Genuine Advantage question.

I'm having some trouble with the Genuine Advantage feature that MS has
imposed.

I have already entered in my product key and my version of Windows has been
validated, but when I try to get to the page where I can download "Winter Fun
Pack 2004," MS takes me back to the Genuine Advantage page asking me to
validate Windows again.

Please help.

-Danny M.

"Danny M." <Danny M.@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm having some trouble with the Genuine Advantage feature that MS has
> imposed.
>
> I have already entered in my product key and my version of Windows has
> been
> validated, but when I try to get to the page where I can download "Winter
> Fun
> Pack 2004," MS takes me back to the Genuine Advantage page asking me to
> validate Windows again.
>
> Please help.

Please follow the advice at
http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/FAQ.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=1214dbd2-7988-4a06-b510-e4cadbe9bead
Q.
Do all Windows users need to validate in order to obtain genuine
Windows downloads, or is validation limited to particular versions of
Windows?

A.
Validation is currently recommended, but not required. Should it become
required in the future, only users of Windows XP and Windows 2000 customers
(client, not server) will be required to validate. Genuine Windows downloads
will continue to be available, without validation, to customers running
Windows 98, Windows ME, Windows Server 2003, and Windows NT 4.0 with Service
Pack 3. However, Genuine Windows downloads are not available for older
versions of Windows (Windows 95, NT 4.0 with Service Pack 2 and earlier),
and non-Microsoft operating systems.

Q.
What should I do if I have a problem with the validation process?

A.
If you cannot resolve your problem using this FAQ, then please use the
Contact Us link at the bottom of Microsoft Download Center pages to request
additional assistance.

Also I believe that WGA is still a recommendation and not yet mandatory so
you will be able to download the file eventually if you choose to not
validate.

--

Regards,

Mike
--
Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

rights

newsgroups

"Danny M." <Danny M.@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm having some trouble with the Genuine Advantage feature that MS has
> imposed.
>
> I have already entered in my product key and my version of Windows has
> been
> validated, but when I try to get to the page where I can download "Winter
> Fun
> Pack 2004," MS takes me back to the Genuine Advantage page asking me to
> validate Windows again.
>
> Please help.
>
> -Danny M.

I think you're right, Mike. At least on the majority of downloads. I usually see two options, one to "validate" and one that says "No thanks, just take me to the download."

Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
--------------------------------
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

"Doug Knox MS-MVP" <dknox@mvps.org> wrote in message
I think you're right, Mike. At least on the majority of downloads. I
usually see two options, one to "validate" and one that says "No thanks,
just take me to the download."

Yep - that should be the case for now (while we iron out any issues).
I hope the OP does report his issue as only by them doing this can we find
the last few issues with the system.

--

Regards,

Mike
--
Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

rights

newsgroups

"Doug Knox MS-MVP" <dknox@mvps.org> wrote in message
I think you're right, Mike. At least on the majority of downloads. I
usually see two options, one to "validate" and one that says "No thanks,
just take me to the download."

--
Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart
Display\Security
> [...]

> you will be able to download the file eventually if you choose to not
> validate.
>
> --
>
> Regards,
>
> Mike
> --
> Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

> rights

> newsgroups
>
> "Danny M." <Danny M.@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> I'm having some trouble with the Genuine Advantage feature that MS has
>> imposed.
>>
>> I have already entered in my product key and my version of Windows has
>> been
>> validated, but when I try to get to the page where I can download "Winter
>> Fun
>> Pack 2004," MS takes me back to the Genuine Advantage page asking me to

You don't understand. I have already validated windows. What happens is that
I can't get to the Winter Fun Pack 2004 download page. when I do try, I get
sent to validate windows by clicking on an offer. I click on an offer and I
get sent to the download page for that offer. Winter Fun Pack 2004 isn't on
that page either.

How can I download it?

> You don't understand. I have already validated windows. What happens is
> that
> I can't get to the Winter Fun Pack 2004 download page. when I do try, I
> get
> sent to validate windows by clicking on an offer. I click on an offer and
> get sent to the download page for that offer. Winter Fun Pack 2004 isn't
> on
> that page either.
>
> How can I download it?

What link are you trying to use ?
--

Regards,

Mike
--
Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

rights

newsgroups

> [...]
>> validate.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Mike
>> --
>> Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

>> rights
>>
>> Please note I cannot respond to e-mailed questions, please use these
>> newsgroups
>>
>> "Danny M." <Danny M.@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > I'm having some trouble with the Genuine Advantage feature that MS has
>> > imposed.
>> >
>> > I have already entered in my product key and my version of Windows has
>> > been
>> > validated, but when I try to get to the page where I can download
>> > "Winter
>> > Fun
>> > Pack 2004," MS takes me back to the Genuine Advantage page asking me to

Listen, just click "validate" again and microsoft will know that your
windows has already been validated and change the link of the button to
"download". It isnt that hard to try something before you make an ordeal out
of it. This fact would have simply been discovered had you just tried it.
What does it take 2 minutes to vaildate windows? My goodness no wonder this
country is facing an apathy epidemic.

'The majority of them shouldn't be sitting in the same room as a computer
let alone
operating one."

