Dell Axim and SD Card issues!

April 29, 2004 7:00:48 PM

I have a Dell Axim and I purchased a new memory card reader to copy
large files onto my 256 meg SD Card. However, after copying the file,
I noticed today that the Dell looses the card! I have remove/reinsert
the card or soft reset the machine to get it to see the SD card again.

I have used this mem reader with my CF card with no issues.

Should I reformat the card or did I harm the card in some way? I can
not see any physical damage, including the connectors.

Thanks

More about : dell axim card issues

April 30, 2004 1:27:18 AM

David wrote:
> I have a Dell Axim and I purchased a new memory card reader to copy
> large files onto my 256 meg SD Card. However, after copying the file,
> I noticed today that the Dell looses the card! I have remove/reinsert
> the card or soft reset the machine to get it to see the SD card again.
>

> I have used this mem reader with my CF card with no issues.
>
> Should I reformat the card or did I harm the card in some way? I can
> not see any physical damage, including the connectors.
>
> Thanks

Search for the thread called
Just before I tackle Dell...

Dell replaced my X3i but still don't admit there's a problem.
April 30, 2004 1:27:19 AM

Thanks. This is a X5 and there was no issue before using the card
reader. I think I damaged by card from insert/removal or static!

On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 21:27:18 +0000 (UTC), "Mike" <no@spam.ta> wrote:

>David wrote:
>> I have a Dell Axim and I purchased a new memory card reader to copy
>> large files onto my 256 meg SD Card. However, after copying the file,
>> I noticed today that the Dell looses the card! I have remove/reinsert
>> the card or soft reset the machine to get it to see the SD card again.
>>

>> I have used this mem reader with my CF card with no issues.
>>
>> Should I reformat the card or did I harm the card in some way? I can
>> not see any physical damage, including the connectors.
>>
>> Thanks
>

>Search for the thread called
>Just before I tackle Dell...
>
>Dell replaced my X3i but still don't admit there's a problem.

Anonymous
May 2, 2004 12:05:26 AM

On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 15:00:48 -0500, David wrote:

> I have a Dell Axim and I purchased a new memory card reader to copy
> large files onto my 256 meg SD Card. However, after copying the file,
> I noticed today that the Dell looses the card! I have remove/reinsert
> the card or soft reset the machine to get it to see the SD card again.
>

> I have used this mem reader with my CF card with no issues.
>
> Should I reformat the card or did I harm the card in some way? I can
> not see any physical damage, including the connectors.
>
> Thanks

Don't reformat the card with your card reader or you will have problems.
Use a program like FlashFormat to do this through the Axim.

If you have already ruined the card take it back and exchange it for a new
one. You probably corrupted the low level format.

Also, if it's a Sandisk card exchange it for another brand. 256MB Sandisk
SD cards don't work well in the X5.

http://freespace.virgin.net/jon.crawford/index.htm
!