Games CTD on Windows 7

rich18144

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2009
Hey Guys,

I've recently clean installed my computer up to the new and improved Windows 7 (which I am very much liking) but I am finding that I am continuously having issues with Games. So far I have only tried Dungeon Keeper 2 and Kane & Lynch, but both of them are crashing to desktop.

They seem to do this at random points during the game, but Kane and Lynch seems to last longer.

When playing Dk2, I can "force" the CTD by clicking on various items on the "toolbar" or HUD, including things like changing the view of what is shown on the toolbar, shoring what traps I can build, showing what rooms I can build, etc. The thing that seems to be causing the most crashes is clicking on the Objectives button. With K&L, the game seems to run fine for about 15-30 minutes before dumping me back on the Desktop.

I have tried the following solutions:

Uninstalling and Reinstalling Graphics Drivers
Uninstalling and Reinstalling Mouse Drivers
Deactivating the Sound
Updating all Drivers as much as possible
Running DK2 in a variety of Compatibility modes

There are probably more, but I can't remember of the top of my head.

A couple of questions:

1) Is there any way of making W7 display =why= it crashed to desktop as opposed to the "DXII.ICD has stopped working W7 is trying to find a solution" and "A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available" messages?

2) Any ideas of how to fix this? I'm not adverse to a clean install, but given that I =just= did one, I'm not super keen (nor does it seem a likely solution).

Thanks for your time guys!

Rich Allan

rich18144

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2009
Ah, in my haste and glee at having Windows 7 I appear to have forgotten that I had a 64 Bit processor. I will get back to you once I've done the fresh install for 64 Bit!! Watch this space!

Rich A

rich18144

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2009
Ok guys; Done the reinstall,

Interestingly,

Dungeon Keeper 2 v1.3 Working (x64 & XP2 Compatability)
Dungeon Keeper 2 v1.7 Crashing (x64 & XP2 Compatability)

Any ideas on how to get 1.7 Working?