Microsoft AntiSpyware1.0.614

I just loaded the newest version of the beta. I installed it as the
administrator. It does not start when I log on as Fred (a member of the
administrators group). I get a dialog box that says - Unexpected error;
quitting. Then a second dialog box: Error Loading Microsoft AntiSpyware-
warning:Microsoft
Windows AntiSpyware has encounter a critical error (error 101.) Please
restart Windows AntiSpyware and run the program again. If you contine to
experience this problem, please unistall the program and install the most
recent version of Windows AntiSpyware. You can use Add or Remove Programs in
Control Panel to unistall this version of Windows AntiSpyware.

I did that but come up with the same results.
--
Thank you,
Fred Jacobowitz

Sorry about the double post. I think this is a more appropriate area.
--
Fred Jacobowitz

Welcome to Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware (Beta) Newsgroups
http://communities.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.asp?ICP=spyware&sLCID=us

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Fred Jacobowitz" wrote:

| I just loaded the newest version of the beta. I installed it as the
| administrator. It does not start when I log on as Fred (a member of the
| administrators group). I get a dialog box that says - Unexpected error;
| quitting. Then a second dialog box: Error Loading Microsoft AntiSpyware-
| warning:Microsoft
| Windows AntiSpyware has encounter a critical error (error 101.) Please
| restart Windows AntiSpyware and run the program again. If you contine to
| experience this problem, please unistall the program and install the most
| recent version of Windows AntiSpyware. You can use Add or Remove Programs in
| Control Panel to unistall this version of Windows AntiSpyware.
|
| I did that but come up with the same results.
| --
| Thank you,
| Fred Jacobowitz
|
| Sorry about the double post. I think this is a more appropriate area.
| --
| Fred Jacobowitz

Carey,
I failed to mention that i am running service pack 2. And I was running the
prior beta for a very long time.
I am certain it has to do with the registry because I can get it to work if
initiate the process via a cmd file that looks like this.

runas /savecred /user:administrator "D:\Program Files\Microsoft
AntiSpyware\GIANTAntiSpywareMain.exe"

I will have to search the registry for the correct entries under currentuser
and see what is wrong with the privileges. Do you know what they might be?
--
Fred Jacobowitz

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> Welcome to Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware (Beta) Newsgroups
> http://communities.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.asp?ICP=spyware&sLCID=us
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups

> "Fred Jacobowitz" wrote:
>
> | I just loaded the newest version of the beta. I installed it as the
> | administrator. It does not start when I log on as Fred (a member of the
> | administrators group). I get a dialog box that says - Unexpected error;
> | quitting. Then a second dialog box: Error Loading Microsoft AntiSpyware-
> | warning:Microsoft
> | Windows AntiSpyware has encounter a critical error (error 101.) Please
> | restart Windows AntiSpyware and run the program again. If you contine to
> | experience this problem, please unistall the program and install the most
> | recent version of Windows AntiSpyware. You can use Add or Remove Programs in
> | Control Panel to unistall this version of Windows AntiSpyware.
> |
> | I did that but come up with the same results.
> | --
> | Thank you,
> | Fred Jacobowitz
> |
> | Sorry about the double post. I think this is a more appropriate area.
> | --
> | Fred Jacobowitz

After the install you have to run through the mini-setup wizard as the
administrator user (or the user that did the install). If not a piece
of the application doesn't fully install and crashes when you try to run
the app. I had the same problem.

Posted At: Wednesday, June 29, 2005 6:57 PM
Posted To: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin
Conversation: Microsoft AntiSpyware1.0.614
Subject: Microsoft AntiSpyware1.0.614

[...]

Raymond,
I think I did that but... i am certainly willing to try again! Thank you
for the tip and I will let you know how it works out.
--
Fred Jacobowitz