Tweak XP Folder Protection

Tags:
  • Windows XP
June 28, 2005 11:26:45 PM

Malke Wrote:
> Braindead wrote:
> -
>
> Braindead Wrote:-
>
> Will try this tip Malke. Although i'm careful when trying stuff like
> this, i do have a nasty habit of nausing things up, but will let you
> know how i get on, or come for more help if needed. Thanks again.-
>
> I knew i'd be back.
> I now have the OS on cd and successfully booted with it. It looks
> quite an appealing OS to use, but after half an hour of trying to get
> used to it, i still can't find how to look for my files. Can you
> point
> me in the right direction Malke?
> Thanks again in advance.
>
> -
> My foggy memory was jogged by some Diet Pepsi. ;-) Are you the poster
> that was trying to get data from an password-protected folder? Are you
> talking about using Knoppix? After booting with Knoppix, you'll be at
> desktop that will look like Windows. You'll have a window with Knoppix
> information open. Close it. Now you should have icons for hard drives
> and partitions. In Linux, we don't have a "C:" drive; we have hda1,
> hda2, etc. If you only have one hard drive with one partition, you
> want
> to click on hda1. A single-click is used in Linux as the default
> instead of the Windows double-click.
>
> So, single-click on (let's say) hda1. You will see familiar icons
> representing your files just the way you would see them in Windows.
> Navigate to the folder where your data is. Your next step depends on
> whether you are going to transfer the files to a usb thumb drive or
> burn them to cd-r. If the former, you will have an icon for the thumb
> drive on the desktop which you can open, just like you did hda1. You
> can then left-click and drag your data to the thumb drive and choose
> "copy".
>
> If you want to burn the files to cd-r, click on the big button that is
> where the Windows Start button is and find the K3b program. IIRC it is
> under System Utilities, but I'm not in Knoppix right now. Look around
> for it - don't be afraid! Use K3b just the same way you would use Nero
> or Roxio.
>
> Malke
> --
> MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic"

Sorry for the confusion. Your right about who i am. Anyway, found the
folder and files i wanted no problem. Didn't realise how much info
there was in there (62gb!!). Started up K3b (it's under Multimedia
btw.) dragged and dropped what i could to fit on a CD, but kept getting
'Error 12' when trying to burn the files (no idea what that is). Haven't
got a thumb drive so that wasn't an option. Tried to drag and drop the
files to a different location, couldn't do that 'cause i didn't have
permission to write. Tried to alter permission status, but wouldn't let
me. So any help around these options would be appreciated.
Did have one other thought, what would happen if i just uninstalled
Tweak XP? Would that lift the folder protection? Would it somehow
corrupt the folder or files within? Didn't want to try it before
getting an OK from someone if they knew. Holla back.

--
Braindead

More about : tweak folder protection

June 29, 2005 11:36:42 AM

Braindead wrote:

> Sorry for the confusion. Your right about who i am. Anyway, found the
> folder and files i wanted no problem. Didn't realise how much info
> there was in there (62gb!!). Started up K3b (it's under Multimedia
> btw.) dragged and dropped what i could to fit on a CD, but kept
> getting 'Error 12' when trying to burn the files (no idea what that
> is). Haven't got a thumb drive so that wasn't an option. Tried to drag
> and drop the files to a different location, couldn't do that 'cause i
> didn't have permission to write. Tried to alter permission status, but
> wouldn't let me. So any help around these options would be
> appreciated. Did have one other thought, what would happen if i just
> uninstalled Tweak XP? Would that lift the folder protection? Would it
> somehow corrupt the folder or files within? Didn't want to try it
> before getting an OK from someone if they knew. Holla back.

I don't know why you got Error 12; I'd have to look at the box in
person. I've never had a problem with K3b before that wasn't caused by
a failing cd-rw drive. For the future, considering buying a USB thumb
drive; they are so handy and cost so little now.

I think your next step should be to call Tweak XP's tech support. I have
no idea if uninstalling Tweak XP will return your files to an
unprotected state.

If nothing else works, get that thumb drive and put the files on it with
Knoppix. Take it to a Windows box and see if you can read the files
now.

Good luck,

Malke
--