XP Professional SP1a Licensing - HP Restore Plus! CD

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

Hi,

Apologies in advance for cross-posting - I can't see any Microsoft
Licensing group listed and there doesn't appear to be a de-facto
standard group for discussing such issues.

I recently had to look at a HP Compaq business PC which was for some
reason requesting reactivation after every cold boot. The owner had the
OS cd but not the Restore Plus! disk, so I submitted the machine
details to HP and they sent over a replacement. However, it has a
completely different product key. On further investigation, I get the
impression it MIGHT request reactivation in the future - albeit several
hundred thousand days in the future...

I've also noticed that the OS CD will *NOT* accept the OEM Product key
provided on the COA sticker mounted on the side of the case. It will
only accept the one on the Restore Plus! disk.

So, questions:

1. From a SOX Compliance perspective, how can I provide documentary
evidence that this machine is properly licensed, given that the
authentic Microsoft COA on this machine doesn't match the installation
created from the Restore Plus! disk and the Restore Plus! disk didn't
come with a new COA?

2. Begging an even larger question, since the replacement disk is quite
obviously *not* hardwired to one specific workstation, and its
activation status is time-limited to millennia, what - hypothetically -
would happen were I to use this same disk to rebuild a dozen identical
workstations instead of just the one?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

You may wish to discuss your situation directly with HP.

HP Instant Support Professional Edition
http://instantsupport.asiapac.hp.com/euserv/jsp/hpinstantsupport.jsp

--
Carey Frisch