ATTENTION all steam lovers... your MASTER photo!

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

to all steam lovers... your master photo!

http://home.comcast.net/~pudmonkey1/steamfornazis.jpg

--
post made in a steam-free computer
i said "NO" to valve and steam

against steam campaign
http://nosteam.afterdarknet.at/

steamwatch - independent observatory about steam
http://www.steamwatch.org/

Stoned Monkey wrote:

> I would but I now think he should be silenced for being abusive, its
> really not on, at first it was funny now he had just become
> completely offensive does anyone know how to report his abuse?

<follow ups sent to csipga>

Difool uses individual.net, a free Usenet subscriber service. You can send
complaints to news@individual.net. Because they are a free provider they
have no financial interest to keep him as a customer (as opposed to a
costumer) if they keep getting complaints. From Individual's FAQ:

5.2 What happens if I don't stick to the rules?
We would regret to see such behavior because it naturally endangers
the service.
If we notice policy violation or get complaints about it, we block the
account concerned - in most cases without further inquiry or information of
the user.

I am inclined to agree with you. Difool went from funny loon to abusive
jerk during the last few weeks.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

>Not sure if it will work though. Borderline irritant. Most ISPs have Terms
>of Service which say you cant spam and cant post anything which violates
>the newsgroups charter. Im not sure it has passed either mark

There is also such a thing as a killfile.

C//

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

"Stoned Monkey" wrote

> I would but I now think he should be silenced for being abusive, its
> really not on, at first it was funny now he had just become completely
> offensive does anyone know how to report his abuse?

Check the headers of the message
I doubt there's anything you can do
He _is_ entitled to have his own opinion

Maybe abuse due to massive crossposting could be an approach

- Peter

Courageous <dontwant@spam.com> wrote in

>>Not sure if it will work though. Borderline irritant. Most ISPs have
>>Terms of Service which say you cant spam and cant post anything which
>>violates the newsgroups charter. Im not sure it has passed either mark
>
> There is also such a thing as a killfile.

I know that many would prefer that killfiles be used rather than reports to
the ISP. And in cases where its not an alt.troll player that is a good
suggestion.

But since Im an ISP Admin and a Moderator, I feel it rather an obligation
to not use killfiles myself. And to let other admins or moderators know if
their users might be breaking their rules. That tends to be true of anyone
in any position I think. Again Im not sure this case fits the bill. Just a
general expanation

Gandalf Parker

"Gandalf Parker" <gandalf@most.of.my.favorite.sites> wrote in message
> Courageous <dontwant@spam.com> wrote in
>

>>>Not sure if it will work though. Borderline irritant. Most ISPs have
>>>Terms of Service which say you cant spam and cant post anything which
>>>violates the newsgroups charter. Im not sure it has passed either mark
>>
>> There is also such a thing as a killfile.
>
> I know that many would prefer that killfiles be used rather than reports
> the ISP. And in cases where its not an alt.troll player that is a good
> suggestion.
>
> But since Im an ISP Admin and a Moderator, I feel it rather an obligation
> to not use killfiles myself. And to let other admins or moderators know if
> their users might be breaking their rules. That tends to be true of anyone
> in any position I think. Again Im not sure this case fits the bill. Just a
> general expanation
>
> Gandalf Parker

Killfiles are like bandages over an infected wound. I think in difool's
case we need to use some antibiotics.

In article <vlxNd.3345$Ub4.165628@news20.bellglobal.com>
, "Grackle" <nowhere@lalaland.ca> wrote:

>"Gandalf Parker" <gandalf@most.of.my.favorite.sites> wrote in message
>> Courageous <dontwant@spam.com> wrote in

>>> There is also such a thing as a killfile.
>>
>> I know that many would prefer that killfiles be used rather than reports
>> the ISP. And in cases where its not an alt.troll player that is a good
>> suggestion.
>>
>> But since Im an ISP Admin and a Moderator, I feel it rather an obligation
>> to not use killfiles myself. And to let other admins or moderators know if
>> their users might be breaking their rules. That tends to be true of anyone
>> in any position I think. Again Im not sure this case fits the bill. Just a
>> general expanation
>>
>> Gandalf Parker
>
>Killfiles are like bandages over an infected wound. I think in difool's
>case we need to use some antibiotics.

