9800XT fan making crazy noise

It sounds as though the fan starts, stops, starts, stops. Then sometimes it
slows down, then starts back up. I have a feeling it's due to dust. Is
there any way to lubricate the fan attached to the heatsink?

In article <8UR_d.52195$xX3.40623@twister.socal.rr.com>, Nocturnal
says...
> It sounds as though the fan starts, stops, starts, stops. Then sometimes it
> slows down, then starts back up. I have a feeling it's due to dust. Is
> there any way to lubricate the fan attached to the heatsink?

No, they're sealed. However there are plenty of aftermarket
replacements available.

--
Conor

Windows & Outlook/OE in particular, shipped with settings making them
as open to entry as a starlet in a porno. Steve B

"Nocturnal" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> It sounds as though the fan starts, stops, starts, stops. Then sometimes
> it slows down, then starts back up. I have a feeling it's due to dust.
> Is there any way to lubricate the fan attached to the heatsink?
What's wrong with getting it repaired/replaced under warranty? If you must
insist on attempting to lubricate it, if you can get the fan off the
heatsink then you'd just need to carefully peel the sticker off the back to
get at the bearing. I know that cards of Radeon 8500 level and before allow
this but I don't know about the 9800XT. My thoughts are that since its still
under warranty, it should be fixed by ATI and you shouldn't have to muck
around with such things. I had my All In Wonder Radeon fan replaced
recently, they sent me a complete HSF and I used the new fan off that to
replace my old one - its working perfectly now so they can do it.

Paul

Nocturnal wrote:
> It sounds as though the fan starts, stops, starts, stops. Then
> sometimes it slows down, then starts back up. I have a feeling it's
> due to dust. Is there any way to lubricate the fan attached to the
> heatsink?

Pull it out of your PC and blow the dust out of it. I recently upgraded my
PC and took my 9800XT from the old PC to the new. I blew the dust out of it
in the process, and was amazed at the amount that came out! It took a good
8-10 efforts to get it all out! Give that a try...