Sony Launching Ultrabook in December Says Intel

Status
Not open for further replies.

LuckyDucky7

Distinguished
May 5, 2010
Looks interesting.

As long as it offers the same stuff, like a 1920 x 1080 screen (matte, even) and the Power Media Dock which has a Radeon 6650M inside it (you just plug it into the side of the machine), it looks like it's a better option than anything I can think of. And that dock also contains a DVD drive (and I'm sorry, manufacturers, but we still need it). Oh, and did I mention that this thing uses Light Peak?

But why not just release it with an Ivy Bridge processor instead? It's just too close to the release date to bother spending 1500+ dollars on a new laptop with Sandy Bridge in it.

But it looks like the best option of any Ultrabook out there though it's probably going to cost a ludicrous amount of money (i.e. 2500 dollars) for one. I still don't believe the hype that "40% of all computers sold in 2012 will be Ultrabooks" though.

stonedatheist

Distinguished
May 13, 2010
[citation][nom]xX_PEMDAS_Xx[/nom]YAH 1,000 + for.... HD.. intel graphics[/citation]

Exactly my thoughts. There is no reason they can't add a better GPU into them except that the ultrabooks are Intel's idea and they wouldn't let a manufacturer use non-Intel graphics.

Remember the original 15" HP Envys? They were under an inch thick and had ATi mobility 4830s. Talk about awesome, you got the whole package: portability and performance.

halcyon

Splendid
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]So it will be over priced and under powered....sounds like an Apple product.[/citation]

I've always liked Sony products...their design their build quality. In recent years some of both seems to have slipped but the latest VAIO Z is a nice design...but almost freakishly expensive (to me). I also like Apple products. The most relevant to this article and your comment would be the MacBook Air. How is the MacBook Air underpowered? ...its seems to fulfill its intended role quite well. Overpriced to some, a bargain to others. I think an Ultrabook from Sony would likely be gorgeous and will likely cost more than a MacBook Air. ...its getting late, I ramble.

Knowing SONY, this will be too pricey for it's specs. \
I believe that they (the ultrabook people) are betting on the Windows 8 for the solution, and hoping this will be the professional answer to the tablet.

xx_pemdas_xx

Distinguished
May 23, 2011

UMMMM... what good is a macbook air if it can't play games, id rather buy a thicker laptop with better preformance and longevity. The macbook air has no graphic capability just like these ultra books. Have fun with your spread sheets!

halcyon

Splendid

You do realize that not everyone wants to play games on their computers...right? The MacBook Air is selling like hotcakes. Not saying its good or bad, I know THG's forum members tend to dislike anything Apple. I also know the MacBook Air can run image editing programs and audio editing programs quite well. IMO, the MacBook Air/Ultrabook is typically not anyone's primary machine but an luxury ultralight for those that don't need heavy lifting or that can do their heavy lifting elsewhere.

halcyon

Splendid
[citation][nom]eddieroolz[/nom]I personally think Sony already does well in the premium notebook category. In fact if I need high-performance hardware in a slim, sexy silhouette the first I think of is Sony.[/citation]

Makes sense. If you don't want Apple or OSX Sony is your only solution for slim and sexy, IMO.

xx_pemdas_xx

Distinguished
May 23, 2011

Not only will games not work.... in a couple of years its obsolete and you have to get a new one. With better graphics it's performance is vastly improved. I'v played around with the macbookair.. I liked the feel of the product it just was to slow for my taste (when compared to something of the same price range..) and for portability, they come smaller and thinner Prices aside.

http://mashable.com/2011/03/16/samsung-laptop/ (samsung)

http://www.electronista.com/articles/09/10/07/adamo.xps.briefly.teased.in.real.world/ (dell)

I would get my friends new laptop over an ultrabook.... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834214392

halcyon

Splendid

I wonder how well that Dell Adamo XPS and Samsung are selling compared to the Macbook Air, eh? See, they're me-too products. ...and as long as that's what you want, yea. But the currently MacBook Air wipes the floor with both of those, you do know this, I imagine.

xx_pemdas_xx

Distinguished
May 23, 2011

running windows 7 the macbook air mops the floor (because of its LED keyboard :sol: ). The qasmio blows away the macbook air( it has LED keyboard too :sol: ) its 560m can handle almost any program ( expept bit coin mining and wifi hacking). and its sound is soooo good. :ouch:

Status
Not open for further replies.