RAGE Issues Have Some Wondering About DOOM 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
i think Id needs to re evaluate teh market on a whole. nothing they or carmack have done in the last 15- 20 years has been truely revolutionary.
doom3 came close , in teh graphics area,but was overshadowed by Far cry which came out a year ahead of it and looked better by some gamer's opinions , game play wise nothing Id has done has even come close to revolutionary.

honestly i'm tired of hearing about Id.

proxy711

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2009
[citation][nom]house70[/nom]I am not buying anything from iD anymore. Screw Carmack and his console-first mindset.[/citation]
Yup exactly my thoughts. Got a refund from steam and wont buy another id game ever again.

It's not even the fact that rage had a shitty release, I had dead island on preorder(now that was a bad release). its the fact that carmack who made millions selling PC games said what should never be said by a PC game developer. "console games have the bigger market so were putting them first" that was the kiss of death.

the associate

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2008
Although I do not condone piracy, I "demo'd" the game, as I do to avoid being ripped off by cheap shit half assed games since I have been before...uninstalled and trash can'd.

When I can treat a PC game like a PC game, specifically having control over graphics settings, then I will consider it a PC game...til then, I won't even touch it. And honestly, I'm still playing New Vegas, which in my opinion is far more entertaining. To each their own.

dark_knight33

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2006
[citation][nom]the associate[/nom]Although I do not condone piracy, I "demo'd" the game...[/citation]

Hypocrite.

Rage didn't make it on my buy list this quarter, not because I didn't want it, but because the money just wasn't there. I got a great deal with steam sales, and spent the same amount buying 3-4 games from last year that I'm still playing. I'll probably pick up RAGE on sale next year as well, no hurry at this point.

Yeah, I could have "demo'd" it, but at least I'm not adding to the problem that created this in the first place (PC game piracy), and even worse, acting like I'm above it all.

Piracy is hardly the death-knell PC game publishers would have you believe, but the fact of the matter is, perception is reality. However, I believe *they* (i.e. developers) believe it's a real problem, and that is the reason RAGE works well on consoles and NOT on PC.

Think about that the next time you feel all self-righteous when hitting up TPB for the latest game.

FYI, Steam issued refunds over this fiasco. It was a no risk purchase if you bought it from them, you have no excuse.

aaron88_7

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010
[citation][nom]dark_knight33[/nom]Think about that the next time you feel all self-righteous when hitting up TPB for the latest game.[/citation]
Speaking of overt self-righteousness...

G

you know a game must be crap if even bethesda thinks it's too buggy

Zuesacoatl

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2008
@aaron88_7 - seriously? He hit the nail on the head, just because you think you "demo'd" a game does not mean it is not piracy. Every single time someone "demos" a game, it gives the publishers another reason to move away from the pc market. I honestly can not blame them, if they do not release a demo, and hype the IP up enough, they will get sales, in all honesty, they lose that if people make their own demo. Though I disagree with the greed, it is a loss in revenue for them. Consoles are the market to be in, you release a game, very few if any have demos, and people just go and buy the new game without knowing and suffer. Unless you buy used, which will be changing soon enough as well with everyone now selling MP passes and such to get revenue from used games sales. But it is the "demo" that has given them the reason to move away from us PC gamers and give to consoles. Grow up, dark_knight is not being self-righteous, he is laying the truth out in plain and simple text, there is no difference from "demoing" to out right pirating.

Jax69

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2007
i still cant get that crap to start, after the intro i still have 1 frame per Minute, tried all the tricks, fixes and still NADA... ID Software, the Gods of PC gaming and FPS, disgrace!!!!

martel80

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2006
there is no difference from "demoing" to out right pirating
And if they like the game and eventually buy it?
The only problem I see is that producers just don't want to let the cat out of the bag in case the game (audio CD, book, ...) is in some way inferior to other products on the same price level (rip off).
An uninformed buyer with little consumer rights is the best kind of buyer they can have.

vaguedreams

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2007
If every single person, that could run this game with 8k textures at 120 fps, with 16x af, and 4x aa, bought this game and paid full price for it, then it would still be a commercial failure.

