printer for pictures

I am new to digital camera scene. I recently purchased a Canon S1 IS. I am
looking at a printer so that I can print off pictures. I will mostly be
printing 4x6 size prints, but occasionally might print 8x10 prints. I
currently have a HP deskjet 3650 and also a HP 842c. Do you think that
either of these printers will be sufficient (I know that the 3650 has a
photo cartridge, but I haven't bought one yet), or do you have any other
recommendations. I haven't really given it much thought regarding the
budget I'm on for the printer (considering I blew my budget buying the canon
camera), but I could probably consider around the $200 range right now. So,
with this being said, should I stick with one of my current printers, or
should I invest in another model. If anyone could give me some ideas to
work with, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Richard Bullington
12 answers Last reply
More about printer pictures

    On Sun, 16 May 2004 19:35:50 -0400, "Richard and Shaw Bullington"
    <richardandshaw@cox.net> wrote:

    >I am new to digital camera scene. I recently purchased a Canon S1 IS. I am
    >looking at a printer so that I can print off pictures. I will mostly be
    >printing 4x6 size prints, but occasionally might print 8x10 prints. I
    >currently have a HP deskjet 3650 and also a HP 842c. Do you think that
    >either of these printers will be sufficient (I know that the 3650 has a
    >photo cartridge, but I haven't bought one yet), or do you have any other
    >recommendations. I haven't really given it much thought regarding the
    >budget I'm on for the printer (considering I blew my budget buying the canon
    >camera), but I could probably consider around the $200 range right now. So,
    >with this being said, should I stick with one of my current printers, or
    >should I invest in another model. If anyone could give me some ideas to
    >work with, I'd greatly appreciate it.
    >
    >Richard Bullington

    Epson Photo 900. Absolutely brilliant colors and very accurate.

    "Richard and Shaw Bullington" <richardandshaw@cox.net> wrote in message
    > I am new to digital camera scene. I recently purchased a Canon S1 IS. I
    am
    > looking at a printer so that I can print off pictures. I will mostly be
    > printing 4x6 size prints, but occasionally might print 8x10 prints. I
    > currently have a HP deskjet 3650 and also a HP 842c. Do you think that
    > either of these printers will be sufficient (I know that the 3650 has a
    > photo cartridge, but I haven't bought one yet), or do you have any other
    > recommendations. I haven't really given it much thought regarding the
    > budget I'm on for the printer (considering I blew my budget buying the
    canon
    > camera), but I could probably consider around the $200 range right now.
    So,
    > with this being said, should I stick with one of my current printers, or
    > should I invest in another model. If anyone could give me some ideas to
    > work with, I'd greatly appreciate it.
    >
    > Richard Bullington

    To me the answer is obvious. Try what you have and see for yourself. Go for
    the photo cartridge I think you will like it.

    If you can try one of the photo printers at Walmart photo printer - you put
    camera card or CD of pictures into machine, select the ones you want, and
    get pictures an hour later for 24 cents each. Once you start slurping
    through ink cartidges you will see how this can save money.
[...]

    On Mon, 17 May 2004 05:57:42 -0400, "Hu Ru" <secretasianman@usa.com>
    was understood to have stated the following:

    >If you can try one of the photo printers at Walmart photo printer - you put
    >camera card or CD of pictures into machine, select the ones you want, and
    >get pictures an hour later for 24 cents each. Once you start slurping
    >through ink cartidges you will see how this can save money.

    I haven't tried those printers at the Wal-Mart photo center, but I've
    been very pleased with the Kodak Picture Makers there. Print cost is
    $.34, and the quality blows away anything I've ever seen from a
    consumer printer. The upside is there is no wait time.

    My own HP 722c cartridge ran out of yellow ink some time back, and
    I've been reluctant to replace the entire CMY cartridge because one
    channel is dry. Having some experience with high quality image
    printers in an industrial setting, I can safely recommend that you
    purchase a printer with individually replaceable ink channels; it's a
    tremendous waste to have to throw away a cartridge that is still has
    ink because one channel is empty. I wanted a print from my camera, but
    didn't want to replace the cartridge just for the print, so I tried
    the Kodak machine listed above. After seeing the results, I've decided
    that I won't be wasting my time printing on a home printer.

