Can't find tuner on AIW Radeon 9600XT

Installed this card on windows xp SP1

Open video on MMC
go to setup
Video tab
Go to the Input Selector drop down box
and I only see Composite / S-Video

Does anyone know where the TV Tuner is?

The box says it does TV, and there are RF sockets in on the card.
I can even see the silver rectangular TV tuner module on the card...but no
TV Tuner

Gecube All-in-wonder Radeon 9600XT

Interestingly I also have an ATI AIW Radeon 8500
When I upgraded to the latest MMC 9.02 (the final install for 8500)
I also no longer see my tv tuner which I previously had..

Am I looking in the wrong place..

Any help would be appreciated
13 answers Last reply
More about find tuner radeon 9600xt

    "Help" <kn@ic.co.zn> wrote in message news:d2kgjk$4kb$1@lust.ihug.co.nz...

    > Installed this card on windows xp SP1
    >
    > Open video on MMC
    > go to setup
    > Video tab
    > Go to the Input Selector drop down box
    > and I only see Composite / S-Video
    >
    > Does anyone know where the TV Tuner is?
    >
    > The box says it does TV, and there are RF sockets in on the card.
    > I can even see the silver rectangular TV tuner module on the card...but no
    > TV Tuner
    >
    > Gecube All-in-wonder Radeon 9600XT
    >
    > Interestingly I also have an ATI AIW Radeon 8500
    > When I upgraded to the latest MMC 9.02 (the final install for 8500)
    > I also no longer see my tv tuner which I previously had..
    >
    > Am I looking in the wrong place..
    >
    > Any help would be appreciated

    You could look in Device Manager and see if the Tuner is installed
    correctly.
    The AIW capture drivers are installed with the display drivers not MMC. You
    may need to do a reinstall and install the Capture drivers first.
    Are you in New Zealand and if so is that NTSC, PAL or ????
    HTH

    "T Shadow" <knone@zilch.com.invalid> wrote in message
    > "Help" <kn@ic.co.zn> wrote in message news:d2kgjk$4kb$1@lust.ihug.co.nz...
    >>
    >> Installed this card on windows xp SP1
    >>
    >> Open video on MMC
    >> go to setup
    >> Video tab
    >> Go to the Input Selector drop down box
    >> and I only see Composite / S-Video
    >>
    >> Does anyone know where the TV Tuner is?
    >>
    >> The box says it does TV, and there are RF sockets in on the card.
    >> I can even see the silver rectangular TV tuner module on the card...but
    >> no
    >> TV Tuner
    >>
    >> Gecube All-in-wonder Radeon 9600XT
    >>
    >> Interestingly I also have an ATI AIW Radeon 8500
    >> When I upgraded to the latest MMC 9.02 (the final install for 8500)
    >> I also no longer see my tv tuner which I previously had..
    >>
    >> Am I looking in the wrong place..
    >>
    >> Any help would be appreciated
    >>

    > You could look in Device Manager and see if the Tuner is installed
    > correctly.
    > The AIW capture drivers are installed with the display drivers not MMC.
    > You
    > may need to do a reinstall and install the Capture drivers first.
    > Are you in New Zealand and if so is that NTSC, PAL or ????
    > HTH

    I think you've hit the nail on the head with that final sentence. Maybe the
    OP isn't aware that in order to work in a country other than where the card
    was bought it needs to support the broadcasting format of that country. In
    the case of NZ that's PAL B/G - but a Universal PAL/SECAM card should allow
    the correct selections. What's HTH?

    Paul

    In device manager I can see ATI WDM TV Tuner
    "This device is working properly"

    NZ is PAL

    The driver installation came as a package as part of a suite which was fully
    installed...I don't remember an option otherwise.