You guys can try and convince yourself you're acting out of some sense
of propriety until you're blue in the face, but the fact is you don't_like_
what he's saying. Which of course could easily be resolved by not reading
nor responding to his posts.

It's always funny to me to see in threads like this how shallow is the belief in
freedom of speech. People who would vociferously espouse the principle
of free speech are often the first to try and limit it. And all because they somehow
erroneously believe they have a right to_not be offended_and that supposed
right supersedes another persons legitimate right to expression.

Jim

foamy wrote:
> You guys can try and convince yourself you're acting out of some sense
> of propriety until you're blue in the face, but the fact is you don't_like_
> what he's saying. Which of course could easily be resolved by not reading
> nor responding to his posts.
>
> It's always funny to me to see in threads like this how shallow is the belief in
> freedom of speech. People who would vociferously espouse the principle
> of free speech are often the first to try and limit it. And all because they somehow
> erroneously believe they have a right to_not be offended_and that supposed
> right supersedes another persons legitimate right to expression.
>
> Jim
Free speech is a responsibility as well as a freedom. DiFool has the
responsibility to be civil (civil=being polite, eg: not calling people
nazi's). He can say anything he likes (the freedom part) as long as he's
civil about it (the responsibility part). Since he's foregone the
responsibility, he loses the associated right. Simple.
--
-Acercanto (young pup)
user:forestman domain:vt.edu

On Mon, 07 Feb 2005 02:03:57 GMT, bombelly@wahs.ac (foamy) wrote:

>You guys can try and convince yourself you're acting out of some sense
>of propriety until you're blue in the face, but the fact is you don't_like_
>what he's saying. Which of course could easily be resolved by not reading
>nor responding to his posts.

That only works if you don't have to receive his postings to begin with.
Most ISPs that run newsservers do not have killfiles and have to download
those posts anyway, which in turn takes up disk space that could be used
for something more valuable (e.g. alt.binaries.*).

One individual off-topic posting isn't a problem. However, multiply that
by the number of repeated off-topic postings. Then multiply that by the
number of news servers attached to the internet. It won't take long before
the total disk space occupied by the spamming run to fill up a small hard
drive.

>It's always funny to me to see in threads like this how shallow is the belief in
>freedom of speech.

There is no limitation on freedom of speech on usenet. You can say
whatever you want, as long as it is within the proper forums and does not
abuse the Internet. This 'shallowness' does not exist.

The only exceptions are cases where you have to contact your defence lawyer
anyway. (e.g. Libel, Harassment, etc.)

>People who would vociferously espouse the principle
>of free speech are often the first to try and limit it. And all because they somehow
>erroneously believe they have a right to_not be offended_and that supposed
>right supersedes another persons legitimate right to expression.

This is not a freedom of speech issue either. If it were, the anti-Steam
postings would not be spammed over and over again on off-topic newsgroups,
thus adding to the clutter of an already congested Internet.

foamy wrote:
> In article <vlxNd.3345$Ub4.165628@news20.bellglobal.com>
> , "Grackle" <nowhere@lalaland.ca> wrote:
>

>>"Gandalf Parker" <gandalf@most.of.my.favorite.sites> wrote in message
>>
>>>Courageous <dontwant@spam.com> wrote in

>>>I know that many would prefer that killfiles be used rather than reports
>>>the ISP. And in cases where its not an alt.troll player that is a good
>>>suggestion.
>>>
>>>But since Im an ISP Admin and a Moderator, I feel it rather an obligation
>>>to not use killfiles myself. And to let other admins or moderators know if
>>>their users might be breaking their rules. That tends to be true of anyone
>>>in any position I think. Again Im not sure this case fits the bill. Just a
>>>general expanation
>>>
>>>Gandalf Parker
>>
>>Killfiles are like bandages over an infected wound. I think in difool's
>>case we need to use some antibiotics.
>

> You guys can try and convince yourself you're acting out of some sense
> of propriety until you're blue in the face, but the fact is you don't_like_
> what he's saying. Which of course could easily be resolved by not reading
> nor responding to his posts.
>
> It's always funny to me to see in threads like this how shallow is the belief in
> freedom of speech. People who would vociferously espouse the principle
> of free speech are often the first to try and limit it. And all because they somehow
> erroneously believe they have a right to_not be offended_and that supposed
> right supersedes another persons legitimate right to expression.
>
> Jim

Haven't been long here, have you?

