ATI acknowledges the channel change times problem with MMC..

I don't know about the channel change problem but my ATI TV Wonder PCI
will no longer do channel surfing. I was not impressed about Catalyst
5.3 either with various odd problems seeming to creep in. I had not
done a clean install for over a year so I formatted drive c:. After 3
days my system works much better. (Still no channel surfing)

Ak

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 12:38:39 -0600, ANTant@zimage.com wrote:

>http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?p=1333593639 (post #20).

Todd

You want REAL misery, then try making the TV Wonder Pro work with the Creative Audigy 2
ZS. None of the MMCs want to cooperate in this configuration.

Imagine, the most common soundcard on the market and ATi can't be bothered to make their
TV Wonder Pro card work with it!

I'd like to have a few personal words with the wizards responsible for this. It's only
been 2 years and counting since they've been aware of it ... :(
--
Todd

Todd wrote:

> You want REAL misery, then try making the TV Wonder Pro work with the Creative Audigy 2
> ZS. None of the MMCs want to cooperate in this configuration.
>
> Imagine, the most common soundcard on the market and ATi can't be bothered to make their
> TV Wonder Pro card work with it!
>
> I'd like to have a few personal words with the wizards responsible for this. It's only
> been 2 years and counting since they've been aware of it ... :(
> --
> Todd

I dont have a Audigy card but even my old ATI card has instructions for using
the problem.

https://support.ati.com/ics/support/KBAnswer.asp?questionID=650&fieldOffset=34&hitOffset=158+95+42+31+27+26+25+24+23+22+6+4+
The information in this article applies to the following configurations: TV
WONDER TV WONDER VE TV WONDER PRO ALL-IN-WONDER 9200 and earlier ATI
Multimedia...

https://support.ati.com/ics/support/KBAnswer.asp?questionID=900&fieldOffset=45&hitOffset=55+42+37+36+35+34+33+32+31+30+29+6+4+

--

--end

Todd

Great answers, I'm sure, but the sessions have long since timed out and the links don't
lead anywhere.

Can you maybe copy and paste the answer on to the forum for me? Thanks!
--
Todd

"Todd" <nospam@spamless.ca> wrote in message
> Great answers, I'm sure, but the sessions have long since timed out and
> the links don't lead anywhere.
>
> Can you maybe copy and paste the answer on to the forum for me? Thanks!
> --
> Todd
The clue is in those links - even though they don't work anymore. Do an
go to ATIs customer care website then click knowledge base then Advanced
search in the left side menu and fill in the two ID numbers (one at a time)
in the appropriate box and select the radio button beside the box then press
enter & hey presto.

Paul

Todd

I still am unable to conjure up the correct Q's and A's from their database. The only
thing I could find relating to audio problems dealt with using a MMC that has been phased
out :(
--

>I still am unable to conjure up the correct Q's and A's from their
>database. The only thing I could find relating to audio problems dealt with
>using a MMC that has been phased out :(
> --
> Todd
Well assuming you followed my directions and "conjured up" 2 knowledge base
articles called. "Audio echo during capture with Sound Blaster Audigy series
sound card using external audio connections" and "ATI Multimedia Center -
Unable to control audio with SoundBlaster Audigy Series products using
external audio connections" then you've at least mastered the ATI
knowledgebase search. They were the two articles referred to by Danny. Did
you access these or are you saying they weren't relevant? If you couldn't
find them, at what stage following my directions did you get lost?

Paul

Todd wrote:

> Great answers, I'm sure, but the sessions have long since timed out and the links don't
> lead anywhere.
>
> Can you maybe copy and paste the answer on to the forum for me? Thanks!
> --
> Todd

When you are in the knowledge base 'search' is in the left pane. Do a search
for Audigy.
That is what I did anyway... Hope that helps.

AHHH Now I remember were I read something even better (maybe) about Audigy.
Text below is from the release notes that YOU READ with MMC downloads. :)

http://www2.ati.com/drivers/mmc89_Release_Notes.html

Using the ATI ALL-IN-WONDER™ with Creative's Audigy family of Cards

The Creative Lab's Audigy family of sound cards has architectural differences
from earlier SoundBlaster products in order to provide enhanced audio quality.
These changes have an impact on how the ATI MULTIMEDIA CENTER™ works when an ATI
ALL-IN-WONDER™ is used with an Audigy card. To partially address these issues,
Creative has made available a special version of their drivers, which allows the
ATI MULTIMEDIA CENTER™ to function correctly. These drivers are version 250 (or
later) of the Audigy drivers. Please make sure you are using the correct
drivers.

shawk

Paul Murphy wrote:
> "Todd" <nospam@spamless.ca> wrote in message
>
>>I still am unable to conjure up the correct Q's and A's from their
>>database. The only thing I could find relating to audio problems dealt with
>>using a MMC that has been phased out :(
>>--
>>Todd
>
> Well assuming you followed my directions and "conjured up" 2 knowledge base
> articles called. "Audio echo during capture with Sound Blaster Audigy series
> sound card using external audio connections" and "ATI Multimedia Center -
> Unable to control audio with SoundBlaster Audigy Series products using
> external audio connections" then you've at least mastered the ATI
> knowledgebase search. They were the two articles referred to by Danny. Did
> you access these or are you saying they weren't relevant? If you couldn't
> find them, at what stage following my directions did you get lost?
>
> Paul

Why dont you just post the damn urls?