    That being said, unless you have a tremendous desire to print a ton of
    prints at home, I'm in agreement with the previous poster about using
    the digital print machines located in Wally-world. In my case, and I
    can't imagine it is different in other locations, the drug stores that
    populate every corner of this small burg have similar setups.
  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

    David W. Poole, Jr. wrote:
    > On Mon, 17 May 2004 05:57:42 -0400, "Hu Ru" <secretasianman@usa.com>
    > was understood to have stated the following:
    >
    >> If you can try one of the photo printers at Walmart photo printer -
    >> you put camera card or CD of pictures into machine, select the ones
    >> you want, and get pictures an hour later for 24 cents each. Once you
    >> start slurping through ink cartidges you will see how this can save
    >> money.
    >
    > I haven't tried those printers at the Wal-Mart photo center, but I've
    > been very pleased with the Kodak Picture Makers there. Print cost is
    > $.34, and the quality blows away anything I've ever seen from a
    > consumer printer. The upside is there is no wait time.
    >
    > My own HP 722c cartridge ran out of yellow ink some time back, and
    > I've been reluctant to replace the entire CMY cartridge because one
    > channel is dry. Having some experience with high quality image
    > printers in an industrial setting, I can safely recommend that you
    > purchase a printer with individually replaceable ink channels; it's a
    > tremendous waste to have to throw away a cartridge that is still has
    > ink because one channel is empty. I wanted a print from my camera, but
    > didn't want to replace the cartridge just for the print, so I tried
    > the Kodak machine listed above. After seeing the results, I've decided
    > that I won't be wasting my time printing on a home printer.
    >
    > That being said, unless you have a tremendous desire to print a ton of
    > prints at home, I'm in agreement with the previous poster about using
    > the digital print machines located in Wally-world. In my case, and I
    > can't imagine it is different in other locations, the drug stores that
    > populate every corner of this small burg have similar setups.

    I've just purchased an i9950, because every DP magazine this side of the
    pond has been raving about it for months - and rightly so. The quality is -
    well words fail me, it just blows me away. The downside is the damned thing
    is so new I can't purchase replacement red and green tanks for it yet!
  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

    "David W. Poole, Jr." <SpammersAreLosers.20.dwpj65@spamgourmet.com> wrote in
    message news:gulpa016iu9seno589e9cj4jqcut4hjt13@4ax.com...
    > On Mon, 17 May 2004 05:57:42 -0400, "Hu Ru" <secretasianman@usa.com>
    that I won't be wasting my time printing on a home printer.

    > That being said, unless you have a tremendous desire to print a ton of
    > prints at home, I'm in agreement with the previous poster about using
    > the digital print machines located in Wally-world. In my case, and I
    > can't imagine it is different in other locations, the drug stores that
    > populate every corner of this small burg have similar setups.

    For bulk printing the photolab digital 'self-service' printing is very good.
    Here in Perth Western Australia, the best appears to be the Fuji system.
    Like previous posts have said, stick in your pics on whatever media, select,
    crop, etc, pay, and return an hour or so later for your prints (300 + last
    time I went in). It is far chearper than any PC sys and the pics are just
    like regular 35mm film pics. The only PC sys that comes close is the Canon
    Dye-sublimation CP200 system. This is very good for small runs that are not
    cost effective for going to the labs and for individual prints. Unlike
    regular bubble jet, they are colour fast and smudgeproof. But still not
    quite as good as photolab ones.

    Eddie
  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

    "Cerridwen" <cerridwen@celticnet.com> wrote in message
    > David W. Poole, Jr. wrote:
    I've just purchased an i9950, because every DP magazine this side of the
    > pond has been raving about it for months - and rightly so. The quality
    is -
    > well words fail me, it just blows me away. The downside is the damned
    thing
    > is so new I can't purchase replacement red and green tanks for it yet!

    GREEN?

