9800, 2 displays, streaming video on 2nd display

Hi-

I have an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro with a samsung 910T LCD connected to the
DVI port and a samsung 915v connected to the analog port. Running
WinXP sp2, with Catalyst 5.3 drivers / control panel installed.

The DVI monitor is my primary display (and is on the left).

All seems well, except for video files on the 2nd display. I'm talking
about video played in Real Player or with Window Media Player. The
video window is simply black on the 2nd display, but it works fine on
the primary display.

When I launch the ATI Control Panel, and have the video on the first
monitor, I can control the "video overlay" settings. However, if I
drage the video window to the analog display, select "2. RADEON 9800
PRO - Secondary" as the Graphics Adapter in the Control Panel, the
video overlay controls are not enabled. Above it mentions: "The
overlay controls are automatically activated during playback of any
video file type that supports overlay adjustments."

I do hear sound when the video is on #2, so I know it's playing, but it
seems that the contrast is at 0 for the window.

Any clues?

I've tried an uninstall of all ATI products, checked that there were no
more obvious entries in the registry, and installed fresh using
Catalyst 5.3. No change. Same problem.

Kindly,
Ken
4 answers Last reply
More about 9800 displays streaming video display

    Hmm. Interesting. I'm actually using UltraMon already. Was there a
    specific setting you changed to get it to work?

    THanks.

    "Ken Post" <nntp.post@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi-
    >
    > I have an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro with a samsung 910T LCD connected to the
    > DVI port and a samsung 915v connected to the analog port. Running
    > WinXP sp2, with Catalyst 5.3 drivers / control panel installed.
    >

    > The DVI monitor is my primary display (and is on the left).
    >
    > All seems well, except for video files on the 2nd display. I'm talking
    > about video played in Real Player or with Window Media Player. The
    > video window is simply black on the 2nd display, but it works fine on
    > the primary display.
    >
    > When I launch the ATI Control Panel, and have the video on the first
    > monitor, I can control the "video overlay" settings. However, if I
    > drage the video window to the analog display, select "2. RADEON 9800
    > PRO - Secondary" as the Graphics Adapter in the Control Panel, the
    > video overlay controls are not enabled. Above it mentions: "The
    > overlay controls are automatically activated during playback of any
    > video file type that supports overlay adjustments."
    >
    > I do hear sound when the video is on #2, so I know it's playing, but it
    > seems that the contrast is at 0 for the window.
    >
    > Any clues?
    >
    > I've tried an uninstall of all ATI products, checked that there were no
    > more obvious entries in the registry, and installed fresh using
    > Catalyst 5.3. No change. Same problem.
    >
    > Kindly,
    > Ken

    I solved this by using a program called Ultramon by a company called
    www.realtimesoft.com

[...]

    Ken,

    Just a quick reply to say that I have exactly the same setup with the only
    difference being my pri is a Hitachi CM752 CRT (needs to be primary for my
    default gamma correction).

    Video on either or to TV s-video on Secondary is working here so maybe I can
    help you out.

    Try using Nero Showtime

    regards,

    Beemer

    I have the EXACT same problem with the EXACT same configuration. The
    only difference is that I am using 2 EIZO 19" monitors...other than
    that I am using an ATI Radeon 9800 w/ 1 monitor on the DVI, the other
    on the VGA connector and I am using the Ultramon app.

    When I move Windows media player or Realplayer from the primary to the
    secondary, the video stops playing but I hear the sound fine.

    Has anyone found a solution to the problem? It's VERY frustrating...

Radeon Video ATI Graphics Displays