--
I mean, you've been around a bit, you know, like, you've, uh... You've
'done it'...

Todd

OK, I've read all the material I can find on the subject, and scoured the forums at
Rage3D.com as well.

Much of what is being offered is relevant only to the All In Wonder series of cards, NOT
the TV Wonders. The rest is a very messy kludge of workarounds and jury-rigs that simply
don't work properly or are far too clumsy to use in anything resembling a useable
environment.

In fact, I haven't found any verifiable testimony on this from anyone who actually owns an
Audigy card :(

For instance, I'm all for running the audio signal from the TV Wonder through the
microphone jack in the Audigy just to get the dumb thing working. But then one constantly
be checking that the +20 dB option is deselected, and it seems to reenable itself
everytime you reboot the machine. Plus there is the difficulty of discovering which level
is high enough to provide for audible playback of audio when working with this. It is just
a colossal mess, period. When I had my old SoundBlaster Live! card you just plugged the
audio in to the Line In jack on the card and presto--everything worked right.

But not with the Audigy cards! No, you must crawl through tunnels and jump through flaming
hoops just to record a damned TV program and then hope beyond hope that it will actually
have sound upon playback!

If anyone REALLY knows the true way to use the TV Wonder and Audigy, please step forward!

And why the hell can't ATi sort this out once and for all? It's only been at least 2 years
now that its cards refuse to work with the most popular soundcards on the planet!

Am I asking too much????
--
Todd

Danny Greaves <dandog@pacbell.net> wrote:

> Todd wrote:
> >
> > You want REAL misery, then try making the TV Wonder Pro work with the Creative Audigy 2
> > ZS. None of the MMCs want to cooperate in this configuration.
> >
> > Imagine, the most common soundcard on the market and ATi can't be bothered to make their
> > TV Wonder Pro card work with it!
> >
> > I'd like to have a few personal words with the wizards responsible for this. It's only
> > been 2 years and counting since they've been aware of it ... :(
> > --
> > Todd

> I dont have a Audigy card but even my old ATI card has instructions for using
> the problem.

> https://support.ati.com/ics/support/KBAnswer.asp?questionID=650&fieldOffset=34&hitOffset=158+95+42+31+27+26+25+24+23+22+6+4+
> The information in this article applies to the following configurations: TV
> WONDER TV WONDER VE TV WONDER PRO ALL-IN-WONDER 9200 and earlier ATI
> Multimedia...

> https://support.ati.com/ics/support/KBAnswer.asp?questionID=900&fieldOffset=45&hitOffset=55+42+37+36+35+34+33+32+31+30+29+6+4+

Please use tinyurl.com!
--
"When an ant gets wings, it loses its head." --Bosnian Proverb
/\___/\
| |o o| | Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net
( )

Todd

Well, I wish the instructions worked all across the ATi line--AIW and TV Wonders--but they
don't. ATi could solve this, I'm sure, by just setting a programmer on it for a day or two
to come up with a correct internal or digital signal path but they don't.

The problem is that Creative routes the audio signals differently in the Audigy's internal
circuitry, as compared to the old SoundBlaster Live! ATi notes this in some of their
postings but still refuse to assign a fix from a programmer.

If you personally know of someone who has this combo working, please steer them my way!
--
Todd

> Paul Murphy wrote:
>> "Todd" <nospam@spamless.ca> wrote in message
>>
>>>I still am unable to conjure up the correct Q's and A's from their
>>>database. The only thing I could find relating to audio problems dealt
>>>with using a MMC that has been phased out :(
>>>--
>>>Todd
>>
>> Well assuming you followed my directions and "conjured up" 2 knowledge
>> base articles called. "Audio echo during capture with Sound Blaster
>> Audigy series sound card using external audio connections" and "ATI
>> Multimedia Center - Unable to control audio with SoundBlaster Audigy
>> Series products using external audio connections" then you've at least
>> mastered the ATI knowledgebase search. They were the two articles
>> referred to by Danny. Did you access these or are you saying they weren't
>> relevant? If you couldn't find them, at what stage following my
>> directions did you get lost?
>>
>> Paul
>
> Why dont you just post the damn urls?

