Sign in with
Your question

Computer random shutdown help plz

Last response: in Windows 7
December 11, 2010 7:51:46 PM

Ok a few weeks ago my computer started to randomly shut down but ussually after a reboot it would be fine for about a day. Now it constantly shuts down about 2 min after a reboot, doesnt matter if I log in or just leave it on the home screen.

I have two 2gig sticks of RAM. I tried running a RAM check but my computer would shut down in the middle of it. However, if I remove either one of the sticks my computer works fine. I have run scans on both stick individually and they both came back fine. I can also use my computer and run games with either one on their own, but as soon as I try to run them together I get a shutdown, no blue screen or anything.

Does anyone have any advice on what it might be? I am thinking it might be the mobo, sadly even though mine has 4 slots it makes me fill the first two primary ones before I can use the secondary slots, then again it might be something in the bios but I dont remember making any changes in there before the crashes started.

Any advice on what I should try would be a huge help. Thanx in advance

basic specs:
i5 cpu
atx 5770 gpu
ASRock P55 Extreme mobo
600 watt ps
a b $ Windows 7
December 12, 2010 9:27:35 AM

You didn't mention the make and model of your RAM.

What voltages are you give the RAM through the motherboard?
(and why did you decide to post this type of hardware question in the Windows 7 section of the forum?)
December 12, 2010 6:38:56 PM

Sorry, the RAM is: G.SKILL 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM 1600 (PC3 12800) Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ

Im not sure what exact voltages they are because in the BIOS i just have them set to auto but when I run CPU-Z its saying 1.5V

also sorry for posting it in the wrong area, I was just looking around the forums for similar problems and for some reason the majority were posted under the operating system. I thought it was weird but I went along with it.
a b $ Windows 7
December 12, 2010 7:21:57 PM

You might want to drop a similar post into the RAM section of the forums. You have a better chance of attracting someone with the 'right' experience to help.

Thats a good set of RAM, with better than average customer satisfaction ratings.
I checked some of the customer comments posted at NewEgg looking for a similar problem with solutions. There wasn't anything that jumped out at me but you might want to take a closer look
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=20-231-...

In your position I think I'd give the a slight boost in voltage and see if that might help stabilize things.
Try 1.55v first and maybe 1.6v if the first bump didnt help.
!