New OS - can’t get files in old EFS-encrypted directory

About a month ago, my OS/programs drive crashed. I’ve purchased a new
drive, installed the OS (WinXP pro) and am now trying to get back some
encrypted files.

I have 3 directories that are present on a 2nd ’data’ hard drive that
were encrypted w/ the old OS’x WinXP EFS. I have *.cer and *.pfx files
that I exported from the old OS, before it died. I imported/added
these keys and certificates to the new OS. I even tried to re-create
the old user account on my new OS. Nevertheless, the new OS will not
allow me to read or decrypt anything w/in these EFS-encrypted
directories.

Anyone have suggestions?

-Kevin

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Security-Admin-OS-files-EFS-encrypted-directory-ftopict552756.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1752795
3 answers Last reply
More about files encrypted directory

    Caobhin wrote:
    > About a month ago, my OS/programs drive crashed. I’ve purchased a new
    > drive, installed the OS (WinXP pro) and am now trying to get back some
    > encrypted files.
    >
    > I have 3 directories that are present on a 2nd ’data’ hard drive that
    > were encrypted w/ the old OS’x WinXP EFS. I have *.cer and *.pfx files
    > that I exported from the old OS, before it died. I imported/added
    > these keys and certificates to the new OS. I even tried to re-create
    > the old user account on my new OS. Nevertheless, the new OS will not
    > allow me to read or decrypt anything w/in these EFS-encrypted
    > directories.
    >
    > Anyone have suggestions?
    >
    > -Kevin

    Have you also taken ownership of the old folders?

    HOW TO Take Ownership of a File or Folder in WinXP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q308421

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    Caobhin wrote:
    > About a month ago, my OS/programs drive crashed. I’ve purchased a new
    > drive, installed the OS (WinXP pro) and am now trying to get back some
    > encrypted files.
    >
    > I have 3 directories that are present on a 2nd ’data’ hard drive that
    > were encrypted w/ the old OS’x WinXP EFS. I have *.cer and *.pfx files
    > that I exported from the old OS, before it died. I imported/added
    > these keys and certificates to the new OS. I even tried to re-create
    > the old user account on my new OS. Nevertheless, the new OS will not
    > allow me to read or decrypt anything w/in these EFS-encrypted
    > directories.
    >
    > Anyone have suggestions?

    You mentioned EFS..
    ....and you mentioned you had backups of the keys/certs.. (Good.)

    But you did not mention any errors (specific) you were seeing..
    Access Denied?
    Did you "take ownership" first?

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP

    "Caobhin" wrote:
    > About a month ago, my OS/programs drive crashed. I've
    > purchased a new drive, installed the OS (WinXP pro) and am now
    > trying to get back some encrypted files.
    >
    > I have 3 directories that are present on a 2nd 'data' hard
    > drive that were encrypted w/ the old OS'x WinXP EFS. I have
    > *.cer and *.pfx files that I exported from the old OS, before
    > it died. I imported/added these keys and certificates to the
    > new OS. I even tried to re-create the old user account on my
    > new OS. Nevertheless, the new OS will not allow me to read or
    > decrypt anything w/in these EFS-encrypted directories.
    >
    > Anyone have suggestions?
    >
    > -Kevin

    Actually, I solved this today. All I had to do was set ownership of
    the parent directory to the ’administrators’ group on my new OS. That
    allowed me to get in, read, and decrypt the files.

    -Kevin
    :D

Windows XP