A good question! ATI have recently changed their support website and links
on the new version time out after 10 minutes - have you tried downloading
drivers from there lately? This is why I provided a detailed description of
how to find the knowledge base articles instead. Were you OK following those
directions?

Paul

> Well, I wish the instructions worked all across the ATi line--AIW and TV
> Wonders--but they don't. ATi could solve this, I'm sure, by just setting a
> programmer on it for a day or two to come up with a correct internal or
> digital signal path but they don't.
>
> The problem is that Creative routes the audio signals differently in the
> Audigy's internal circuitry, as compared to the old SoundBlaster Live! ATi
> notes this in some of their postings but still refuse to assign a fix from
> a programmer.
>
> If you personally know of someone who has this combo working, please steer
> them my way!
> --
> Todd
Alas I only have several All In Wonders working with MMC - they don't even
sell the TV Wonder Pro in the UK. Have you actually *tried* using the AUX
port on your Audigy (assuming there is one)? - I'm sure that (along with the
latest Audigy drivers) such a change should correct sound quality issues
associated with an audio input signal which is to strong (at the least try
using Line-in). The signal strength coming from a microphone is way below
that supplied by a TV Tuner card so in your current configuration its likely
the TV Tuners audio signal strength is causing problems. The cable needed to
internally connect the Aux port on a sound card to the TV Wonder cards looks
like the old style CDROM drive audio cables that were necessary with Windows
machines prior to 2000. As well as an Aux connection internally, a CDROM in
connection would also be suitable - just not the mic input.

Paul

shawk

Paul Murphy wrote:

>>Why dont you just post the damn urls?
>

> A good question! ATI have recently changed their support website and links
> on the new version time out after 10 minutes - have you tried downloading
> drivers from there lately? This is why I provided a detailed description of
> how to find the knowledge base articles instead. Were you OK following those
> directions?
>
> Paul

Dont personally need the directions. Thought you came across as being
deliberately awkward. If not then sorry - haven't come across the links
that timeout.

--

> Paul Murphy wrote:
>
>>>Why dont you just post the damn urls?
>>

>> A good question! ATI have recently changed their support website and
>> links on the new version time out after 10 minutes - have you tried
>> downloading drivers from there lately? This is why I provided a detailed
>> description of how to find the knowledge base articles instead. Were you
>> OK following those directions?
>>
>> Paul
>
> Dont personally need the directions. Thought you came across as being
> deliberately awkward. If not then sorry - haven't come across the links
> that timeout.
>
> --
> I mean, you've been around a bit, you know, like, you've, uh... You've
> 'done it'...
> What do you mean?
> Well, I mean like,... you've SLEPT, with a lady...
> Yes...
> What's it like?

No worries, glad I've cleared it up.

Paul

<ANTant@zimage.com> wrote in message
> Danny Greaves <dandog@pacbell.net> wrote:
>
>> Todd wrote:
>> >
>> > You want REAL misery, then try making the TV Wonder Pro work with the
>> > Creative Audigy 2
>> > ZS. None of the MMCs want to cooperate in this configuration.
>> >
>> > Imagine, the most common soundcard on the market and ATi can't be
>> > bothered to make their
>> > TV Wonder Pro card work with it!
>> >
>> > I'd like to have a few personal words with the wizards responsible for
>> > this. It's only
>> > been 2 years and counting since they've been aware of it ... :(
>> > --
>> > Todd
>

>> I dont have a Audigy card but even my old ATI card has instructions for
>> using
>> the problem.
>

>> https://support.ati.com/ics/support/KBAnswer.asp?questionID=650&fieldOffset=34&hitOffset=158+95+42+31+27+26+25+24+23+22+6+4+
>> The information in this article applies to the following configurations:
>> TV
>> WONDER TV WONDER VE TV WONDER PRO ALL-IN-WONDER 9200 and earlier ATI
>> Multimedia...
>

>> https://support.ati.com/ics/support/KBAnswer.asp?questionID=900&fieldOffset=45&hitOffset=55+42+37+36+35+34+33+32+31+30+29+6+4+
>
> Please use tinyurl.com!
<ant snipped>
Even tinyurl.com wouldn't fix the problems with those links not working -
see my post earlier in the thread. ATI have changed aspects of their site to
time out after 10 minutes.

Paul

Todd

Paul,

Thanks for your patient and helpful responses :)

I will try the internal AUX input and get back to you. It may take me a day or two to get
this done but I will respond in this thread again.
--
Todd

Todd

PS Not once in all of my attempts to capture TV with this setup have I actually managed
to get the audio with it! Not once! Audio is only live or not at all.
--
Todd

Todd

I can't find any special drivers on Creative's site. So I just used the newest ones.

