Trend OfficeScan spyware detection issues

I spent 3 hours on the phone yesterday with Trend Micro working on a problem
that we observed.

The short synopsis is that their OfficeScan V7.0 spyware/adware/greyware
detection and remediation application is, in my opinion, badly broken and can
wreak havoc in an enterprise.

OfficeScan corporate edition version 7.0 includes a spyware/adware/greyware
detection and cleanup feature. After our upgrade installation of V7.0, we
noticed a significant detection rate (~50%) of HKTL_Bruteforce.A,
SPYW_Csnoop.A, SPYW_Marketscore.A, and SPYW_Gator, among others. I started
looking into these detections and became alarmed at what I found. Searching
Trend's website for information on these detections told me that I should be
seeing as many as 20 or so different files that has been placed on the
supposedly infected machine by the exploit. When I checked the client logs,
there was only one file and in some cases a few registry values/keys that had
been identified and deleted. Here are some details on the files that were
deleted:

Bruteforce.A: C:\WINNT\system32\regobj.dll
Csnoop.A: C:\WINNT\uninst.exe
Marketscore.A: C:\WINNT\system32\sporder.dll
Gator: C:\WINNT\system32\wbem\Logs\wmiadap.log

I did some more research on these files and found that these were all
legitimate system files that were used by other processes and were actually
part of our base image. These files are used by VB app runtimes,
InstallShield uninstall routines, Winsock LSP chains, and WMI providers and
readers.
There were also a number of registry keys/values that were deleted during
this detection. (most reg entries were in HKLM\software\classes and consisted
of guids.)

I contacted Trend's customer support to find out why their product was
deleting these files without any cross-checking with the virus pattern files
to determine if the files being deleted were indeed malicious.
Long story short, they don’t check. If even one file from the detection
definition matches the pattern definition, it triggers the anti-spyware
action. This includes legitimate system files.
It would be easy to write a spyware app that drops a perfectly legit copy of
ntoskrnl.exe or something like that which would then be detected and deleted.

I asked Trend if they had a fix for the machines that had had these system
files and registry entries deleted. Their answer, after well over an hour of
checking, was "you need to copy the files from a good system back to the
damaged system. You need to recreate the registry entries by hand as well."
They do not have a tool to fix the problems that their app causes. They
admitted that this product was broken.
They did know about the regobj.dll problem, and had labeled that as a false
positive already. They opened a case to look into the additional false
positives, since they said their engine shouldn't have done what it did.
There is an updated spyware engine and client pattern file available that
supposedly prevents the regobj.dll detection, but there's a catch on that.

Most of us set our AV apps to update from the manufacturer once per day or
once per hour. We then know that our pattern files will be as current as
possible.
Problem is, the DCS component, which is what performs the automatic updates
for the spyware engine (as compared to the AV engine), requires purchase of a
different product (the DCS product) in order to be fully operational (as in
allowing automatic updates), even though the anti-spyware interface is
installed and functional as part of the OfficeScan console install, is not
greyed out, and that additional purchase requirement is not documented in
their manuals. So, unless I want to purchase their DCS component, I have to
manually get the files from Trend each time I want to update, and then
manually install them on the server and restart the master service. I can use
the anti-spyware component, but can't update it.
New buzzword - hostageware.

So, to recap, I believe that the spyware detection component of Trend
Micro's OfficeScan V7.0 is badly broken. Not only does it not perform
detailed inspection of possible spyware, it deletes legitimate system files
and registry entries. It also does not allow for automatic updates that could
correct this type of problem unless you are willing to purchase another
license that isn't mentioned in your admin or installation manual. Oh, and
when it does damage your systems, you have to touch each one and fix it
manually. No fix tool.

Thankfully, we have not yet migrated our servers running Trend's
ServerProtect to the recommended OfficeScan product. So far our only effect
is on client PCs.

I am awaiting further explanations/fixes from Trend on this issue. My
recommendation in the meantime is that if you are running Trend OfficeScan
v7.0, you inspect your settings to see if you are scanning for
spyware/adware/greyware and evaluate whether this scanning method and its
ramifications are going to adversely affect your environment. If you are
seeing similar actions in your environment, I would contact Trend and ask
them why they are using this method to detect spyware and how they are going
to fix it.

Trend's AV product has been pretty good to us over the years. Their new
version, however, specifically the spyware detection app, does not seem to
have anywhere near the quality that we are used to from them. The abysmal
detection logic and inability of Trend's technical support to adequately
address this issue have lead us to begin evaluating other antivirus vendors.

Charlie

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:EA59C194-D7A0-44D0-9B2D-74C5C78DE31F@microsoft.com,
falconerck1 <falconerck1@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> New buzzword - hostageware.

Thank you very much for the warning. Have you considered letting some of
your peers in the IT industry know by forwarding your findings to the
various magazines for potential inclusion? It's been my recommendation that
people avoid "suites" for security software, this strengthens my resolve so
once again thank you for sharing. Would you have any objections if I copied
that, in it's entirety, and placed it into a forum with your name still
attached?

Galen

without them."

Sherlock Holmes

I have. I've forwarded this to an NT Systems Admin Issues list I'm on,
Windows IT Pro magazine, and the office of the CEO and PR departments at
Trend. I also plan on forwarding it to Redmond mag. Any other suggestions?

Which forum did you want to post it to?

"Galen" wrote:

> Thank you very much for the warning. Have you considered letting some of
> your peers in the IT industry know by forwarding your findings to the
> various magazines for potential inclusion? It's been my recommendation that
> people avoid "suites" for security software, this strengthens my resolve so
> once again thank you for sharing. Would you have any objections if I copied
> that, in it's entirety, and placed it into a forum with your name still
> attached?
>
> Galen
> --
>
> "But there are always some lunatics about. It would be a dull world
> without them."
>
> Sherlock Holmes

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:9780E982-9A81-4298-B076-A3DFFEA5C16C@microsoft.com,
falconerck1 <falconerck1@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> I have. I've forwarded this to an NT Systems Admin Issues list I'm on,
> Windows IT Pro magazine, and the office of the CEO and PR departments
> at Trend. I also plan on forwarding it to Redmond mag. Any other
> suggestions?
>
> Which forum did you want to post it to?

Just this one here:

http://kgiii.info/phpBB2/index.php

It's pretty empty (it's not really even supposed to be "live" at the moment
but a couple of people joined in as the link was on one of the pages even
though we're still really just designing the site and not too worried about
content yet) but it would make a decent thread starter in the security
section perhaps and is really well composed and informative.

Galen

without them."

Sherlock Holmes