Non-Admin User Can Delete Files in Shared Document

I am using Windows XP Home SP2 and realised my non-admin users can delete
folders/files I moved to "shared documents" under "my computer". How do I
prevent this? According to the MS support web site, be default, folders/files
moved to "shared documents" have level 3 security, only read access for
non-admin users.

Would appreciate any help and advise.
3 answers Last reply
More about admin user delete files shared document

    >I am using Windows XP Home SP2 and realised my non-admin users can delete
    > folders/files I moved to "shared documents" under "my computer". How do I
    > prevent this? According to the MS support web site, be default,
    > folders/files
    > moved to "shared documents" have level 3 security, only read access for
    > non-admin users.
    >
    > Would appreciate any help and advise.

    If you *move* a file, it will keep it's existing security settings. So if
    you grab something from one user's own documents folder, and move it to the
    shared folder, they will still have access. The easiest way to get around
    this is to *copy* the file and delete the original.

    Of course, there is absolutely no filesystem security unless your volumes
    are formatted with NTFS (as opposed to FAT32.) You can determine what
    filesystem the volume uses by right-clicking the drive letter in Explorer/My
    Computer and choosing Properties.

    If you are using FAT32 and want to convert, see...

    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/convertfat.mspx

    --
    Colin Nash
    Microsoft MVP

    Peter wrote:

    > You obviously not a father yet otherwise you would understand why
    > there is a need to restrict the access to read only for a 5 years old
    > boy.
    >
    > Fot the benefit of other readers, I would like to share my expereince.
    >
    > After reading other threads in this forum I realise I am not alone
    > with this challenge and I conclude that you simply can not set the
    > files/folders permission in a Widnows XP Home, period. Fortunatley, in
    > the same forum I found the workaround. You can set the files/folders
    > permission in Windows XP Home Safe mode. I did that last night and it
    > works.
    >
    > BTW, I did not run the System Restore before I did the above otherwise
    > I would really have messed up the systems. Thanks and no thanks to
    > your "advise"

    Actually, I'm a mother and I stand behind what I originally said which
    you misinterpreted: I can't imagine what files a 5-year old child would
    be reading and/or having the opportunity to delete on a shared
    computer. A 5-year old child should not be on a computer unsupervised.
    In case you didn't understand what I meant, here it is again:

    If he's old enough to use the computer, he's old enough to learn
    the word, "No". If you let a 5-year old child delete files on a shared
    computer, then you deserve what you get.

    Malke
    --
    MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
    Elephant Boy Computers

    In article <uDKH$BegFHA.3912@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>,
    notreally@invalid.com says...
    > Peter wrote:
    >
    > > You obviously not a father yet otherwise you would understand why
    > > there is a need to restrict the access to read only for a 5 years old
    > > boy.
    > >
    > > Fot the benefit of other readers, I would like to share my expereince.
    > >
    > > After reading other threads in this forum I realise I am not alone
    > > with this challenge and I conclude that you simply can not set the
    > > files/folders permission in a Widnows XP Home, period. Fortunatley, in
    > > the same forum I found the workaround. You can set the files/folders
    > > permission in Windows XP Home Safe mode. I did that last night and it
    > > works.
    > >
    > > BTW, I did not run the System Restore before I did the above otherwise
    > > I would really have messed up the systems. Thanks and no thanks to
    > > your "advise"
    > >
    > Actually, I'm a mother and I stand behind what I originally said which
    > you misinterpreted: I can't imagine what files a 5-year old child would
    > be reading and/or having the opportunity to delete on a shared
    > computer. A 5-year old child should not be on a computer unsupervised.
    > In case you didn't understand what I meant, here it is again:
    >
    > If he's old enough to use the computer, he's old enough to learn
    > the word, "No". If you let a 5-year old child delete files on a shared
    > computer, then you deserve what you get.

    Many people don't have two computers or know enough to setup permissions
    or even use NTFS.

    If the person in question had know to use NTFS, create an account for
    the adults and one for the kids, then used NTFS security permissions to
    protect the shared folders they store their documents in, as long as the
    kids were just "users" they would not be able to delete any secured
    files/folders.

    As a father of three kids that started using computers at age 3, it was
    simple for me to setup areas where they could interact with the system
    (s) and still secure my data - but being a network admin I already knew
    how to secure it. Most home users don't have a clue about NTFS or
    security settings.

    Rather than preach to them about monitoring kids, which could still lead
    to deleted files, how about explaining to them the merits of file/folder
    security.

    spam999free@rrohio.com
    remove 999 in order to email me

Security Windows XP