New OS - can’t get files in old EFS-encrypted directory

July 3, 2005 7:37:01 PM

About a month ago, my OS/programs drive crashed. I’ve purchased a new
drive, installed the OS (WinXP pro) and am now trying to get back some
encrypted files.

I have 3 directories that are present on a 2nd ’data’ hard drive that
were encrypted w/ the old OS’x WinXP EFS. I have *.cer and *.pfx files
that I exported from the old OS, before it died. I imported/added
these keys and certificates to the new OS. I even tried to re-create
the old user account on my new OS. Nevertheless, the new OS will not
allow me to read or decrypt anything w/in these EFS-encrypted
directories.

Anyone have suggestions?

-Kevin

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Security-Admin-OS-files-EF...
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1752795
Anonymous
July 3, 2005 7:37:02 PM

Caobhin wrote:
> About a month ago, my OS/programs drive crashed. I’ve purchased a new
> drive, installed the OS (WinXP pro) and am now trying to get back some
> encrypted files.
>
> I have 3 directories that are present on a 2nd ’data’ hard drive that
> were encrypted w/ the old OS’x WinXP EFS. I have *.cer and *.pfx files
> that I exported from the old OS, before it died. I imported/added
> these keys and certificates to the new OS. I even tried to re-create
> the old user account on my new OS. Nevertheless, the new OS will not
> allow me to read or decrypt anything w/in these EFS-encrypted
> directories.
>
> Anyone have suggestions?
>
> -Kevin

Have you also taken ownership of the old folders?

HOW TO Take Ownership of a File or Folder in WinXP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q308421

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH
Anonymous
July 3, 2005 7:38:18 PM

Caobhin wrote:
> About a month ago, my OS/programs drive crashed. I’ve purchased a new
> drive, installed the OS (WinXP pro) and am now trying to get back some
> encrypted files.
>
> I have 3 directories that are present on a 2nd ’data’ hard drive that
> were encrypted w/ the old OS’x WinXP EFS. I have *.cer and *.pfx files
> that I exported from the old OS, before it died. I imported/added
> these keys and certificates to the new OS. I even tried to re-create
> the old user account on my new OS. Nevertheless, the new OS will not
> allow me to read or decrypt anything w/in these EFS-encrypted
> directories.
>
> Anyone have suggestions?

You mentioned EFS..
....and you mentioned you had backups of the keys/certs.. (Good.)

But you did not mention any errors (specific) you were seeing..
Access Denied?
Did you "take ownership" first?

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

"Caobhin" wrote:
> About a month ago, my OS/programs drive crashed. I've
> purchased a new drive, installed the OS (WinXP pro) and am now
> trying to get back some encrypted files.
>
> I have 3 directories that are present on a 2nd 'data' hard
> drive that were encrypted w/ the old OS'x WinXP EFS. I have
> *.cer and *.pfx files that I exported from the old OS, before
> it died. I imported/added these keys and certificates to the
> new OS. I even tried to re-create the old user account on my
> new OS. Nevertheless, the new OS will not allow me to read or
> decrypt anything w/in these EFS-encrypted directories.
>
> Anyone have suggestions?
>
> -Kevin

Actually, I solved this today. All I had to do was set ownership of
the parent directory to the ’administrators’ group on my new OS. That
allowed me to get in, read, and decrypt the files.

-Kevin
:D
!