Windows - Display Driver Stopped Responding

Greetings!

Is this error message related to an overheated ATI Radeon 9800 Pro AIW
(128 MB) video card during gaming (e.g., World of Warcraft) in Windows
XP Professional SP2 (all updates)? This is with ATI Catalyst driver
v5.2 (had to uninstall v5.3 and MMC v9.06) due to WDM driver issues
(delayed audio and channel switching in MMC). I already have an Arctic
Cooling VGA Silencer revision 2 on this video card too! You can see my
detailed system specifications at:
http://alpha.zimage.com/~ant/antfarm/about/computers.txt
(primary/gaming machine).

The 8-bit/256 colors display mode showed this error: "Windows - Display
Driver Stopped Responding: The ati2dvag display driver has stopped
working normally. Save your work and reboot the system to retore full
display functionality. The next time you reboot the machine a dialog
will be displayed giving you a chance to upload data about this failure
to Microsoft."

After a reboot, I checked Windows' event log:
Event Type: Error
Event Source: ati2mtag
Event Category: None
Event ID: 108
Date: 3/27/2005
Time: 7:17:29 PM
User: N/A
Computer: ComputerName
The driver ati2dvag for the display device \Device\Video0 got stuck in
an infinite loop. This usually indicates a problem with the device
itself or with the device driver programming the hardware incorrectly.
Please check with your hardware device vendor for any driver updates.

Data:
0000: 00 00 00 00 03 00 52 00 ......R.
0008: 00 00 00 00 6c 00 04 c0 ....l..À
0010: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0018: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........

In my 26.7 C/80 F degrees room. ASUS PC Probe v2.23.04 said:

CPU Temperature: 63 C/147 F degrees
MB Temperature: 43.9 C/111 F degrees

CPU Fan: 58xx
Chassis Fan: 2556

Thank you in advance. :)
--
"When an ant gets wings, it loses its head." --Bosnian Proverb
/\___/\
| |o o| | Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net
( )

ANTant@zimage.com wrote:

> Is this error message related to an overheated ATI Radeon 9800 Pro AIW
> (128 MB) video card during gaming (e.g., World of Warcraft) in Windows
> XP Professional SP2 (all updates)?

Nope. Most likely, you're yet another victim of the infinite loop problem
that occures on many VIA-based systems with an ATi card. Go over to
http://forums.viaarena.com and search for infinite loop -- you'll be
unpleasantly surprised by all the problems...

For most people, one or more of the following will solve the problem:
switching from AGP 8x to AGP 4x, raising AGP voltage, disabling fastwrites,
switching to Microsoft's default CPU to AGP controller driver instead of
using the VIA Hyperion one.

=- Brian Dickens, the Netherlands

Brian Dickens <newsgroups@(remove-this)briandickens.demon.nl> wrote:
> ANTant@zimage.com wrote:

> > Is this error message related to an overheated ATI Radeon 9800 Pro AIW
> > (128 MB) video card during gaming (e.g., World of Warcraft) in Windows
> > XP Professional SP2 (all updates)?

> Nope. Most likely, you're yet another victim of the infinite loop problem
> that occures on many VIA-based systems with an ATi card. Go over to
> http://forums.viaarena.com and search for infinite loop -- you'll be
> unpleasantly surprised by all the problems...

You know what's weird? That was my first time I ever had that error for
a year of usage with this motherboard.

> For most people, one or more of the following will solve the problem:
> switching from AGP 8x to AGP 4x, raising AGP voltage, disabling fastwrites,
> switching to Microsoft's default CPU to AGP controller driver instead of
> using the VIA Hyperion one.

I will try that AGP idea. It is at 8X IIRC. IIRC, I used VIA's driver
because Explorer kept crashing. VIA 4in1 driver fixed that.
--
"When an ant gets wings, it loses its head." --Bosnian Proverb
/\___/\
| |o o| | Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net
( )

abc

"Brian Dickens" <newsgroups@(remove-this)briandickens.demon.nl> wrote in
message news:114g2lu7kct3823@corp.supernews.com...
> ANTant@zimage.com wrote:
>
>> Is this error message related to an overheated ATI Radeon 9800 Pro AIW
>> (128 MB) video card during gaming (e.g., World of Warcraft) in Windows
>> XP Professional SP2 (all updates)?
>
> Nope. Most likely, you're yet another victim of the infinite loop problem
> that occures on many VIA-based systems with an ATi card. Go over to
> http://forums.viaarena.com and search for infinite loop -- you'll be
> unpleasantly surprised by all the problems...
>
> For most people, one or more of the following will solve the problem:
> switching from AGP 8x to AGP 4x, raising AGP voltage, disabling
> fastwrites, switching to Microsoft's default CPU to AGP controller driver
> instead of using the VIA Hyperion one.

Interesting.
I have had that message once or twice, but only since upgrading to Cat 5.3.
I needed to replace my mobo in a hurry, and ended up with a VIA based board.
I didn't run Cat 5.2 for very long on this board, so maybe it would happen
with them eventually.