Computer random shutdown help plz

badasawsomeness

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2010
Ok a few weeks ago my computer started to randomly shut down but ussually after a reboot it would be fine for about a day. Now it constantly shuts down about 2 min after a reboot, doesnt matter if I log in or just leave it on the home screen.

I have two 2gig sticks of RAM. I tried running a RAM check but my computer would shut down in the middle of it. However, if I remove either one of the sticks my computer works fine. I have run scans on both stick individually and they both came back fine. I can also use my computer and run games with either one on their own, but as soon as I try to run them together I get a shutdown, no blue screen or anything.

Does anyone have any advice on what it might be? I am thinking it might be the mobo, sadly even though mine has 4 slots it makes me fill the first two primary ones before I can use the secondary slots, then again it might be something in the bios but I dont remember making any changes in there before the crashes started.

Any advice on what I should try would be a huge help. Thanx in advance

basic specs:
i5 cpu
atx 5770 gpu
ASRock P55 Extreme mobo
600 watt ps

badasawsomeness

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2010
Sorry, the RAM is: G.SKILL 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM 1600 (PC3 12800) Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ

Im not sure what exact voltages they are because in the BIOS i just have them set to auto but when I run CPU-Z its saying 1.5V

also sorry for posting it in the wrong area, I was just looking around the forums for similar problems and for some reason the majority were posted under the operating system. I thought it was weird but I went along with it.

You might want to drop a similar post into the RAM section of the forums. You have a better chance of attracting someone with the 'right' experience to help.

Thats a good set of RAM, with better than average customer satisfaction ratings.
I checked some of the customer comments posted at NewEgg looking for a similar problem with solutions. There wasn't anything that jumped out at me but you might want to take a closer look
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=20-231-193&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&Pagesize=100&PurchaseMark=&SelectedRating=1&VideoOnlyMark=False&VendorMark=&IsFeedbackTab=true

In your position I think I'd give the a slight boost in voltage and see if that might help stabilize things.
Try 1.55v first and maybe 1.6v if the first bump didnt help.