Switching from FX5700 to Radeon 9550?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
a b U Graphics card
April 2, 2005 4:05:46 PM

I'm considering pulling my NVIDIA FX5700 256MB video card, due to the noise
generated from the cooling fan. I plan to replace it with an ATI Radeon
9550 256MB video card. It has a passive heat sink, and would solve my noise
problem.

Will I gain, or loose, anything, making this switch?

Thanks,
Bill Crocker
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
April 2, 2005 10:15:25 PM

Bill Crocker wrote:

" Will I gain, or loose, anything, making this switch? "

You'll get less performance from the Radeon 9550. It will be cheaper,
and better, to buy an Arctic Cooling NV Silencer 1 (Rev. 2).
http://www.arctic-cooling.com/vga2.php?idx=37
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
April 2, 2005 11:57:42 PM

Bill Crocker wrote:
> I'm considering pulling my NVIDIA FX5700 256MB video card, due to the noise
> generated from the cooling fan. I plan to replace it with an ATI Radeon
> 9550 256MB video card. It has a passive heat sink, and would solve my noise
> problem.
>
> Will I gain, or loose, anything, making this switch?
>
> Thanks,
> Bill Crocker

Which 9550 are you looking at that has the passive cooling only?
a b U Graphics card
April 2, 2005 11:57:43 PM

"ofn01" <netusr@internet.not> wrote in message
> Bill Crocker wrote:
>> I'm considering pulling my NVIDIA FX5700 256MB video card, due to the
>> noise generated from the cooling fan. I plan to replace it with an ATI
>> Radeon 9550 256MB video card. It has a passive heat sink, and would
>> solve my noise problem.
>>
>> Will I gain, or loose, anything, making this switch?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Bill Crocker
>
> Which 9550 are you looking at that has the passive cooling only?

ATI's own product, on their web site:

http://www.ati.com/products/radeon9550/gallery.html

Bill Crocker
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
April 3, 2005 1:55:05 PM

Bill Crocker wrote:
> "ofn01" <netusr@internet.not> wrote in message
>
>>Bill Crocker wrote:
>>
>>>I'm considering pulling my NVIDIA FX5700 256MB video card, due to the
>>>noise generated from the cooling fan. I plan to replace it with an ATI
>>>Radeon 9550 256MB video card. It has a passive heat sink, and would
>>>solve my noise problem.
>>>
>>>Will I gain, or loose, anything, making this switch?
>>>
>>>Thanks,
>>>Bill Crocker
>>
>>Which 9550 are you looking at that has the passive cooling only?
>

> ATI's own product, on their web site:
>
> http://www.ati.com/products/radeon9550/gallery.html
>
> Bill Crocker

ok, on their site they do not define between the SE and the standard -
they just group the 9550 under one section with one set of images.
Chances are that the picture is of an SE. I had a quick look around and
it does seem that gigabyte do have passive versions for both the
standard and the SE (you can see under the 9550 area on this page)
http://tw.giga-byte.com/VGA/Default.htm

Sapphire tech - who make boards under their own name and also for ATI's
brand name i believe, have the 9550 as a fan model and the SE as a
heatsink only (however from their website they just show the fan model
for both the standard and the SE - but I have a sapphire tech 9550SE and
it is a heatsink only)

http://www.sapphiretech.com/media/media.asp
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
April 3, 2005 7:15:12 PM

I ended up buying a VisionTek Xtasy Radeon 9600 256MB. It was $119.99,
after a $30.00 rebate, at Circuit City. It has a passive heat sink (no fan,
no noise). It works great! Thanks for all of your input!

Bill Crocker

!