> [...]
> > validate.
> >
> > --
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Mike
> > --
> > Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

> > rights
> >
> > Please note I cannot respond to e-mailed questions, please use these
> > newsgroups
> >
> > "Danny M." <Danny M.@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > I'm having some trouble with the Genuine Advantage feature that MS has
> > > imposed.
> > >
> > > I have already entered in my product key and my version of Windows has
> > > been
> > > validated, but when I try to get to the page where I can download
"Winter
> > > Fun
> > > Pack 2004," MS takes me back to the Genuine Advantage page asking me

FRIENDLY-- It seems as though you completely misunderstood my question. And
please do not assume that I didn't try anything to get to my download; I must
have validated windows a millions times. (I was, at no point, asked to
re-enter my Product Key.).

MIKE--This is the page from where I'm trying to access the download.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/default.mspx

On this page I click on "Winter Fun Pack 2004" and it takes me to an offer
page so that I can validate windows again, I validate windows by choosing an
offer but it will only take me to that offer. I was, at no point, asked to
re-enter my Product Key

The problem is that I can't get to the download that I want!

P.S. The people at the Apple Support Discussions are much friendlier than
the people here. (No, I do not own a Mac; and yes I want one very much, in
fact I will be buying one at the end of this month!) :)

> FRIENDLY-- It seems as though you completely misunderstood my question.
> And
> please do not assume that I didn't try anything to get to my download; I
> must
> have validated windows a millions times. (I was, at no point, asked to
> re-enter my Product Key.).
>
> MIKE--This is the page from where I'm trying to access the download.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/default.mspx
>
> On this page I click on "Winter Fun Pack 2004" and it takes me to an offer
> page so that I can validate windows again, I validate windows by choosing
> an
> offer but it will only take me to that offer. I was, at no point, asked to
> re-enter my Product Key
>
> The problem is that I can't get to the download that I want!
>
> P.S. The people at the Apple Support Discussions are much friendlier than
> the people here. (No, I do not own a Mac; and yes I want one very much, in
> fact I will be buying one at the end of this month!) :)

If you click that link now
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/default.mspx
You see the link under Windows XP Fun Packs
It takes you to
http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/offers/default.aspx?displaylang=en
There is no link to download the Winter 2004 fun pack.
I think this is case of "too late".

The people in this peer to peer support forum are your peers so I cannot
comment on their relative "friendliness"

--

Regards,

Mike
--
Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

rights

newsgroups

"Danny M." <DannyM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> FRIENDLY-- It seems as though you completely misunderstood my question.
> And
> please do not assume that I didn't try anything to get to my download; I
> must
> have validated windows a millions times. (I was, at no point, asked to
> re-enter my Product Key.).
>
> MIKE--This is the page from where I'm trying to access the download.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/default.mspx
>
> On this page I click on "Winter Fun Pack 2004" and it takes me to an offer
> page so that I can validate windows again, I validate windows by choosing
> an
> offer but it will only take me to that offer. I was, at no point, asked to
> re-enter my Product Key
>
> The problem is that I can't get to the download that I want!
>
> P.S. The people at the Apple Support Discussions are much friendlier than
> the people here. (No, I do not own a Mac; and yes I want one very much, in
> fact I will be buying one at the end of this month!) :)
>
> "Friendly" wrote:
>
>> Listen, just click "validate" again and microsoft will know that your
>> windows has already been validated and change the link of the button to
>> "download". It isnt that hard to try something before you make an ordeal
>> out
>> of it. This fact would have simply been discovered had you just tried it.
>> What does it take 2 minutes to vaildate windows? My goodness no wonder
>> this
>> country is facing an apathy epidemic.

>> 'The majority of them shouldn't be sitting in the same room as a computer
>> let alone
>> operating one."
>>

>> "Danny M." <DannyM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > You don't understand. I have already validated windows. What happens is
>> that
>> > I can't get to the Winter Fun Pack 2004 download page. when I do try, I
>> get
>> > sent to validate windows by clicking on an offer. I click on an offer
>> > and
>> > get sent to the download page for that offer. Winter Fun Pack 2004
>> > isn't
>> on
>> > that page either.
>> >
>> > How can I download it?

>> "Winter

>> http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/FAQ.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=1214dbd2-7988-4a06-b510-e4cadbe9bead

>> become
>> customers
>> downloads
>> Service
>> earlier),

>> the
>> request

>> so

>> "Winter

Well thanks for your help Mike. Kinda dissapointed though--I wanted that
download! LOL.

"Mike Brannigan [MSFT]" wrote:

> [...]
> >
> > The problem is that I can't get to the download that I want!
> >
> > P.S. The people at the Apple Support Discussions are much friendlier than
> > the people here. (No, I do not own a Mac; and yes I want one very much, in
> > fact I will be buying one at the end of this month!) :)
> >
> > "Friendly" wrote:
> >
> >> Listen, just click "validate" again and microsoft will know that your
> >> windows has already been validated and change the link of the button to
> >> "download". It isnt that hard to try something before you make an ordeal
> >> out
> >> of it. This fact would have simply been discovered had you just tried it.
> >> What does it take 2 minutes to vaildate windows? My goodness no wonder
> >> this
> >> country is facing an apathy epidemic.

> >> 'The majority of them shouldn't be sitting in the same room as a computer

While these folks are probably in violation of Microsoft's distribution rights, you can Google for:

"Winter Fun Pack 2004" (including the quotes)

and find various download sources for it. Actually, this one:

http://addict3d.org/index.php?page=autodownload&ID=3498

is downloading it from MS's site :) So the file is still there, just not the page to get it from.