Loosing signal strength

I started loosing signal strength on my laptop yesterday. For weeks the
signal strength has been rated as Excellent to Good. Now it varies from Good
to Low to Disconnected, and this is not just a temporary thing. I have tried
it several times over the past 8 hours - same result.

I am using a D-Link DI-714P+ wireless router, and my laptop has a Netgear
MA521 wireless card. The laptop is a Gateway model 400SD4. My OS for the
laptop is Windows XP Home Edition. The laptop is the only computer I have
connected as wireless, although I also have 2 desktops wired to the router
with CAT 5 cable. Both of them can access the internet without any problems.

There has been nothing done to any of my hardware or software recently, and
I don't have anything such as a portable phone emitting spurious signals.

Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks.
6 answers Last reply
More about loosing signal strength

    I'm not 100% sure that I found the answer, but I powered the router and the
    cable modem down for 1 minute, then powered them both back up. After that,
    the signal strength was back to Excellent.

    Can anyone explain this? Thanks.

    "Papa" <bikingis@my.fun> wrote in message
    > I started loosing signal strength on my laptop yesterday. For weeks the
    > signal strength has been rated as Excellent to Good. Now it varies from
    Good
    > to Low to Disconnected, and this is not just a temporary thing. I have
    tried
    > it several times over the past 8 hours - same result.
    >
    > I am using a D-Link DI-714P+ wireless router, and my laptop has a Netgear
    > MA521 wireless card. The laptop is a Gateway model 400SD4. My OS for the
    > laptop is Windows XP Home Edition. The laptop is the only computer I have
    > connected as wireless, although I also have 2 desktops wired to the router
    > with CAT 5 cable. Both of them can access the internet without any
    problems.

    > There has been nothing done to any of my hardware or software recently,
    and
    > I don't have anything such as a portable phone emitting spurious signals.
    >
    > Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks.

    Follow up. I was using the laptop for about 30 minutes, and signal strength
    was rated as Excellent. I was looking at some files from another computer in
    my LAN. Then the signal strength began dropping until I lost the connection
    entirely. The only possible cause I can think of was that I was running the
    laptop on battery only. I checked the battery monitor and it reported 1.65
    hours remaining.

    I hope that this is not typical behavior for wireless. If it is, forget
    reliability.

    > I'm not 100% sure that I found the answer, but I powered the router and
    the
    > cable modem down for 1 minute, then powered them both back up. After that,
    > the signal strength was back to Excellent.
    >
    > Can anyone explain this? Thanks.
    >
    > "Papa" <bikingis@my.fun> wrote in message
    > > I started loosing signal strength on my laptop yesterday. For weeks the
    > > signal strength has been rated as Excellent to Good. Now it varies from
    > Good
    > > to Low to Disconnected, and this is not just a temporary thing. I have
    > tried
    > > it several times over the past 8 hours - same result.
    > >
    > > I am using a D-Link DI-714P+ wireless router, and my laptop has a
    Netgear
    > > MA521 wireless card. The laptop is a Gateway model 400SD4. My OS for the
    > > laptop is Windows XP Home Edition. The laptop is the only computer I
    have
    > > connected as wireless, although I also have 2 desktops wired to the
    router
    > > with CAT 5 cable. Both of them can access the internet without any
    > problems.
    > >
    > > There has been nothing done to any of my hardware or software recently,
    > and
    > > I don't have anything such as a portable phone emitting spurious
    signals.

    > > Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks.

    Another follow up. Without recharging the battery, today I reset the router
    and that resulted in Excellent signal strength - but for how long?

    > Follow up. I was using the laptop for about 30 minutes, and signal
    strength
    > was rated as Excellent. I was looking at some files from another computer
    in
    > my LAN. Then the signal strength began dropping until I lost the
    connection
    > entirely. The only possible cause I can think of was that I was running
    the
    > laptop on battery only. I checked the battery monitor and it reported 1.65
    > hours remaining.
    >
    > I hope that this is not typical behavior for wireless. If it is, forget
    > reliability.
    >
    > "Papa" <bikingis@my.fun> wrote in message
    > > I'm not 100% sure that I found the answer, but I powered the router and
    > the
    > > cable modem down for 1 minute, then powered them both back up. After
    that,
    > > the signal strength was back to Excellent.
    > >
    > > Can anyone explain this? Thanks.
    > >
    > > "Papa" <bikingis@my.fun> wrote in message
    > > > I started loosing signal strength on my laptop yesterday. For weeks
    the
    > > > signal strength has been rated as Excellent to Good. Now it varies
    from
    > > Good
    > > > to Low to Disconnected, and this is not just a temporary thing. I have
    > > tried
    > > > it several times over the past 8 hours - same result.
    > > >
    > > > I am using a D-Link DI-714P+ wireless router, and my laptop has a
    > Netgear
    > > > MA521 wireless card. The laptop is a Gateway model 400SD4. My OS for
    the
    > > > laptop is Windows XP Home Edition. The laptop is the only computer I
    > have
    > > > connected as wireless, although I also have 2 desktops wired to the
    > router
    > > > with CAT 5 cable. Both of them can access the internet without any
    > > problems.
    > > >
    > > > There has been nothing done to any of my hardware or software
    recently,
    > > and
    > > > I don't have anything such as a portable phone emitting spurious
    > signals.
    > > >
    > > > Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks.

    my guess would be is that the transmitter in the router is going bad. after
    its on for a while it heats up and looses output. it could also be that
    there is something turning the power down on the router, i don't know why it
    would do that on purpose, but maybe there is a bug in the router code that
    does that... check with the mfg to see if there is an update for it.