    Funny thing is I had it with my original installation but lost it when I
    upgraded to MMC 9.02

    "T Shadow" <knone@zilch.com.invalid> wrote in message
    > "Help" <kn@ic.co.zn> wrote in message news:d2kgjk$4kb$1@lust.ihug.co.nz...
    > >
    > > Installed this card on windows xp SP1
    > >
    > > Open video on MMC
    > > go to setup
    > > Video tab
    > > Go to the Input Selector drop down box
    > > and I only see Composite / S-Video
    > >
    > > Does anyone know where the TV Tuner is?
    > >
    > > The box says it does TV, and there are RF sockets in on the card.
    > > I can even see the silver rectangular TV tuner module on the card...but
    no
    > > TV Tuner
    > >
    > > Gecube All-in-wonder Radeon 9600XT
    > >
    > > Interestingly I also have an ATI AIW Radeon 8500
    > > When I upgraded to the latest MMC 9.02 (the final install for 8500)
    > > I also no longer see my tv tuner which I previously had..
    > >
    > > Am I looking in the wrong place..
    > >
    > > Any help would be appreciated
    > >

    > You could look in Device Manager and see if the Tuner is installed
    > correctly.
    > The AIW capture drivers are installed with the display drivers not MMC.
    You
    > may need to do a reinstall and install the Capture drivers first.
    > Are you in New Zealand and if so is that NTSC, PAL or ????
    > HTH

    Are saying you've had it working before in New Zealand? What other options
    are in device manager associated with it? Specifically do you have an ATI
    WDM Teletext Decoder in there or not?

    NZ is more specifically PAL B/G - there are different flavours of PAL and
    cards designed for one specific format, say PAL I as used in the UK may not
    work properly in a PAL B/G country. Have you tried using MMC 9.06 (after
    uninstalling all existing traces of MMC and rebooting)? I know the 9xxx
    series is the minimum officially supported card but I have 3 pre 9xxx series
    All In Wonders (including an 8500 DV the same as yours) and they all work
    fine with MMC 9.06.

    Paul
    PS I used to be a customer of Ihug back when they started out - I wish the
    ISPs in the UK were as good.

    "Paul Murphy" <p_murphynothanks@tospamhotmail.com> wrote in message
    > "T Shadow" <knone@zilch.com.invalid> wrote in message
    > > "Help" <kn@ic.co.zn> wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> Installed this card on windows xp SP1
    > >>
    > >> Open video on MMC
    > >> go to setup
    > >> Video tab
    > >> Go to the Input Selector drop down box
    > >> and I only see Composite / S-Video
    > >>
    > >> Does anyone know where the TV Tuner is?
    > >>
    > >> The box says it does TV, and there are RF sockets in on the card.
    > >> I can even see the silver rectangular TV tuner module on the card...but
    > >> no
    > >> TV Tuner
    > >>
    > >> Gecube All-in-wonder Radeon 9600XT
    > >>
    > >> Interestingly I also have an ATI AIW Radeon 8500
    > >> When I upgraded to the latest MMC 9.02 (the final install for 8500)
    > >> I also no longer see my tv tuner which I previously had..
    > >>
    > >> Am I looking in the wrong place..
    > >>
    > >> Any help would be appreciated
    > >>

    > > You could look in Device Manager and see if the Tuner is installed
    > > correctly.
    > > The AIW capture drivers are installed with the display drivers not MMC.
    > > You
    > > may need to do a reinstall and install the Capture drivers first.
    > > Are you in New Zealand and if so is that NTSC, PAL or ????
    > > HTH
    > >
    > I think you've hit the nail on the head with that final sentence. Maybe
    the
    > OP isn't aware that in order to work in a country other than where the
    card
    > was bought it needs to support the broadcasting format of that country. In
    > the case of NZ that's PAL B/G - but a Universal PAL/SECAM card should
    allow
    > the correct selections. What's HTH?
    >
    > Paul

    Hope This Helps

    "Ken C" <kn@ic.co.zn> wrote in message news:d2mdth$95g$1@lust.ihug.co.nz...
    > In device manager I can see ATI WDM TV Tuner
    > "This device is working properly"
    >
    > NZ is PAL
    >
    > The driver installation came as a package as part of a suite which was
    fully
    > installed...I don't remember an option otherwise.
    >
    > Funny thing is I had it with my original installation but lost it when I
    > upgraded to MMC 9.02
    >

    > "T Shadow" <knone@zilch.com.invalid> wrote in message
    > > "Help" <kn@ic.co.zn> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > Installed this card on windows xp SP1
    > > >
    > > > Open video on MMC
    > > > go to setup
    > > > Video tab
    > > > Go to the Input Selector drop down box
    > > > and I only see Composite / S-Video
    > > >
    > > > Does anyone know where the TV Tuner is?
    > > >
    > > > The box says it does TV, and there are RF sockets in on the card.
    > > > I can even see the silver rectangular TV tuner module on the
    card...but
    > no
    > > > TV Tuner
    > > >
    > > > Gecube All-in-wonder Radeon 9600XT
    > > >
    > > > Interestingly I also have an ATI AIW Radeon 8500
    > > > When I upgraded to the latest MMC 9.02 (the final install for 8500)
    > > > I also no longer see my tv tuner which I previously had..
    > > >
    > > > Am I looking in the wrong place..
    > > >
    > > > Any help would be appreciated
    > > >

