Tweak XP Folder Protection

Braindead Wrote:

> Will try this tip Malke. Although i'm careful when trying stuff like
> this, i do have a nasty habit of nausing things up, but will let you
> know how i get on, or come for more help if needed. Thanks again.

I knew i'd be back.
I now have the OS on cd and successfully booted with it. It looks quite
an appealing OS to use, but after half an hour of trying to get used to
it, i still can't find how to look for my files. Can you point me in
the right direction Malke?
Thanks again in advance.

--
Braindead
2 answers Last reply

    Braindead wrote:

    > Braindead Wrote:
    >>
    >> Will try this tip Malke. Although i'm careful when trying stuff like
    >> this, i do have a nasty habit of nausing things up, but will let you
    >> know how i get on, or come for more help if needed. Thanks again.
    >
    > I knew i'd be back.
    > I now have the OS on cd and successfully booted with it. It looks
    > quite an appealing OS to use, but after half an hour of trying to get
    > used to it, i still can't find how to look for my files. Can you point
    > me in the right direction Malke?
    > Thanks again in advance.

    I see my name, but because you didn't post to a previous thread or
    reference it in any way, I don't know what you're talking about. What
    OS on cd? What tip?

    Please tell me what you are doing so I can help you.

    Malke
    --
    MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
    Elephant Boy Computers

    Braindead wrote:

    > Braindead Wrote:
    >>
    >> Will try this tip Malke. Although i'm careful when trying stuff like
    >> this, i do have a nasty habit of nausing things up, but will let you
    >> know how i get on, or come for more help if needed. Thanks again.
    >
    > I knew i'd be back.
    > I now have the OS on cd and successfully booted with it. It looks
    > quite an appealing OS to use, but after half an hour of trying to get
    > used to it, i still can't find how to look for my files. Can you point
    > me in the right direction Malke?
    > Thanks again in advance.

    My foggy memory was jogged by some Diet Pepsi. ;-) Are you the poster
    that was trying to get data from an password-protected folder? Are you
    talking about using Knoppix? After booting with Knoppix, you'll be at a
    desktop that will look like Windows. You'll have a window with Knoppix
    information open. Close it. Now you should have icons for hard drives
    and partitions. In Linux, we don't have a "C:" drive; we have hda1,
    hda2, etc. If you only have one hard drive with one partition, you want
    to click on hda1. A single-click is used in Linux as the default
    instead of the Windows double-click.

    So, single-click on (let's say) hda1. You will see familiar icons
    representing your files just the way you would see them in Windows.
    Navigate to the folder where your data is. Your next step depends on
    whether you are going to transfer the files to a usb thumb drive or
    burn them to cd-r. If the former, you will have an icon for the thumb
    drive on the desktop which you can open, just like you did hda1. You
    can then left-click and drag your data to the thumb drive and choose
    "copy".

    If you want to burn the files to cd-r, click on the big button that is
    where the Windows Start button is and find the K3b program. IIRC it is
    under System Utilities, but I'm not in Knoppix right now. Look around
    for it - don't be afraid! Use K3b just the same way you would use Nero
    or Roxio.

    Malke
    --
    MS-MVP Windows User/Shell