Netgear Router and Zone Alarm - redundancy?

July 3, 2005 6:36:12 PM

Archived from groups: alt.os.windows-xp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

Is it necessary to use a firewall such as Zone Alarm if using a Netgear
router. I was reading that these routers have a built in firewall.
July 3, 2005 8:15:54 PM

<notsure@perplexed.com> wrote in message
news:p KGdndtZTsSxo1XfRVn-uw@giganews.com...
> Is it necessary to use a firewall such as Zone Alarm if using a Netgear
> router. I was reading that these routers have a built in firewall.

You're going to get many answers from both sides of the fence on this one.
Routers have what's called a NAT (network address translation) firewall. In
short it means that your not showing your ass to the digital world.
With a router you have an internal or private IP address (ex. 192.168.1.100)
and an external or public IP address (the IP address given to your cable/DSL
modem by your internet company). With a router in place requests made to
your public IP address stop there (unless the router is given special
instructions to foreword the request).
The one good thing a software firewall does is monitor OUTGOING traffic as
well as incoming and alert you the instant it happens. The good thing here
being that you can monitor exactly what request are being made of the
internet by your OS.

Are software firewalls needed if you have a hardware firewall (router) in
place? I think the answer depends on the particular computer/user in
question. Ask yourself if the computer you are referring is regularly being
bombarded with virus-filled emails or if you are constantly getting extra
toolbars or pop ups. If the answer is yes then by all means DL a good
firewall (ZA is one of the best). But if you don't get viruses or spyware
then don't bother.
--

"I don't cheat to survive. I cheat to LIVE!!"
- Alceryes

Archived from groups: alt.os.windows-xp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

notsure@perplexed.com, <notsure@perplexed.com>, the hasty-witted, pockmarked
poof, and flax dresser, moaned:

> Is it necessary to use a firewall such as Zone Alarm if using a
> Netgear router. I was reading that these routers have a built in
> firewall.

Depends if you buy one with a firewall built in or not, you'll have a
reasonable level of protection from the NAT of you configure the router
appropriately.

You may decide you'll want to keep a software firewall on the PC to give you
a more graphic idea of what is going on and for the purpose of blocking
things from getting 'out' of your PC rather than just 'in'.

It depends largely on your intended use for your PC or PC's, if you had
bothered to give us a few details then you might have got a more specific
answer.
!