How can i retrieve files from old XP installation

I recently had to install a new hard drive due to a boot problem. I "slaved"
the old hard drive and can access everything on it but my files. When I try
to access files from My Documents, I get "access denied" due to the
reinstallation of XP. Is there a simple solution to this, or am I going to
have to pay someone to get the data off. I know i'm going to be yelled at
for not backing up--trust me, i've heard it and don't need to again! I'm a
novice and sadly am learning the hard way. I just need contructive help if
at all possible.

Access is Denied" Error Message When You Try to Open a Folder
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;810881

Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User
Microsoft Newsgroups

"CSBoaz" wrote:

| I recently had to install a new hard drive due to a boot problem. I "slaved"
| the old hard drive and can access everything on it but my files. When I try
| to access files from My Documents, I get "access denied" due to the
| reinstallation of XP. Is there a simple solution to this, or am I going to
| have to pay someone to get the data off. I know i'm going to be yelled at
| for not backing up--trust me, i've heard it and don't need to again! I'm a
| novice and sadly am learning the hard way. I just need contructive help if
| at all possible.

THANK YOU!!! I knew there had to be a relatively simple solution.