Question about TV Wonder Elite.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 31, 2005 11:53:40 PM

Hello all!

I recently purchased the TV Wonder Elite, thinking that it was essentially a "superset" of
the TV Wonder Pro With Remote. However, as I look at the specifications a bit closer, I
see that there's no mention that the Elite supports THRUVIEW. Does anyone know whether
the Elite *does* support THRUVIEW (or some analogue)?

Thanks!

More about : question elite

Anonymous
April 1, 2005 1:32:35 PM

John Peterson wrote:

> Hello all!
>
> I recently purchased the TV Wonder Elite, thinking that it was essentially
> a "superset" of
> the TV Wonder Pro With Remote. However, as I look at the specifications a
> bit closer, I
> see that there's no mention that the Elite supports THRUVIEW. Does anyone
> know whether the Elite *does* support THRUVIEW (or some analogue)?

That's a driver issue. If it works with MMC then it can do Thruvuiew--even
boards that have no ATI components can do this if they have a driver that
works with MMC, which, surprisingly, a few of the non-ATI-based boards do.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

"J. Clarke" <jclarke.usenet@snet.net.invalid> wrote in message
news:D 2jm1p01g6p@news4.newsguy.com...
> John Peterson wrote:
>
>> Hello all!
>>
>> I recently purchased the TV Wonder Elite, thinking that it was essentially
>> a "superset" of
>> the TV Wonder Pro With Remote. However, as I look at the specifications a
>> bit closer, I
>> see that there's no mention that the Elite supports THRUVIEW. Does anyone
>> know whether the Elite *does* support THRUVIEW (or some analogue)?
>
> That's a driver issue. If it works with MMC then it can do Thruvuiew--even
> boards that have no ATI components can do this if they have a driver that
> works with MMC, which, surprisingly, a few of the non-ATI-based boards do.

Thanks John! As I look through the manual for the TV Wonder Elite:

http://www2.ati.com/manuals/TV_Wonder_Elite_UG_ENU.pdf

It doesn't really state whether the MMC is used. Rather, it suggests that PowerCinema is
the software:

http://www2.ati.com/manuals/PowerCinema_UG_ENU.pdf

However, that PowerCinema manual doesn't suggest whether there's THRUVIEW-like capability
(which makes me think there *isn't*).

Might you have any further insight?

Thanks again!
April 1, 2005 8:17:43 PM

John Peterson wrote:

> "J. Clarke" <jclarke.usenet@snet.net.invalid> wrote in message
> news:D 2jm1p01g6p@news4.newsguy.com...
>> John Peterson wrote:
>>
>>> Hello all!
>>>
>>> I recently purchased the TV Wonder Elite, thinking that it was
>>> essentially a "superset" of
>>> the TV Wonder Pro With Remote. However, as I look at the specifications
>>> a bit closer, I
>>> see that there's no mention that the Elite supports THRUVIEW. Does
>>> anyone know whether the Elite *does* support THRUVIEW (or some
>>> analogue)?
>>
>> That's a driver issue. If it works with MMC then it can do
>> Thruvuiew--even boards that have no ATI components can do this if they
>> have a driver that works with MMC, which, surprisingly, a few of the
>> non-ATI-based boards do.
>
> Thanks John! As I look through the manual for the TV Wonder Elite:
>
> http://www2.ati.com/manuals/TV_Wonder_Elite_UG_ENU.pdf
>
> It doesn't really state whether the MMC is used. Rather, it suggests that
> PowerCinema is the software:
>
> http://www2.ati.com/manuals/PowerCinema_UG_ENU.pdf
>
> However, that PowerCinema manual doesn't suggest whether there's
> THRUVIEW-like capability (which makes me think there *isn't*).
>
> Might you have any further insight?

It's my understanding that in its current form the Elite doesn't support MMC
and I don't really know the limitations of PowerCinema, but would guess
that since Thruview is a function of the ATI board and drivers I would
suspect that a third-party software product would not support it.

You could try to achieve transparency with Hydravision but usually it
doesn't support transparency for video windows.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Anonymous
April 1, 2005 8:17:44 PM

"J. Clarke" <jclarke.usenet@snet.net.invalid> wrote in message
news:D 2kel911ut8@news2.newsguy.com...
> John Peterson wrote:
>
>> "J. Clarke" <jclarke.usenet@snet.net.invalid> wrote in message
>> news:D 2jm1p01g6p@news4.newsguy.com...

>>> That's a driver issue. If it works with MMC then it can do
>>> Thruvuiew--even boards that have no ATI components can do this if they
>>> have a driver that works with MMC, which, surprisingly, a few of the
>>> non-ATI-based boards do.
>>
>> Thanks John! As I look through the manual for the TV Wonder Elite:
>>
>> http://www2.ati.com/manuals/TV_Wonder_Elite_UG_ENU.pdf
>>
>> It doesn't really state whether the MMC is used. Rather, it suggests that
>> PowerCinema is the software:
>>
>> http://www2.ati.com/manuals/PowerCinema_UG_ENU.pdf
>>
>> However, that PowerCinema manual doesn't suggest whether there's
>> THRUVIEW-like capability (which makes me think there *isn't*).
>>
>> Might you have any further insight?
>
> It's my understanding that in its current form the Elite doesn't support MMC
> and I don't really know the limitations of PowerCinema, but would guess
> that since Thruview is a function of the ATI board and drivers I would
> suspect that a third-party software product would not support it.
>
> You could try to achieve transparency with Hydravision but usually it
> doesn't support transparency for video windows.

