wtd:8500dv input/output block

Hi,

Anyone got one of these they don't use (in the uk preferably?). Just
looking out of curiosity mainly, so if they're highly sought
after/expensive then I probably won't bother!

Cheers,
Chris

clhumphreys
(at)
gmail
(dot)
com

These can be bought on E-Bay for under US $10.

Barry Watzman wrote:
> Not Me wrote:
>> Anyone got one of these they don't use (in the uk preferably?). Just
>> looking out of curiosity mainly, so if they're highly sought
>> after/expensive then I probably won't bother!

> These can be bought on E-Bay for under US $10.

Ta, but I couldn't find any just now.. maybe they'll crop up now and
then. I noticed there are some slightly different connectors available,
but I'm wanting one specifically for an 8500dv card (the connector is
~15pin almost squared-D shape).

Cheers,
Chris

"Not Me" <notme.n@da.com.hk.org> wrote in message
> Barry Watzman wrote:
>> Not Me wrote:
>>> Anyone got one of these they don't use (in the uk preferably?). Just
>>> looking out of curiosity mainly, so if they're highly sought
>>> after/expensive then I probably won't bother!
>
> > These can be bought on E-Bay for under US $10.
>
> Ta, but I couldn't find any just now.. maybe they'll crop up now and then.
> I noticed there are some slightly different connectors available, but I'm
> wanting one specifically for an 8500dv card (the connector is ~15pin
> almost squared-D shape).
>
> Cheers,
> Chris

I'm in the UK and got mine from: http://www.blisware.com/ - the website is
currently playing up though and its been a while since I visited their
website so I don't know if they're still trading. It was about £15 from
memory including postage... and yes that was specifically for an 8500DV.
Pity you weren't looking at eBay Uk at the start of the month - one went
here
for £7
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=27387&item=5168906175

Good luck.

Paul

Not Me wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Anyone got one of these they don't use (in the uk preferably?). Just
> looking out of curiosity mainly, so if they're highly sought
> after/expensive then I probably won't bother!
>
> Cheers,
> Chris
>
> clhumphreys
> (at)
> gmail
> (dot)
> com

search 8500dv in ebay, I see a few for sale. tho UK might be a task. heck
the complete 8500dv and cable might be a way to get what you want, they
are going cheap these days.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=40158&item=5175977254&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Paul Murphy wrote:
> "Not Me" <notme.n@da.com.hk.org> wrote in message
>
> I'm in the UK and got mine from: http://www.blisware.com/ - the website is
> currently playing up though and its been a while since I visited their
> website so I don't know if they're still trading. It was about £15 from
> memory including postage... and yes that was specifically for an 8500DV.
> Pity you weren't looking at eBay Uk at the start of the month - one went
> here
> for £7
> http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=27387&item=5168906175

Just my luck! Cheers for the link

Chris

Not Me wrote:

> Paul Murphy wrote:
>> "Not Me" <notme.n@da.com.hk.org> wrote in message
>>
>> I'm in the UK and got mine from: http://www.blisware.com/ - the website
>> is currently playing up though and its been a while since I visited their
>> website so I don't know if they're still trading. It was about £15 from
>> memory including postage... and yes that was specifically for an 8500DV.
>> Pity you weren't looking at eBay Uk at the start of the month - one went
>> here
>> for £7

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=27387&item=5168906175

> Just my luck! Cheers for the link

You can get them direct from ATI--they have an international link with the
price $40US and shipping.

Be very careful about getting this particular part off of ebay--they are
quite fragile--that big square connector block without a strong retention
was a design blunder and it's easy for pins to get bent or broken off.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

Gordon Scott wrote:
> Not Me wrote:

>>Anyone got one of these they don't use (in the uk preferably?). Just
>>looking out of curiosity mainly, so if they're highly sought
>>after/expensive then I probably won't bother!

> search 8500dv in ebay, I see a few for sale. tho UK might be a task. heck
> the complete 8500dv and cable might be a way to get what you want, they
> are going cheap these days.
>
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=40158&item=5175977254&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

I'll keep a lookout, cheers

Chris

"J. Clarke" <jclarke.usenet@snet.net.invalid> wrote in message
<snip>
> Be very careful about getting this particular part off of ebay--they are
> quite fragile--that big square connector block without a strong retention
> was a design blunder and it's easy for pins to get bent or broken off.