Have you found the special Creative drivers? Got a link to the page?
--
Todd

Todd

After searching the Creative site, this is all I could find:

The newest version of Multimedia Center from ATI along with the updated Audigy drivers
should allow the software to work to work. I want you to check a few things:

1) Make sure you have the line out on the ATI card plugged into the line-in on the Sound
Card
2) Make sure that the Line In on the sound card is not muted in the surround mixer and
that Analog Mix is selected as the recording source for the sound card.
3) Check with ATI to make sure Multimedia Center is set to use the line out and not an
internal connection.

Jeremy
Forum Moderator
Creative Labs

________________

So my last option is to try the internal audio connector and disable the external one :/
--

> After searching the Creative site, this is all I could find:
>

> The newest version of Multimedia Center from ATI along with the updated
> Audigy drivers should allow the software to work to work. I want you to
> check a few things:
>
> 1) Make sure you have the line out on the ATI card plugged into the
> line-in on the Sound Card
> 2) Make sure that the Line In on the sound card is not muted in the
> surround mixer and that Analog Mix is selected as the recording source for
> the sound card.
> 3) Check with ATI to make sure Multimedia Center is set to use the line
> out and not an internal connection.
>
> Jeremy
> Forum Moderator
> Creative Labs
>
> ________________
>
> So my last option is to try the internal audio connector and disable the
> external one :/
> --
> Todd

I've never owned an Audigy but I remember that my SB Live card had some
settings which were for deliberately changing the sound - e.g. adding
reverberation etc. Perhaps something has gone wrong in this department -
hence the echoing. Even if you've checked all of these settings to make sure
they're at default values perhaps the system has been corrupted and only a
complete reinstall on a formatted HDD is the solution. Although reinstalls
can be tedious, as long as you have all the software CDs (or even better a
restore CD) and you backup your data before you start, the process of
restoring a machine to a factory state is actually quite straight forward. I
think using an internal connector - preferably to the soundcards Aux
connector is preferable to an external cable. If you have a read (and
search) of the www.rage3d.com forums there will be plenty of people who have
reported no such problems with their Audigy's being used with TV Wonder
cards so that makes me suspect it's something else unique to your setup.

Paul

Todd

Hi Paul,

This IS a fresh install from about 2 weeks ago! No other MMCs or drivers have ever been on
this rig. I've seen problems from cross-pollinations between MMCs, etc., so I know what
you are talking about.

ATi has done a wonderful job straightening out their video card drivers over the last
couple of years. (I remember when they were literally the curse of the industry.) However,
ATi has serious problems with their MMCs and how they integrate with their entire line of
TV cards and AIWs. One MMC can be like night and day compared to the very next one in the
series. ATi MUST standardize their approach and rationale when it comes to adopting a
standard electronic interface between cards like the Audigy (the de facto standard in the
PC world) and their line of products.

Words fail me in this particular case. I'm trained as an audio engineer and NOTHING should
be this convoluted in signal flow :-/
--
Todd

OK fair enough if you've performed a fresh install its likely just to be
associated with that non-standard Audigy driver issue. Going by that link
(knowledgebase number 650) it really does look as if there's not much ATI
can do to fix this (or that you can do as long as the Audigy and TV Wonder
Pro both remains together in the same machine) - given that the problem is
associated with Creative drivers having grouped volume controls. Just
because Creative are the main player in the soundcard business doesn't mean
they should be able to go off on a limb with their driver design and expect
everyone else to change their software to suit. I guess if your work is in
audio then there may be a "standardisation" requirement for you to use a SB
Audigy card but otherwise a change of audio card would surely fix it.

I agree with you re ATI's Graphics Card driver improvements. The drivers
have been developed to control ATIs own hardware designs though. Its a bit
different to the situation with MMC where the software attempts to control
both their own graphics card AND audio mixer software from another
manufacturer. I think that your efforts may be better directed by writing to
Creative and asking THEM to make a more standard driver that works with MMC
without needing workarounds - especially given that you cant get the
workaround to work. There are audio issues with some audio devices and MMC
(the one that stands out in my mind is audio hiss on TV recordings with
certain CMedia 8xxx sound chips in specific circumstances) but these again
are due to non standard audio devices and drivers. ATI have recently
implemented changes in certain All In Wonder Radeon 9xxx series drivers
which allows audio to go through the PCI bus. The brand new TV Wonder Elite
also does this. The only way I can think they may be able to resolve your
issue is if they could do the same for your TV Wonder Pro drivers but I
don't know if that's possible on such hardware. Additionally it may deter
people from buying the more lavish TV Wonder Elite. I see the TV Wonder
Elite isn't listed as one of the affected products on that list so perhaps a
change of TV Tuner may be another solution. Lots of options but
unfortunately none of the certain cures are free. Good luck getting it
resolved!

Paul