Disable Wireless Connection at Start-Up?

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

IBM ThinkPad T41
Windows XP Pro

This notebook does not have a hardware button to turn on/off the WiFi
connection. As far as I can determine, I have to manually disable the
wireless connection and it starts right back up when I power up the
computer. I want to have the option of manually turning it on when I want
to as opposed to having to remember to turn it off when I don't need it
and/or to conserve the battery.

Is there a way I can prevent it from starting up, either through msconfig or
in the registry?

Thanks.
2 answers Last reply
More about disable wireless connection start
  1. Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

    Right click on your My Network Places icon on the desktop, then pick
    properties. Once the new windows opens, right click on your Wireless LAN
    Icon, and choose disable. That will disable the network connection for you.

    Dan

    Guy Quinn wrote:
    > IBM ThinkPad T41
    > Windows XP Pro
    >
    > This notebook does not have a hardware button to turn on/off the WiFi
    > connection. As far as I can determine, I have to manually disable the
    > wireless connection and it starts right back up when I power up the
    > computer. I want to have the option of manually turning it on when I
    > want to as opposed to having to remember to turn it off when I don't
    > need it and/or to conserve the battery.
    >
    > Is there a way I can prevent it from starting up, either through
    > msconfig or in the registry?
    >
    > Thanks.

    try Fn + F5 - does a dialog come up?

    --