AIW-8500-DV driver question

I inherited a computer with an AIW-8500DV video card and using XP Pro
SP2. I would like to upgrade the video drivers with the latest ones
and need some advice. I am into video picture as opposed to speed in
fps and would like to avoid the .NET program. I checked the ATI site,
but the correct version I need is not all that apparent. I also just
found out about Omega drivers.
1) Which ATI drivers are the latest and will work with the 8500?
2) Which Omega drivers are the latest and will work with the 8500?

I plan to try both and choose which one I want to keep.

p...@mailandnews.com wrote:
> I inherited a computer with an AIW-8500DV video card and using XP Pro
> SP2. I would like to upgrade the video drivers with the latest ones
> and need some advice. I am into video picture as opposed to speed in
> fps and would like to avoid the .NET program. I checked the ATI
site,
> but the correct version I need is not all that apparent. I also just
> found out about Omega drivers.
> 1) Which ATI drivers are the latest and will work with the 8500?
> 2) Which Omega drivers are the latest and will work with the 8500?
>
> I plan to try both and choose which one I want to keep.

One more question: Should I also upgrade the Bios on the 8500? I saw
a few newer versions on Omegadrivers.

pandj@mailandnews.com wrote:

> p...@mailandnews.com wrote:
> > I inherited a computer with an AIW-8500DV video card and using XP Pro
> > SP2. I would like to upgrade the video drivers with the latest ones
> > and need some advice. I am into video picture as opposed to speed in
> > fps and would like to avoid the .NET program. I checked the ATI
> site,
> > but the correct version I need is not all that apparent. I also just
> > found out about Omega drivers.
> > 1) Which ATI drivers are the latest and will work with the 8500?
> > 2) Which Omega drivers are the latest and will work with the 8500?
> >
> > I plan to try both and choose which one I want to keep.
>
> One more question: Should I also upgrade the Bios on the 8500? I saw
> a few newer versions on Omegadrivers.

in a word NO, the bios's as I recall on omegas site are original bios's
not upgrades.
Be warned, unless you know exactly what you are doing and what exactly
you have and what it is your getting, you will most likely be doing
damage.
the latest ATI drivers arent necessarily the best drivers and most stable
drivers, I guess this depends on what you do with your pc. I myself
continue to use version 6.14.10.6462 from march 2004 and MMC 8.7

Omega drivers are good for gaming, as they are optimized for such use. I
have used them and am currently using the latest on my other AIW 9800 pro
rig.