Using the "Run as..." Command

penguin

Distinguished
May 16, 2004

I recently started to use a limited account for everyday things and leaving
my administrator account for when I need it. It is set up so it logs into the
limited account automatically.

I want it use the Run As command (when one right clicks on a file) to give
admin privilages when neccessary, but I cannot get it to work. I select
Administrator as user and type in my password and i recieve a error "Windows
cannot access the specified device, path, or file. you may not have
apporopriate permissions to access the item."

This also happens when type the wrong password, or no password at all.

I have 3 accounts Administrator, a administrator level account and a
restricted account. Currently using XP Pro.

Any help would be appreciated as I cannot find a reference to this problem
anywhere.

Hi,
do you have Secondary Logon service enabled ?
How to enable and use the "Run As" command when running programs in Windows
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=294676

For direct e-mailing remove "-spam" from my e-mail address
--
Best Regards,
Matija Hrovat

"Penguin" <Penguin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I recently started to use a limited account for everyday things and leaving
> my administrator account for when I need it. It is set up so it logs into
> the
> limited account automatically.
>
> I want it use the Run As command (when one right clicks on a file) to give
> admin privilages when neccessary, but I cannot get it to work. I select
> Administrator as user and type in my password and i recieve a error
> "Windows
> cannot access the specified device, path, or file. you may not have
> apporopriate permissions to access the item."
>
> This also happens when type the wrong password, or no password at all.
>
> I have 3 accounts Administrator, a administrator level account and a
> restricted account. Currently using XP Pro.
>
> Any help would be appreciated as I cannot find a reference to this problem
> anywhere.

penguin

Distinguished
May 16, 2004

Yes. I can log on as each of the three users. I can switch users and log on
as different users at the same time. What i cannot do is run an app as a
different user.
Does that help?

penguin

Distinguished
May 16, 2004

Never checked the Secondary logon service. Its Disabled. I enabled it and it
works now. Thanks for the help Matija Hrovat.

"Penguin" wrote:

> Yes. I can log on as each of the three users. I can switch users and log on
> as different users at the same time. What i cannot do is run an app as a
> different user.
> Does that help?

You're welcome.

> Never checked the Secondary logon service. Its Disabled. I enabled it and
> it
> works now. Thanks for the help Matija Hrovat.
>

> "Penguin" wrote:
>
>> Yes. I can log on as each of the three users. I can switch users and log
>> on
>> as different users at the same time. What i cannot do is run an app as a
>> different user.
>> Does that help?

TRENDING THREADS