He has every right to have an opinion, but once he starts associating
people who use and appreciate Steam as Nazis, that's offensive and wrong
and disregards the rights of others as well.

In article <4206d16c$1@yorrell.saard.net>,
GFree <nickt4001@yahoo.com.au> wrote:

>Haven't been long here, have you?

Only about 10 years.

>He has every right to have an opinion, but once he starts associating
>people who use and appreciate Steam as Nazis, that's offensive and wrong
>and disregards the rights of others as well.

What you apparently don't realize is he has every right to post what he did.
Offensive ? Probably to most. Wrong ? Most I suspect would agree. Disregards
the _rights_ of others ? Nonsense--none of the people posting about reporting
him etc, had a single _right_ of theirs violated.

The price individuals under a democracy pay to claim the right to freedom of
speech, is that speech is sometimes offensive. If you don't understand that,
you don't understand the principle.

Jim

bombelly@wahs.ac (foamy) wrote in news:h0ANd.303143$6l.46102@pd7tw2no:

> It's always funny to me to see in threads like this how shallow is the
> belief in freedom of speech.

Freedom of Speech does not apply. This is Internet. Internet is run by a
democracy which rules a million small tyrannys. You can "cast your vote" to
his SysAdmin, and thats who will decide. Period.

Gandalf Parker

bombelly@wahs.ac (foamy) wrote in news:UIANd.302520$8l.52900@pd7tw1no:

> The price individuals under a democracy pay to claim the right to
> freedom of speech, is that speech is sometimes offensive. If you don't
> understand that, you don't understand the principle.

Democracy? Freedom of Speech? Thats USA.
And even then its rarely mentioned properly since it protects us from
government censors.

But anyway, this is Internet

Gandalf Parker

In article <cu6ksl$j6e$1@solaris.cc.vt.edu>,
acercanto <send.spam@microsoft.com> wrote:

>Free speech is a responsibility as well as a freedom. DiFool has the
>responsibility to be civil (civil=being polite, eg: not calling people
>nazi's). He can say anything he likes (the freedom part) as long as he's
>civil about it (the responsibility part). Since he's foregone the
>responsibility, he loses the associated right. Simple.

The only thing simple is your analysis of what constitutes
freedom of speech. No constitution of any country which
guarantees the right of freedom of speech, includes the
addendum,"..as long as that speech is civil ".

Jim

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

difool bolted into comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg, wreathed in wicked, white hot
flames, and screamed...

>to all steam lovers... your master photo!
>
>http://home.comcast.net/~pudmonkey1/steamfornazis.jpg

Give it a rest. :^(

--
Zag

I thought I could organize freedom, how very
Scandinavian of me. ...Björk

He He.. Ya have a right to say whatever ya want but that doesn,t mean
anyyone has to listen.... Ya'll miss the point...

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with
the intention of arriving safely in an attractive
and well preserved body, but rather to skid in
sideways, cigarette in one hand, favorite beverage in
the other, body thoroughly used up,
totally worn out,and screaming
WOO HOO - What a Ride!"

In article <Xns95F5C080C4DB7gandalfparker@208.201.224.154>
, Gandalf Parker <gandalf@most.of.my.favorite.sites> wrote:

>bombelly@wahs.ac (foamy) wrote in news:h0ANd.303143$6l.46102@pd7tw2no:
>
>> It's always funny to me to see in threads like this how shallow is the
>> belief in freedom of speech.
>
>Freedom of Speech does not apply. This is Internet. Internet is run by a
>democracy which rules a million small tyrannys. You can "cast your vote" to
>his SysAdmin, and thats who will decide. Period.
>Gandalf Parker

Yikes, the great Gandalf has declared the debate over. That " Period " is
intimidating and so authoritative.

You can report him to your heart's content, the fact you would however,
speaks volumes as to your character and level of tolerance of others who
don't happen to be as morally superior as yourself.

Jim

In article <Xns95F5C0CD74F8Cgandalfparker@208.201.224.15
4>, Gandalf Parker <gandalf@most.of.my.favorite.sites> wrote:

>bombelly@wahs.ac (foamy) wrote in news:UIANd.302520$8l.52900@pd7tw1no:
>
>> The price individuals under a democracy pay to claim the right to
>> freedom of speech, is that speech is sometimes offensive. If you don't
>> understand that, you don't understand the principle.
>
>Democracy? Freedom of Speech? Thats USA.