    > > You could look in Device Manager and see if the Tuner is installed
    > > correctly.
    > > The AIW capture drivers are installed with the display drivers not MMC.
    > You
    > > may need to do a reinstall and install the Capture drivers first.
    > > Are you in New Zealand and if so is that NTSC, PAL or ????
    > > HTH

    The individual drivers can be downloaded separately. They are the ones at
    the bottom listed under dial-up. If you've already installed a package the
    individual setup programs will be in C:\ATI\support. Either way go back to
    the Cat web page and read the release notes for the WDM Integrated Drivers.
    Sounds like It may be your problem.

    Ihug was the 1st ISP to offer flatrate unlimited dialup back in the mid-90s
    but never joined them because it was so hard to dialup as the lines were
    constantly packed.

    Until late 2000 when I embraced their ultra satelite and tv package. Soon
    the TV service ended. I actually wanted the TV more than the broadband.
    I had to call them out once to repair the dish which they did for free.

    I always had the impression ISPs here in NZ were overpriced and below par.

    Just migrated to their ADSL bliink....package with mixed results.
    .....they stopped my satelite service, double charged me while I was waiting
    for my router from them to arrive. they only reversed part of it. Tried to
    argue about the balance but it was too hard and the amount was to small. The
    D-link DSL-G604T hardware that comes out with it makes high pitch noises and
    is also dodgy. Replacement still makes a noise.

    ....overall....mixed feelings about ihug.

    "Paul Murphy" <p_murphynothanks@tospamhotmail.com> wrote in message

    > Paul
    > PS I used to be a customer of Ihug back when they started out - I wish the
    > ISPs in the UK were as good.

    Sounds like they've changed allot (as well as the increase in size) in the 5
    years or so since I left NZ :-( I very rarely had any problems getting a
    free dialup line when I was with them on flat rate dialup but now I don't
    need to worry about any of that. In the UK there's flat rate ADSL - that's
    what I use.

    How did you go with getting your ATI hardware working - I remember when I
    was still in NZ it was almost a case of "AT who" due to their insignificant
    presence in the marketplace. Was all your ATI hardware bought there?

    Paul

    "Ken C" <kn@ic.co.zn> wrote in message news:d2sdho$cer$1@lust.ihug.co.nz...
    > Ihug was the 1st ISP to offer flatrate unlimited dialup back in the
    > mid-90s
    > but never joined them because it was so hard to dialup as the lines were
    > constantly packed.
    >
    > Until late 2000 when I embraced their ultra satelite and tv package. Soon
    > the TV service ended. I actually wanted the TV more than the broadband.
    > I had to call them out once to repair the dish which they did for free.
    >
    > I always had the impression ISPs here in NZ were overpriced and below par.
    >
    > Just migrated to their ADSL bliink....package with mixed results.
    > ....they stopped my satelite service, double charged me while I was
    > waiting
    > for my router from them to arrive. they only reversed part of it. Tried to
    > argue about the balance but it was too hard and the amount was to small.
    > The
    > D-link DSL-G604T hardware that comes out with it makes high pitch noises
    > and
    > is also dodgy. Replacement still makes a noise.
    >
    > ...overall....mixed feelings about ihug.
    >

    > "Paul Murphy" <p_murphynothanks@tospamhotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Paul
    >> PS I used to be a customer of Ihug back when they started out - I wish
    >> the
    >> ISPs in the UK were as good.

    They resolved that in a year or so but I went with Iconz for a while (still
    use them for email) because they were so reliable, albiet at price premium.