    > Another follow up. Without recharging the battery, today I reset the
    router
    > and that resulted in Excellent signal strength - but for how long?
    >
    > "Papa" <bikingis@my.fun> wrote in message
    > > Follow up. I was using the laptop for about 30 minutes, and signal
    > strength
    > > was rated as Excellent. I was looking at some files from another
    computer
    > in
    > > my LAN. Then the signal strength began dropping until I lost the
    > connection
    > > entirely. The only possible cause I can think of was that I was running
    > the
    > > laptop on battery only. I checked the battery monitor and it reported
    1.65
    > > hours remaining.
    > >
    > > I hope that this is not typical behavior for wireless. If it is, forget
    > > reliability.
    > >
    > > "Papa" <bikingis@my.fun> wrote in message
    > > > I'm not 100% sure that I found the answer, but I powered the router
    and
    > > the
    > > > cable modem down for 1 minute, then powered them both back up. After
    > that,
    > > > the signal strength was back to Excellent.
    > > >
    > > > Can anyone explain this? Thanks.
    > > >
    > > > "Papa" <bikingis@my.fun> wrote in message
    > the
    > from
    > > > Good
    > > > tried

    > > Netgear
    > the
    > > have
    > > router
    > > > problems.

    > recently,
    > > > and
    > > signals.

    Hi Dave:

    Judging from similar complaints in this NG from people using a variety of
    routers, that seems unlikely - but who knows?? I'll check with the router
    manufacturer, and take a look at my laptop's power saving settings.

    Thanks for responding.

    "Dave" <noone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    > my guess would be is that the transmitter in the router is going bad.
    after
    > its on for a while it heats up and looses output. it could also be that
    > there is something turning the power down on the router, i don't know why
    it
    > would do that on purpose, but maybe there is a bug in the router code that
    > does that... check with the mfg to see if there is an update for it.
    >
    > "Papa" <bikingis@my.fun> wrote in message
    > > Another follow up. Without recharging the battery, today I reset the
    > router
    > > and that resulted in Excellent signal strength - but for how long?
    > >
    > > "Papa" <bikingis@my.fun> wrote in message
    > > > Follow up. I was using the laptop for about 30 minutes, and signal
    > > strength
    > > > was rated as Excellent. I was looking at some files from another
    > computer
    > > in
    > > > my LAN. Then the signal strength began dropping until I lost the
    > > connection
    > > > entirely. The only possible cause I can think of was that I was
    running
    > > the
    > > > laptop on battery only. I checked the battery monitor and it reported
    > 1.65
    > > > hours remaining.
    > > >
    > > > I hope that this is not typical behavior for wireless. If it is,
    forget
    > > > reliability.
    > > >
    > > > "Papa" <bikingis@my.fun> wrote in message
    > and
    > > > the
    > > that,

    > > the
    > > from
    > have

    > > > Netgear
    > > the
    > > > have
    > > > router

    > > recently,
    > > > signals.

    After reading the threads here, searching for some answers to my wireless connection problems, it sounds like you and I have similar problems. I bought the wireless Dell Inspiron 5100 laptop 6 months ago and have had this problem. It shares the modem with two desktops. I could be connected for hours, then it loses its connection, then back again. It is so frustrating when you are working on something. Other times it goes in and out continuously.

    Have you found any solutions that may assist me in my problem. I thought that there may be a setting or something that I missed or don't know about.

    Thanks

    "Papa" wrote:

    > Follow up. I was using the laptop for about 30 minutes, and signal strength
    > was rated as Excellent. I was looking at some files from another computer in
    > my LAN. Then the signal strength began dropping until I lost the connection
    > entirely. The only possible cause I can think of was that I was running the
    > laptop on battery only. I checked the battery monitor and it reported 1.65
    > hours remaining.
    >
    > I hope that this is not typical behavior for wireless. If it is, forget
    > reliability.
    >
    > "Papa" <bikingis@my.fun> wrote in message
    > > I'm not 100% sure that I found the answer, but I powered the router and
    > the
    > > cable modem down for 1 minute, then powered them both back up. After that,
    > > the signal strength was back to Excellent.
    > >
    > > Can anyone explain this? Thanks.
    > >
    > > "Papa" <bikingis@my.fun> wrote in message
    > > > I started loosing signal strength on my laptop yesterday. For weeks the
    > > > signal strength has been rated as Excellent to Good. Now it varies from
    > > Good
    > > > to Low to Disconnected, and this is not just a temporary thing. I have
    > > tried
    > > > it several times over the past 8 hours - same result.
    > > >
    > > > I am using a D-Link DI-714P+ wireless router, and my laptop has a
    > Netgear
    > > > MA521 wireless card. The laptop is a Gateway model 400SD4. My OS for the
    > > > laptop is Windows XP Home Edition. The laptop is the only computer I
    > have
    > > > connected as wireless, although I also have 2 desktops wired to the
    > router
    > > > with CAT 5 cable. Both of them can access the internet without any
    > > problems.
    > > >
    > > > There has been nothing done to any of my hardware or software recently,
    > > and
    > > > I don't have anything such as a portable phone emitting spurious
    > signals.
    > > >
    > > > Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks.

Laptops Wireless Wireless Networking