Advice on buying specific 4/5MP compact camera

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
May 10, 2004 4:41:40 AM

Hi there.

Since my old Sony cybershot P1 is outdated, I want to buy a new (compact)
digital camera. Things I am looking for:

- Good flash range (is very bad with my current P1)
- Good battery life
- Burst mode, full resolution
- Manual settings (focus, white balance, shutter etc)
- Movie mode (VGA, 640x480 min 15 fps)
- > 4 MPX
- Very compact (shirt pocket size)
- Nice form factor
- AF assist light
- Fast shutter response

Right now I'm looking at:

- Canon digital Ixus 500
- Sony cybershot P100
- Kyocera S5R

All cameras have their pros and cons, I'm looking for some expert advice on
things not listed in most reviews etc. like real battery life (in real
life), speed etc.

Thanks in advance for you contributions!
Anonymous
May 10, 2004 4:41:41 AM

I had a Kyocera S5 and if I couldn't get $300 less than I paid after a month
of use I was going to trash it. Worst thing I have owned even compared to
a 1MP and 2 MP fujifilm.

I have a Pentax 550, 5X zoom, not too bad on shutter delay, flash good to
17' which I haven't found better yet, shirt pocket size, sharp pictures,
every manual mode and overide I can think of, battery lasts about 3-400 pics
over a week shooting ..I have a spare batt but never needed it yet on
vacations (unbelieveable), movie mode only 320x240 though, shirt pocket
size.

"Mischa Coster" <mischa.coster@xs4all.nl> wrote in message
> Hi there.
>
> Since my old Sony cybershot P1 is outdated, I want to buy a new (compact)
> digital camera. Things I am looking for:
>
> - Good flash range (is very bad with my current P1)
> - Good battery life
> - Burst mode, full resolution
> - Manual settings (focus, white balance, shutter etc)
> - Movie mode (VGA, 640x480 min 15 fps)
> - > 4 MPX
> - Very compact (shirt pocket size)
> - Nice form factor
> - AF assist light
> - Fast shutter response
>
> Right now I'm looking at:
>
> - Canon digital Ixus 500
> - Sony cybershot P100
> - Kyocera S5R
>
> All cameras have their pros and cons, I'm looking for some expert advice
on
> things not listed in most reviews etc. like real battery life (in real
> life), speed etc.
>
> Thanks in advance for you contributions!

Anonymous
May 10, 2004 1:15:15 PM

Ok thanx for your advice. Looks like a great camerea, but it is still a full
1 cm thicker and a longer then, for instance, the Canon Ixus. This is a
heavy consideration for me. Other than that, it look like a perfect camera.
What exectly was your negative experience with the Kyocera???

"Gymmy Bob" <NoThanx@spammie.com> wrote in message
news:p f2dnTxhtZYpSwPdRVn-jw@golden.net...
> I had a Kyocera S5 and if I couldn't get $300 less than I paid after a
month
> of use I was going to trash it. Worst thing I have owned even compared
> a 1MP and 2 MP fujifilm.
>
> I have a Pentax 550, 5X zoom, not too bad on shutter delay, flash good to
> 17' which I haven't found better yet, shirt pocket size, sharp pictures,
> every manual mode and overide I can think of, battery lasts about 3-400
pics
> over a week shooting ..I have a spare batt but never needed it yet on
> vacations (unbelieveable), movie mode only 320x240 though, shirt pocket
> size.
>
> "Mischa Coster" <mischa.coster@xs4all.nl> wrote in message
> > Hi there.
> >
> > Since my old Sony cybershot P1 is outdated, I want to buy a new
(compact)
> > digital camera. Things I am looking for:
> >
> > - Good flash range (is very bad with my current P1)
> > - Good battery life
> > - Burst mode, full resolution
> > - Manual settings (focus, white balance, shutter etc)
> > - Movie mode (VGA, 640x480 min 15 fps)
> > - > 4 MPX
> > - Very compact (shirt pocket size)
> > - Nice form factor
> > - AF assist light
> > - Fast shutter response
> >
> > Right now I'm looking at:
> >
> > - Canon digital Ixus 500
> > - Sony cybershot P100
> > - Kyocera S5R
> >
> > All cameras have their pros and cons, I'm looking for some expert advice
> on
> > things not listed in most reviews etc. like real battery life (in real
> > life), speed etc.
> >
> > Thanks in advance for you contributions!

Anonymous
May 10, 2004 10:18:43 PM

It took about 10 seconds to power up, Sometimes I would press the shutter
and people would have walked away before the flash and shutter would go, the
menus were scrambled and not ergonomic for me. The resolution was almost as
bad as my 1 mp Fujifilm, batteries were not bad IIRC, camera was too small
to hang onto and had no finger grab spots. I loved the size but it
impossible not to get your fingers over something. The power button was not
much differennt than the shutter release and many times after composing I
turned the camera off. The main thing was the long (up to 10 seconds)
shutter delay.

If I didn't get a buyer I would have tossed it after two month of owning it.
I waited almost 3 years to get that camera. I wanted and earlier model and
when thsi new one came out I jumped.

The Pentax makes it look like a piece of junk in comparison of operation and
battery life.

!