    The best deal around is probably Ihugs adsl (branded as bliink)
    I'm on the 2Mb lite plan for NZ$60
    2Mbit download 128Kbit upload (test suggest my actual is about 1 MBit)
    10GB limit (but if you go over that they won't charge extra but will
    throttle back speed)

    There is virtually no limitless flatrate adsl in NZ.

    sign up for 12 mths and they will throw in free ADSL modem or knock off a
    $100 off an adsl router

    re video card

    I first bought my AIW ATI (original) from the USA Radeon 8500DV a couple of
    years ago for something like NZ$450 landed of ebay. Sure the tuner was
    American but I was using a video as a tuning and analog source anyway. Still
    gave me multistd/system capture capabilities but I just could not use the
    built in tuner, not that I wanted to because I figured it did not have NICAM
    built into it. I could see the tuner device...just could not use it.

    Upgraded the drivers & software...the tuner dissapeared. No worries, wasnt
    using it anyway so I didnt care. At least I know have Divx capture on the
    fly where I previously did not have.

    I was building a PC for a friend and got a gecube AIW Radeon 9600XT sourced
    locally from Ascent a reputable company. Installed all the drivers and
    software. No tuner either. Strange I thought. The ATI CD that came with it
    was just a one button install suite (not as if I had to do anything in
    sequence).

    Anyway he is also happy to use a spare VCR he has as a tuner, but it would
    have been nice to fix this.

    I have pretty much given up (I spent hours putting everything together)

    Who knows, I might re-visit this later when I have a bit more spare time.

    > Sounds like they've changed allot (as well as the increase in size) in the
    5
    > years or so since I left NZ :-( I very rarely had any problems getting a
    > free dialup line when I was with them on flat rate dialup but now I don't
    > need to worry about any of that. In the UK there's flat rate ADSL - that's
    > what I use.
    >
    > How did you go with getting your ATI hardware working - I remember when I
    > was still in NZ it was almost a case of "AT who" due to their
    insignificant
    > presence in the marketplace. Was all your ATI hardware bought there?
    >
    > Paul

    "Ken C" <kn@ic.co.zn> wrote in message news:d2th7g$ijt$1@lust.ihug.co.nz...
    <snip>

    > I was building a PC for a friend and got a gecube AIW Radeon 9600XT
    > sourced
    > locally from Ascent a reputable company. Installed all the drivers and
    > software. No tuner either. Strange I thought. The ATI CD that came with it
    > was just a one button install suite (not as if I had to do anything in
    > sequence).
    >
    > Anyway he is also happy to use a spare VCR he has as a tuner, but it would
    > have been nice to fix this.
    >
    > I have pretty much given up (I spent hours putting everything together)
    >
    > Who knows, I might re-visit this later when I have a bit more spare time.

    I understand if you have no time now but if its a new buy and its not
    working properly the sooner you contact the supplier, the sooner it can be
    sorted. Even though it was bought in NZ, perhaps they mistakenly got a batch
    of NTSC cards - what are the aerial connectors like - threaded like your
    8500DV or "push-in" type? Does the WDM Teletext Decoder show under Sound &
    Game controllers in device manager? Another thing you could try is changing
    your PCs location setting to another country which also uses PAL B/G - say
    Singapore or Australia, just in case there's an issue with MMCs
    configuration for NZ settings. Perhaps someone else who's used an AIW in New
    Zealand can comment.

    Paul

    My 8500 is threaded (US version)

    The 9600XT (sourced locally) is the push in type

    No WDM Teletext decoded is not shown.
    I do have ATI WDM
    - Rage Audio (&video)
    - Specialized MVD (&PCD) Codec
    - TV Audio Crossbar
    - TV Tuner

    no comment from NZ owners yet from nz.comp

    "Paul Murphy" <p_murphynothanks@tospamhotmail.com> wrote in message
    > <snip>
    > I understand if you have no time now but if its a new buy and its not
    > working properly the sooner you contact the supplier, the sooner it can be
    > sorted. Even though it was bought in NZ, perhaps they mistakenly got a
    batch
    > of NTSC cards - what are the aerial connectors like - threaded like your
    > 8500DV or "push-in" type? Does the WDM Teletext Decoder show under Sound &
    > Game controllers in device manager? Another thing you could try is
    changing
    > your PCs location setting to another country which also uses PAL B/G - say
    > Singapore or Australia, just in case there's an issue with MMCs
    > configuration for NZ settings. Perhaps someone else who's used an AIW in
    New
    > Zealand can comment.
    >
    > Paul

    Well if its this card here:
    http://www.gecube.com/mbu/productCategory.php?proID=31 the website makes no
    mention of teletext support (which is most unusual for a PAL/SECAM card) but
    instead mentions guide plus (which is a USA - NTSC only thing). Perhaps this
    and the lack of a teletext driver means your hardware doesn't support that
    function. Perhaps that has something to do with why the TV Tuner input isn't
    available (although it shouldn't be).

