HL2 Offline play

Is there a legit patch for playing HL2 without an internet connection or
is this a warez type crack?
8 answers Last reply
More about offline play

    SHRED wrote:
    > Is there a legit patch for playing HL2 without an internet connection or
    > is this a warez type crack?

    Depends. There are two scenarios:

    (1) If you've had some kind of net connection to activate and update the
    game, you don't need any further net connection from that point onwards.
    You can play in offline mode, assuming Valve have finalised your copy.

    (2) If you've don't have any access to a net connection, an illegal
    warez copy of HL2 will allow play without a net connection. Highly
    unadvised.

    SHRED wrote:
    > Is there a legit patch for playing HL2 without an internet connection or
    > is this a warez type crack?

    You don't need a patch - Just make sure you've successfully logged in to
    Steam once, then from therafter you can use the offline mode.

    (Note - offline mode only works when your computer is not connected to
    the internet. if Steam finds an internet connection, then offline mode
    will not work)

    --
    Ben Cottrell AKA Bench

    Ben Cottrell wrote:
    > SHRED wrote:
    >
    >> Is there a legit patch for playing HL2 without an internet connection
    >> or is this a warez type crack?
    >

    > You don't need a patch - Just make sure you've successfully logged in to
    > Steam once, then from therafter you can use the offline mode.
    >
    > (Note - offline mode only works when your computer is not connected to
    > the internet. if Steam finds an internet connection, then offline mode
    > will not work)

    Thanks.
    I was wondering about that.
    I didn't see the "offline" option on Steam menu so I assume now that I
    physically unhook the cable and it will default to "offline mode"?

    SHRED wrote:
    I assume now that I
    > physically unhook the cable and it will default to "offline mode"?

    Exactly. Or if your internet connection requires you to "dial-up" or
    manually connect then it will also work. Steam will make use of an open
    connection, but cannot open a connection by itself.

    "Chadwick" <chadwick110@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > SHRED wrote:
    > I assume now that I
    >> physically unhook the cable and it will default to "offline mode"?
    >
    > Exactly. Or if your internet connection requires you to "dial-up" or
    > manually connect then it will also work. Steam will make use of an open
    > connection, but cannot open a connection by itself.

    Just a thought - could you not configure the windows firewall to block all
    traffic from steam, thus making it think its not connected

    Iain Dingsdale wrote:

    >>I assume now that I
    >>
    >>>physically unhook the cable and it will default to "offline mode"?
    >>
    >>Exactly. Or if your internet connection requires you to "dial-up" or
    >>manually connect then it will also work. Steam will make use of an open
    >>connection, but cannot open a connection by itself.
    >

    > Just a thought - could you not configure the windows firewall to block all
    > traffic from steam, thus making it think its not connected

    No, Steam still somehow knows there's an internet connection (don't know
    how, but it does).. It'll just sit there trying to update. :/

    --
    Ben Cottrell AKA Bench

    Ben Cottrell wrote:
    > Iain Dingsdale wrote:
    >
    >>> I assume now that I

    >>> Exactly. Or if your internet connection requires you to "dial-up" or
    >>> manually connect then it will also work. Steam will make use of an open
    >>> connection, but cannot open a connection by itself.
    >>

    >> Just a thought - could you not configure the windows firewall to block
    >> all traffic from steam, thus making it think its not connected
    >

    > No, Steam still somehow knows there's an internet connection (don't know
    > how, but it does).. It'll just sit there trying to update. :/

    OK the OP says 'Windows' firewall which I haven't tried (turned off
    since SP2) but you got me thinking and wandering whether 'normal'
    firewalls might fare. Now I'm normally permanently connected (1MB BB)
    but thought I'd test this out with my McAfee...

    Under 'Internet Applications' I blocked Steam.exe and HL2.exe in my
    McAfee firewall and then started Steam. Pop-up said no internet
    connection do you want to start in offline mode? Said yes and now I
    have the Steam icon with a red line above it sitting in the system tray
    (offline mode). Finished by starting up HL2 and it fires up in offline
    mode no probs.

    ....shouldn't have done it though - want to play HL2 again now despite my
    promises to finish some of my other games first :-) Shaun

    --
    "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always
    so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts"

    Bertrand Russell

    "SHRED" <noone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    > Ben Cottrell wrote:
    >> SHRED wrote:
    >>
    >>> Is there a legit patch for playing HL2 without an internet connection or
    >>> is this a warez type crack?
    >>

    >> You don't need a patch - Just make sure you've successfully logged in to
    >> Steam once, then from therafter you can use the offline mode.
    >>
    >> (Note - offline mode only works when your computer is not connected to
    >> the internet. if Steam finds an internet connection, then offline mode
    >> will not work)
    >>

    > Thanks.
    > I was wondering about that.
    > I didn't see the "offline" option on Steam menu so I assume now that I
    > physically unhook the cable and it will default to "offline mode"?

    Yah. Or, if you're running a firewall that let's you do so, just deny
    HL2 and Steam access to the 'net. When you run HL2 it'll muck about for
    several seconds, looking for a connection, then ask you if you want to play
    offline.

    S-M

Games Internet Connection Video Games