Really ? Well I live in a democracy with a constitution guaranteeing freedom
of speech and it ain't the USA.

>And even then its rarely mentioned properly since it protects us from
>government censors.

Try reading the 1st amendment again, ' abridging ' does not only
apply to censorship.

>But anyway, this is Internet

What does that matter ? It's the behavior of you and others I'm talking about,
not where that behavior occurs.

Jim

In article <mnmd01dg07ha6pp9rvprboimhouqvipk49@4ax.com>
, bk039@ncf.ca (Raymond Martineau) wrote:

>That only works if you don't have to receive his postings to begin with.
>Most ISPs that run newsservers do not have killfiles and have to download
>those posts anyway, which in turn takes up disk space that could be used
>for something more valuable (e.g. alt.binaries.*).

I sincerely don't understand the above. I've never plonked anyone, and have
had no problem not reading posts or threads I didn't want to.

>One individual off-topic posting isn't a problem. However, multiply that
>by the number of repeated off-topic postings. Then multiply that by the
>number of news servers attached to the internet. It won't take long before
>the total disk space occupied by the spamming run to fill up a small hard
>drive.

But off-topic is a function of the participants, not some usenet bible dictating
what can or can't be discussed, isn't it ? The newsgroup I spend almost all
my usenet time on, is the Canucks hockey newsgroup. Over the years, the
regulars and semi-lurkers alike have determined nothing is off topic. It's a vibrant
community, especially when the damn NHL is actually playing. :)

There will be many threads or posts I'm not particularly excited about, and will
simply pass over on them. I guess it's because of this that I see the current flap
over the anti-steam poster as no big deal.

>There is no limitation on freedom of speech on usenet. You can say
>whatever you want, as long as it is within the proper forums and does not
>abuse the Internet. This 'shallowness' does not exist.

I would be willing to bet no one reporting the poster comes to the table with
clean hands. Nary a single off-topic or abusing or insulting or offensive post
in their lives ?

In the group I mentioned above, we've found ignoring, or mockery and humor
does a hell of a better job in dissuading jerk behavior from continuing than threats
of being reported.

Jim

In article <a4od01tefjfnvgi54dmkji27b8fr6egnrq@4ax.com>
, Courageous <dontwant@spam.com> wrote:

>But there have been many people I've reported over the years. Usually
>it's the repeat-duplicate poster types. You know? Same post, again and
>again. "Did you hear the good news?" is going around now, repeatedly
>crossposted, with the same god-saved-you message. I reported that one
>(although I'm doubtful that will do much good).

I can understand that.

>The only other type I have it out for is the "reply in news /and/ in email"
>type. This includes some set of personal insults, in email.

Fortunately I haven't experienced that. But a person taking it to e-mail
is out of bounds afaic, and I would similarly do what it took to put a stop
to it.

Jim

vinCe

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

"foamy" wrote

> It's always funny to me to see in threads like this how shallow is the
> belief in
> freedom of speech.

'Freedom of speech' does not mean 'right to offend'.

The 'Freedom' is never absolute anyway. There are lots of things you would
not be allowed to transmit on TV whatever country you're in.

acercanto <send.spam@microsoft.com> abagooba zoink larblortch

> Free speech is a responsibility as well as a freedom. DiFool has the
> responsibility to be civil (civil=being polite, eg: not calling people
> nazi's). He can say anything he likes (the freedom part) as long as
> he's civil about it (the responsibility part).

Wrong, utterly and completely wrong. Cite the SPECIFIC LAW that says that
one can be legally denied ANY AND ALL COMMUNICATION merely for being rude.
Of course, since you're an idiot and/or lying pig, you will fail to do so.

bk039@ncf.ca (Raymond Martineau) abagooba zoink larblortch

> One individual off-topic posting isn't a problem. However, multiply
> that by the number of repeated off-topic postings. Then multiply that
> by the number of news servers attached to the internet. It won't take
> long before the total disk space occupied by the spamming run to fill
> up a small hard drive.

Or, just stop carrying the worthless pr0n newsgroups. That would make up
for the space thousands of times over. Oops, but that would make lifetime
basement dwellers unhappy, wouldn't it.

TRENDING THREADS