Perhaps they've modified them at some stage - looking at mine (which was
only recently acquired in a sealed bag), the pins are shorter than the outer
shield so the only way to bend them would be if something was poked into
where the pins are, from end on - i.e. users abusing them. I agree its
always a good idea to be wary when buying from eBay though. I checked again
today and that Blisware site is still playing up and their eBay shop is
still empty - looks like that cable/adapter I listed the link to was the
second to last item Blisware had received eBay feedback for. Unless the OP
needs this super urgently, there are bound to be other chances coming along
to pick one up for much less than $40 + postage. It reminds me of when ATI
in Canada were charging over the odds for MMC CDs to those in the US and
Canada. I was sent 2 of them for free by their Ireland office (they must
have had me listed twice on their database) - very handy since I have 3 All
In Wonder Radeon cards.

Paul

Paul Murphy wrote:

> "J. Clarke" <jclarke.usenet@snet.net.invalid> wrote in message
> <snip>
>> Be very careful about getting this particular part off of ebay--they are
>> quite fragile--that big square connector block without a strong retention
>> was a design blunder and it's easy for pins to get bent or broken off.
>
> Perhaps they've modified them at some stage - looking at mine (which was
> only recently acquired in a sealed bag), the pins are shorter than the
> outer shield so the only way to bend them would be if something was poked
> into where the pins are, from end on - i.e. users abusing them.

You haven't seen what happens to that outer shield after a few years of use
then. It _looks_ durable and seems to lock, but it comes apart with
amazing ease with only very slight side pressure, and when it does the
shield bends. And after a while it's belled sufficiently that it provides
no alignment. And then it's very easy to get the connector positioned so
that one or more pins gets bent. And once that happens it's only time
before they start breaking.

On the AIW 9600 ATI used a similar connector, only it screws down. There's
a reason they added the screws.

--

<snip>
> You haven't seen what happens to that outer shield after a few years of
> use
> then. It _looks_ durable and seems to lock, but it comes apart with
> amazing ease with only very slight side pressure, and when it does the
> shield bends. And after a while it's belled sufficiently that it provides
> no alignment. And then it's very easy to get the connector positioned so
> that one or more pins gets bent. And once that happens it's only time
> before they start breaking.
>
> On the AIW 9600 ATI used a similar connector, only it screws down.
> There's
> a reason they added the screws.

<snip>
So if the OP buys a new one (which can be found on eBay), it's not likely to
pose a problem for at least a couple of years. Given that the 8500DV is
already an antique by graphics card standards (and is no longer being
supported by ATIs latest MMC versions), I wouldn't think this will be a
problem that most people buying new cables these days would own them long
enough to experience. I think it would also depend highly on how often and
how gently this thing is plugged in and unplugged. I will take note of those
comments and watch out for such symptoms on my cable end though - thanks for
the tip.

Paul

Paul Murphy wrote:

> "J. Clarke" <jclarke.usenet@snet.net.invalid> wrote in message
> <snip>
>> You haven't seen what happens to that outer shield after a few years of
>> use
>> then. It _looks_ durable and seems to lock, but it comes apart with
>> amazing ease with only very slight side pressure, and when it does the
>> shield bends. And after a while it's belled sufficiently that it
>> provides
>> no alignment. And then it's very easy to get the connector positioned so
>> that one or more pins gets bent. And once that happens it's only time
>> before they start breaking.
>>
>> On the AIW 9600 ATI used a similar connector, only it screws down.
>> There's
>> a reason they added the screws.
>>
> <snip>
> So if the OP buys a new one (which can be found on eBay), it's not likely
> to pose a problem for at least a couple of years. Given that the 8500DV is
> already an antique by graphics card standards (and is no longer being
> supported by ATIs latest MMC versions), I wouldn't think this will be a
> problem that most people buying new cables these days would own them long
> enough to experience. I think it would also depend highly on how often and
> how gently this thing is plugged in and unplugged. I will take note of
> those comments and watch out for such symptoms on my cable end though -
> thanks for the tip.

As long as it's _new_ you should be fine. The trouble with ebay is that
people _will_ put used cables up for sale. Hence my caution.