You have to come to terms that you are the 1%, and that these games are made in hopes of selling to the 99%. There is a reason that blizzard does not make a game that causes computers to fall to their knees and cry.

ID made a game that does not have repeat textures and runs at 60 fps. No small feat, especially considering the shear variety of PC hardware. So you loose a bit of control, there are workarounds, I would suggest you use them.

pocketdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
[citation][nom]Proxy711[/nom]Got a refund from steam and wont buy another id game ever again...[/citation]

Whoa, back up...

You got a refund on STEAM!? How many hostages did you take?

aaron88_7

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010
[citation][nom]Zuesacoatl[/nom]@aaron88_7 - seriously? He hit the nail on the head[/citation]
Well then you two can have a fun patting yourselves on the back, but I'm gonna 'demo' this game just to annoy you two

pocketdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
Honestly, this whole "PC games are dying because of Piracy" thing needs to stop. And since people won't stop pirating, we may as well bring the trend over to the consoles so they can shut the hell up.

I don't condone piracy, but I loath console elitists.

Personally, I can care less about Rage. I have my sights set on BF3 and Dead Island. BF3 has been pre-ordered (and pre-installed :D), but I ran out of funds for Dead Island... boo.

justxeno

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2011
At the end of the day you people moaning about a pirate ruining pc gaming is so far off the mark its laughable. PC GAME PUBLISHERS KILLED THE PC GAME market when they removed the ability to sell on games. All of the pc games I've bought in the last 2 years I tried first, if they were good I bought them if they were naff I didn't simple as that.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]house70[/nom]I am not buying anything from iD anymore. Screw Carmack and his console-first mindset.[/citation]

you know, if there was a console first mindset, rage wouldnt have required how many discs, and would never have had the quality of testures it has.

the consoles just got of easy because its 1 system for everyone, unlike pc where between the minimum requiements and maximum you can build today, there are probably over 1 billion configurations.

it comes as no surprise that rage, if it would screw up anywhere would be the pc

danwat1234

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
There's nothing wrong with demo'ing a game via Bittorrent before buying. If you like the game ,buy it! F.E.AR. 2 makes that list, 1 of the few games that I really like. Duke Nukem is hilarious so I'll buy that since I'm having so much fun playing it.

toxin440

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2011
I think it's funny to see people get all up in arms about "demo'ing" a game. I think its a legitimate way of sampling something you are serious about buying.

What it sounds like is some people are saying you should blindly buy rage and if you can't run it, or hate it "too bad" is the only thing you will hear. Throwing 40-60 dollars out the window on something that might be good? That's not software sales, thats gambling.

You will *always* have the guys that will pirate a game even if they play it for hundreds of hours, either they flat down have the money, or they are just cheap. That kinda stuff will go on till the end of time.

Me? With age comes wisdom and I don't have a problem forking over 40-60 dollars for a game if it's worth it. But don't tell me I have to buy what might be a pile of crap with no recourse. I mean if you buy a car get home and find someone took a dump in the glove box you'd probably be pretty pissed.

every big corporation and industry that cries "piracy oh noez!" just doesn't have their head in what will soon be 2012. Very few companies are just starting to realize if they don't treat their customer base like criminals they actually *gasp* buy more stuff! The days of real and legitimate "demos" are long gone it seems. Seems you can put out an unfinished piece of junk and call it a "beta" and people clap like seals. If I'm helping beta test your product, where is my check in the mail for doing YOU job for you?

There have been more than a few times I WISH i had pirated a game due to it being a buggy, non-fun, POS. I shall now end my rambling -- it's 530 AM and i've already been up for over an hour and stuck at work. (hooray weekend ass early AM shift)

Status
Not open for further replies.