    Eddie
  8. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

    Eddie wrote:
    > "Cerridwen" <cerridwen@celticnet.com> wrote in message
    >> David W. Poole, Jr. wrote:
    > I've just purchased an i9950, because every DP magazine this side of
    > the
    >> pond has been raving about it for months - and rightly so. The
    >> quality is - well words fail me, it just blows me away. The downside
    >> is the damned thing is so new I can't purchase replacement red and
    >> green tanks for it yet!
    >>

    > GREEN?
    >
    > Eddie

    Yes, green. The i9950 (i9900 in North America) is an 8-colour unit (unlike
    its little bro the i990 which is only 7-colour). The red isn't even red -
    it's, well, ORANGE!
  9. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

    "Cerridwen" <cerridwen@celticnet.com> wrote in message news:<c8out5$qj2$1@news7.svr.pol.co.uk>...
    > Yes, green. The i9950 (i9900 in North America) is an 8-colour unit (unlike
    > its little bro the i990 which is only 7-colour). The red isn't even red -
    > it's, well, ORANGE!

    That looks like a decent printer, especially if it prints CDs. :-)

    Have you tried the CD printing yet, and if so, what did you think?

    Cost per tank?

    Unit price?
  10. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

    "Cerridwen" <cerridwen@celticnet.com> wrote in message
    > Eddie wrote:
    > > "Cerridwen" <cerridwen@celticnet.com> wrote in message
    > >> David W. Poole, Jr. wrote:
    > > I've just purchased an i9950, because every DP magazine this side of
    > > the
    > >> pond has been raving about it for months - and rightly so. The
    > >> quality is - well words fail me, it just blows me away. The downside
    > >> is the damned thing is so new I can't purchase replacement red and
    > >> green tanks for it yet!
    > >>

    > > GREEN?
    > >
    > > Eddie
    >
    > Yes, green. The i9950 (i9900 in North America) is an 8-colour unit (unlike
    > its little bro the i990 which is only 7-colour). The red isn't even red -
    > it's, well, ORANGE!

    Ummmm, ta for that. Now I really have to consider my next A4 printer....8
    colour! Next they'll have a 16 million colour printer!

    Eddie In Oz
  11. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

    David W. Poole, Jr. wrote:
    > "Cerridwen" <cerridwen@celticnet.com> wrote in message
    >> Yes, green. The i9950 (i9900 in North America) is an 8-colour unit
    >> (unlike its little bro the i990 which is only 7-colour). The red
    >> isn't even red - it's, well, ORANGE!
    >
    > That looks like a decent printer, especially if it prints CDs. :-)
    >
    > Have you tried the CD printing yet, and if so, what did you think?
    >
    > Cost per tank?
    >
    > Unit price?

    No, I've not tried printing a CD yet, because I've not had need to, but I've
    heard from others who have its little brother (which also prints CDs) that
    it's superb.

    The RRP is $500 (I paid £480), and the ink prices vary enourmously. I use
    JetTec aftermarket carts (UK only) combined with OEM red and green, but only
    because JT are concentrating on Epson's R series at the moment. As soon as
    they start producing them I'll switch back to JT completely.

    It's quiet, fast (I had an i9100 before this - it died after 3 months! -
    and it took 5 minutes to print a full A4 photo. This takes 90 seconds).
    Colour matching is superb, and I get great results on JetTec paper (which I
    like to think of as our equivalent to your Red River).

    No, it isn't cheap, but I don't think it can be beaten.
  12. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

    "Cerridwen" <cerridwen@celticnet.com> wrote in message news:<c8tt3d$leq$1@news6.svr.pol.co.uk>...
    > No, I've not tried printing a CD yet, because I've not had need to, but I've
    > heard from others who have its little brother (which also prints CDs) that
    > it's superb.

    Actually, for my purposes, a decent printer capable of printing on a
    CD would be much better than one for printing on paper. :-) I burn
    more CDs than some people print sheets of paper. If I were looking to
    get quality prints at home I would consider a more expensive printer.
    This I may do as I begin to take photos for other people.

    > The RRP is $500 (I paid £480), and the ink prices vary enourmously. I use
    > JetTec aftermarket carts (UK only) combined with OEM red and green, but only
    > because JT are concentrating on Epson's R series at the moment. As soon as
    > they start producing them I'll switch back to JT completely.

    > It's quiet, fast (I had an i9100 before this - it died after 3 months! -
    > and it took 5 minutes to print a full A4 photo. This takes 90 seconds).
    > Colour matching is superb, and I get great results on JetTec paper (which I
    > like to think of as our equivalent to your Red River).
    >
    > No, it isn't cheap, but I don't think it can be beaten.

    Thanks for the information; I'll definitely keep this printer in mind,
    or it's little brother.

Cameras Hewlett Packard Printers Peripherals