Need help installing Half Life 2 Demo

Hi,

Here is my computer description:
PIII 933MHz
4MB video card
10GB HD
256MB RAM
17' monitor
(I know this is below minimal recommended specs.)

When I install the steaminstall_hl2demo.exe, it keep failing saying: "An
I/O error occured while installing a file. This is normally caused by
bad installation media or a corrupt installation file."

Why am I having this error? I haven't found any helpful information
about it on the net. I hope that it is not my computer configuration
that raise this error.

What do you thing?

Thanks you very much.

Marty
3 answers Last reply
More about need installing half life demo

    "Marty" <xmarty99@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > Here is my computer description:
    > PIII 933MHz
    > 4MB video card
    > 10GB HD
    > 256MB RAM
    > 17' monitor
    > (I know this is below minimal recommended specs.)
    >
    > When I install the steaminstall_hl2demo.exe, it keep failing saying: "An
    > I/O error occured while installing a file. This is normally caused by bad
    > installation media or a corrupt installation file."
    >
    > Why am I having this error? I haven't found any helpful information about
    > it on the net. I hope that it is not my computer configuration that raise
    > this error.
    >
    > What do you thing?
    >
    > Thanks you very much.
    >
    > Marty

    I can't answer your question but HL2 certainly won't run at all with 4meg of
    Video.......

    I hope that's a typo "64MB video card" maybe?

    Corrupted could mean that the file you have is not complete.
    You may need to download it again.

    "Craig Coope" <coope1999@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > "Marty" <xmarty99@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Here is my computer description:
    >> PIII 933MHz
    >> 4MB video card
    >> 10GB HD
    >> 256MB RAM
    >> 17' monitor
    >> (I know this is below minimal recommended specs.)
    >>
    >> When I install the steaminstall_hl2demo.exe, it keep failing saying: "An
    >> I/O error occured while installing a file. This is normally caused by
    >> bad installation media or a corrupt installation file."
    >>
    >> Why am I having this error? I haven't found any helpful information
    >> about it on the net. I hope that it is not my computer configuration
    >> that raise this error.
    >>
    >> What do you thing?
    >>
    >> Thanks you very much.
    >>
    >> Marty
    >
    > I can't answer your question but HL2 certainly won't run at all with 4meg
    > of Video.......

    Hi Gooofy,

    its not a typo mistake, I really have 4MD video card. I thaught that I
    could at least install the game and try to make it run by selecting very
    low game improvement features, if they exist, like low display
    resolution, etc.

    I'll have to check for a better video card.

    The file I downloaded (steaminstall_hl2demo.exe) id doing 769 270KB
    (from windows explorer) and the size on disk (from property tab) is
    doing 787 732 480 bytes, does it match with yours?

    I think that if the installation file was corrupt, it wouldn't start at
    all, isn't it?

    Have a nice day :)

    Marty

    Gooofy wrote:
    > I hope that's a typo "64MB video card" maybe?
    >
    > Corrupted could mean that the file you have is not complete.
    > You may need to download it again.
    >
    > "Craig Coope" <coope1999@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>"Marty" <xmarty99@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>Hi,
    >>>
    >>>Here is my computer description:
    >>>PIII 933MHz
    >>>4MB video card
    >>>10GB HD
    >>>256MB RAM
    >>>17' monitor
    >>>(I know this is below minimal recommended specs.)
    >>>
    >>>When I install the steaminstall_hl2demo.exe, it keep failing saying: "An
    >>>I/O error occured while installing a file. This is normally caused by
    >>>bad installation media or a corrupt installation file."
    >>>
    >>>Why am I having this error? I haven't found any helpful information
    >>>about it on the net. I hope that it is not my computer configuration
    >>>that raise this error.
    >>>
    >>>What do you thing?
    >>>
    >>>Thanks you very much.
    >>>
    >>>Marty
    >>
    >>I can't answer your question but HL2 certainly won't run at all with 4meg
    >>of Video.......

Computers Video Games