Do I have to enable something in XP to view CHM files that are on a network?

From: "Bett" <Bett@discussions.microsoft.com>

| I also had this problem and applied the below registry edit (Thanks!) using a
| GPO computer startup script. However, the startup scripts now take ten
| minutes to complete on a Windows 2000 PC. I disabled the GPO and things are
| back to normal. I guess I will have to figure out another way to roll this
| out to the enterprise. I've run batch files before in GPO startup scripts
| without problem, don't know why this one is causing such long processing time.

Create a REG file from the post and in your Login Script execute...

regedit /s RegFileName.reg

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

That's exactly what I did per the KB instructions, startup script still hangs
like it's waiting for user input. When I run the batch file in the UI, it
executes great, no problems, no waiting for user input. Are startup scripts
like this considered anonymous access to the registry? I do have that
restricted via another GPO.

From: "Bett" <Bett@discussions.microsoft.com>

| That's exactly what I did per the KB instructions, startup script still hangs
| like it's waiting for user input. When I run the batch file in the UI, it
| executes great, no problems, no waiting for user input. Are startup scripts
| like this considered anonymous access to the registry? I do have that
| restricted via another GPO.

I haven't read the KB article that is just the way I would go about it.

However, the user running the script would have to have sufficient rights to modify the
Registry.

I don't have specific information in that arena. Sorry :-(

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

If you copied the registry keys out of the earlier replies, it will not
work as there is an extra space between the 1.x and the \

A corrected version is shown below copy this and save it as hhctl.reg
and apply the file to the registry.

REGEDIT4
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\HTMLHelp]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\HTMLHelp\1.x\HHRestrictions]
"MaxAllowedZone"=dword:00000001
"EnableFrameNavigationInSafeMode"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\HTMLHelp\1.x\ItssRestrictions]
"MaxAllowedZone"=dword:00000001

This should now work

Hope this is of some help.

--
dazfitzgPosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access

From: "dazfitzg" <dazfitzg.1s23hz@>

| If you copied the registry keys out of the earlier replies, it will not
| work as there is an extra space between the 1.x and the \
|
| A corrected version is shown below copy this and save it as hhctl.regand apply the file to
| the registry.
|
| REGEDIT4
| [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\HTMLHelp]
| [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\HTMLHelp\1.x\HHRestrictions]
| "MaxAllowedZone"=dword:00000001
| "EnableFrameNavigationInSafeMode"=dword:00000001
|
| [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\HTMLHelp\1.x\ItssRestrictions]
| "MaxAllowedZone"=dword:00000001
|
| This should now work
|
| Hope this is of some help.-- dazfitzgPosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup
access

That cool !

I must admit that I did not even look into the Registry data. Thanx for updating the thread
with this.