Well, shoot...that's kind of how I'm interpreting it, too. :-(

It's always something...

Thanks John! :-)
Anonymous
April 2, 2005 9:11:32 PM

"John Peterson" <j0hnp@comcast.net> wrote in message

> "J. Clarke" <jclarke.usenet@snet.net.invalid> wrote in message
> news:D 2kel911ut8@news2.newsguy.com...
>> John Peterson wrote:
>>
>>> "J. Clarke" <jclarke.usenet@snet.net.invalid> wrote in message
>>> news:D 2jm1p01g6p@news4.newsguy.com...

>>> Thanks John! As I look through the manual for the TV Wonder Elite:
>>>
>>> http://www2.ati.com/manuals/TV_Wonder_Elite_UG_ENU.pdf
>>>
>>> It doesn't really state whether the MMC is used. Rather, it suggests
>>> that
>>> PowerCinema is the software:
>>>
>>> http://www2.ati.com/manuals/PowerCinema_UG_ENU.pdf
>>>
>>> However, that PowerCinema manual doesn't suggest whether there's
>>> THRUVIEW-like capability (which makes me think there *isn't*).
>>>
>>> Might you have any further insight?
>>
>> It's my understanding that in its current form the Elite doesn't support
>> MMC
>> and I don't really know the limitations of PowerCinema, but would guess
>> that since Thruview is a function of the ATI board and drivers I would
>> suspect that a third-party software product would not support it.
>>
>> You could try to achieve transparency with Hydravision but usually it
>> doesn't support transparency for video windows.
>
> Well, shoot...that's kind of how I'm interpreting it, too. :-(
>
> It's always something...
>
> Thanks John! :-)
More specifically to get Thruview with an ATI graphics card in the system,
it needs to be at least Radeon level or higher as well. Current MMC versions
will not work with the TV Wonder Elite and I have no idea if ATI are
planning such a version.

Paul
Anonymous
April 2, 2005 9:11:33 PM

"Paul Murphy" <p_murphynothanks@tospamhotmail.com> wrote in message
> "John Peterson" <j0hnp@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "J. Clarke" <jclarke.usenet@snet.net.invalid> wrote in message
>> news:D 2kel911ut8@news2.newsguy.com...

>>> It's my understanding that in its current form the Elite doesn't support MMC
>>> and I don't really know the limitations of PowerCinema, but would guess
>>> that since Thruview is a function of the ATI board and drivers I would
>>> suspect that a third-party software product would not support it.
>>>
>>> You could try to achieve transparency with Hydravision but usually it
>>> doesn't support transparency for video windows.
>>
>> Well, shoot...that's kind of how I'm interpreting it, too. :-(
>>
>> It's always something...
>>
>> Thanks John! :-)
> More specifically to get Thruview with an ATI graphics card in the system, it needs to
> be at least Radeon level or higher as well. Current MMC versions will not work with the
> TV Wonder Elite and I have no idea if ATI are planning such a version.

Thanks Paul! I should have mentioned that I would be using a Radeon X850 with the TV
Tuner card.

THRUVIEW is a big deal to me -- I use it all the time. I'm contemplating forgoing the FM
tuner, and getting the TV Wonder Pro, and returning the Elite. Even though it sounds like
the Elite's video quality is superb, the way I watch TV on my computer is typically with
THRUVIEW.
Anonymous
April 3, 2005 12:01:42 AM

> "Paul Murphy" <p_murphynothanks@tospamhotmail.com> wrote in message
>> "John Peterson" <j0hnp@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "J. Clarke" <jclarke.usenet@snet.net.invalid> wrote in message
>>> news:D 2kel911ut8@news2.newsguy.com...

>>> Well, shoot...that's kind of how I'm interpreting it, too. :-(
>>>
>>> It's always something...
>>>
>>> Thanks John! :-)
>> More specifically to get Thruview with an ATI graphics card in the
>> system, it needs to be at least Radeon level or higher as well. Current
>> MMC versions will not work with the TV Wonder Elite and I have no idea if
>> ATI are planning such a version.
>
> Thanks Paul! I should have mentioned that I would be using a Radeon X850
> with the TV Tuner card.
>
> THRUVIEW is a big deal to me -- I use it all the time. I'm contemplating
> forgoing the FM tuner, and getting the TV Wonder Pro, and returning the
> Elite. Even though it sounds like the Elite's video quality is superb,
> the way I watch TV on my computer is typically with THRUVIEW.

I understand exactly where you're coming from, I use Thruview allot as well.
I'd also like the card to support MulTView when used with All In Wonder
Radeons but since the Elite isn't currently supported by MMC its out of the
question. If ATI were to make this hardware fully MMC compatible then it
would be the cats whiskers but currently, unless its used under Windows MCE
2005, its more of a dog. You're lucky you have the choice to buy a TV Wonder
Pro where you are, I've not heard of them being made for anywhere other than
NTSC countries such as the US and Canada so countries that use the PAL or
SECAM TV Broadcast format (most of the world) miss out. The third party
company made version of the TV Wonder Elite (made for Universal PAL/SECAM
compatibility) is still more than a few weeks away from release here in the
UK.

Paul
!