9800 pro

Is a 9800 pro overclocked to a 9800xt equal in performance?

augustus

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2003

" Jeff McNulty" <bilyzoom@gte.net> wrote in message
> Is a 9800 pro overclocked to a 9800xt equal in performance?

Yes. The primary changes were to remove hotspots on the R350 core to allow
more clocking headroom. Thermal monitoring was added. Many of the current
9800 Pro actually use the R360 core instead of the R350 core. My ATI R350
9800 Pro 128Mb is run at XT spec (412 / 365) gets bang on what a stock
9800XT gets on the same system on every benchmark I've seen ( around 6250
3DMark03)on my Barton 3200 box) The 9800XT has more aggressive stock cooling
than the ATI and Sapphire 9800 Pro card, but mine has never had an issue at
XT clocks with the stock cooler.

augustus

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2003

>> Is a 9800 pro overclocked to a 9800xt equal in performance?
>
> Yes. The primary changes were to remove hotspots on the R350 core to allow
> more clocking headroom. Thermal monitoring was added. Many of the current
> 9800 Pro actually use the R360 core instead of the R350 core. My ATI R350
> 9800 Pro 128Mb is run at XT spec (412 / 365) gets bang on what a stock
> 9800XT gets on the same system on every benchmark I've seen ( around 6250
> 3DMark03)on my Barton 3200 box) The 9800XT has more aggressive stock
> cooling than the ATI and Sapphire 9800 Pro card, but mine has never had an
> issue at XT clocks with the stock cooler.

Forgot to mention that the 9800XT R360 core in the XT also has a couple of
shaders the R350 doesn't have. They're not enabled in R360 9800 Pro's, and
don't make much of difference in speed. So I guess they're not exactly equal
at the same clocks, but so close it's within the margins of test variation.
Most R360 9800 Pro can be flashed with an XT BIOS to enable the shaders and
set the clocks at XT spec.

" Jeff McNulty" <bilyzoom@gte.net> wrote in message
> Is a 9800 pro overclocked to a 9800xt equal in performance?

Set my 9800 pro to the same spec as yours per one of your last post 412/365
.. Have not had a prob even with my son playing NFS underground 2 at 1024x768
max settings all night long. P4 3200 1gig pc3200 3Dmark 03 of 6500. ATI 9800
pro oc'd @ $199.00 has got to be the best bang for the buck cards untill the
fall releases.

augustus

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2003

> Set my 9800 pro to the same spec as yours per one of your last post
> 412/365 . Have not had a prob even with my son playing NFS underground 2
> at 1024x768 max settings all night long. P4 3200 1gig pc3200 3Dmark 03 of
> 6500. ATI 9800 pro oc'd @ $199.00 has got to be the best bang for the buck
> cards untill the fall releases.

Agreed. There's more variation between the various Catalyst versions on
3DMark and various game fps benches than there is between an R350 and R360
core operating at the same speeds. I would expect a P4 3.2 with 1 gig dual
channel to get around 6500. The Barton 3200 is decent but rather
optimistically rated. It performs more on par with a P4 3.0

Daniel

Augustus wrote:

> Agreed. There's more variation between the various Catalyst versions on
> 3DMark and various game fps benches than there is between an R350 and R360
> core operating at the same speeds. I would expect a P4 3.2 with 1 gig dual
> channel to get around 6500. The Barton 3200 is decent but rather
> optimistically rated. It performs more on par with a P4 3.0

Interesting. Do manufacturers say what the actual core is on a 9800Pro,
or is it luck of the draw?

augustus

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2003

> Interesting. Do manufacturers say what the actual core is on a 9800Pro, or
> is it luck of the draw?

No they don't say what it is on the spec sheet or box.....some manufacturers
tend to use them more than others.

"Augustus" <augustus@wrtt.net> wrote in message

>>> Is a 9800 pro overclocked to a 9800xt equal in performance?
>>
>> Yes. The primary changes were to remove hotspots on the R350 core to
>> allow more clocking headroom. Thermal monitoring was added. Many of the
>> current 9800 Pro actually use the R360 core instead of the R350 core. My
>> ATI R350 9800 Pro 128Mb is run at XT spec (412 / 365) gets bang on what a
>> stock 9800XT gets on the same system on every benchmark I've seen (
>> around 6250 3DMark03)on my Barton 3200 box) The 9800XT has more
>> aggressive stock cooling than the ATI and Sapphire 9800 Pro card, but
>> mine has never had an issue at XT clocks with the stock cooler.
>
> Forgot to mention that the 9800XT R360 core in the XT also has a couple of
> shaders the R350 doesn't have. They're not enabled in R360 9800 Pro's, and
> don't make much of difference in speed. So I guess they're not exactly
> equal at the same clocks, but so close it's within the margins of test
> variation. Most R360 9800 Pro can be flashed with an XT BIOS to enable
> the shaders and set the clocks at XT spec.
>Where to download ATI XT bios? Cant find on ATI website. Toms hardware
>review of pro vs xt doesnt show any extra shaders in their specs?

augustus

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2003

..
>>Where to download ATI XT bios? Cant find on ATI website. Toms hardware
>>review of pro vs xt doesnt show any extra shaders in their specs?

What brand and model of card do you have? Is it an R350 or R360 core? Use
Everest or ATI Tool to find out. BIOS must be matched to the type of card.

> .
>>>Where to download ATI XT bios? Cant find on ATI website. Toms hardware
>>>review of pro vs xt doesnt show any extra shaders in their specs?
>
> What brand and model of card do you have? Is it an R350 or R360 core? Use
> Everest or ATI Tool to find out. BIOS must be matched to the type of card.

All I know is that it is a ATI 9800 pro just purchased about a week ago at
comp usa. Will try to find out.

> "Augustus" <augustus@wrtt.net> wrote in message
>> .
>>
>> What brand and model of card do you have? Is it an R350 or R360 core? Use
>> Everest or ATI Tool to find out. BIOS must be matched to the type of
>> card.
>>Thanks for the tip. Everest is a cool info/benchmark. Core is a R350. Can
>>bios be upgraded to a XT?

So this is a 128Mb ATI 9800 Pro R350 card? If so, then no, it can't be
flashed with 9800XT Bios. Your card, like mine, is the first on the list of
the 128Mb cards halfway down the page (see link). I just use ATI Tool to set
the card to XT spec on bootup.

http://www.rojakpot.com/default.aspx?location=3&var1=92&var2=2