    Is there a broadcast standard drop down list underneath the connector drop
    down list and if so what is it set to? If its not already there try changing
    it to PAL-B (the standard used there) and restarting MMC to see if there is
    a difference.

    Paul

    "Ken C" <kn@ic.co.zn> wrote in message news:d2v4ga$ppe$1@lust.ihug.co.nz...
    > My 8500 is threaded (US version)
    >
    > The 9600XT (sourced locally) is the push in type
    >
    > No WDM Teletext decoded is not shown.
    > I do have ATI WDM
    > - Rage Audio (&video)
    > - Specialized MVD (&PCD) Codec
    > - TV Audio Crossbar
    > - TV Tuner
    >
    > no comment from NZ owners yet from nz.comp
    >

    > "Paul Murphy" <p_murphynothanks@tospamhotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> <snip>
    >> I understand if you have no time now but if its a new buy and its not
    >> working properly the sooner you contact the supplier, the sooner it can
    >> be
    >> sorted. Even though it was bought in NZ, perhaps they mistakenly got a
    > batch
    >> of NTSC cards - what are the aerial connectors like - threaded like your
    >> 8500DV or "push-in" type? Does the WDM Teletext Decoder show under Sound
    >> &
    >> Game controllers in device manager? Another thing you could try is
    > changing
    >> your PCs location setting to another country which also uses PAL B/G -
    >> say
    >> Singapore or Australia, just in case there's an issue with MMCs
    >> configuration for NZ settings. Perhaps someone else who's used an AIW in
    > New
    >> Zealand can comment.
    >>
    >> Paul

    Yep that is the card!

    It is already set as PAL-B
    Also tried restarting MMC

    Have emailed ascent's support, maybe I'll get a response.

    Might try re-installing the latest drivers tonight, although I feel that
    should have all worked with the CD out of the box...

    ....feels like I'm flogging a dead horse....sigh!

    > Well if its this card here:
    > http://www.gecube.com/mbu/productCategory.php?proID=31 the website makes
    no
    > mention of teletext support (which is most unusual for a PAL/SECAM card)
    but
    > instead mentions guide plus (which is a USA - NTSC only thing). Perhaps
    this
    > and the lack of a teletext driver means your hardware doesn't support that
    > function. Perhaps that has something to do with why the TV Tuner input
    isn't
    > available (although it shouldn't be).
    >
    > Is there a broadcast standard drop down list underneath the connector drop
    > down list and if so what is it set to? If its not already there try
    changing
    > it to PAL-B (the standard used there) and restarting MMC to see if there
    is
    > a difference.
    >
    > Paul
    >
    > "Ken C" <kn@ic.co.zn> wrote in message
    > > My 8500 is threaded (US version)
    > >
    > > The 9600XT (sourced locally) is the push in type
    > >
    > > No WDM Teletext decoded is not shown.
    > > I do have ATI WDM
    > > - Rage Audio (&video)
    > > - Specialized MVD (&PCD) Codec
    > > - TV Audio Crossbar
    > > - TV Tuner
    > >
    > > no comment from NZ owners yet from nz.comp
    > >

    > > "Paul Murphy" <p_murphynothanks@tospamhotmail.com> wrote in message
    > >> <snip>
    > >> I understand if you have no time now but if its a new buy and its not
    > >> working properly the sooner you contact the supplier, the sooner it can
    > >> be
    > >> sorted. Even though it was bought in NZ, perhaps they mistakenly got a
    > > batch
    > >> of NTSC cards - what are the aerial connectors like - threaded like
    your
    > >> 8500DV or "push-in" type? Does the WDM Teletext Decoder show under
    Sound
    > >> &
    > >> Game controllers in device manager? Another thing you could try is
    > > changing
    > >> your PCs location setting to another country which also uses PAL B/G -
    > >> say
    > >> Singapore or Australia, just in case there's an issue with MMCs
    > >> configuration for NZ settings. Perhaps someone else who's used an AIW
    in
    > > New
    > >> Zealand can comment.
    > >>
    > >> Paul