Rage IIc driver

This is what pisses me off about ATI.. it's never easy finding a driver
because they use such stupid names with their cards that don't correspond
to what it *actually* is.

I have a Rage IIc AGP card that I want to find a newer driver for. When I
search, I find "Rage 128" "Rage Pro" and 'Rage XL'... WTF is their problem
with just putting all of their drivers in one place...

Anyway, enough venting - anybody know where I can track this down???
Thanks.
7 answers Last reply
More about rage driver

    "The Chris" <cabell@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > This is what pisses me off about ATI.. it's never easy finding a driver
    > because they use such stupid names with their cards that don't correspond
    > to what it *actually* is.
    >
    > I have a Rage IIc AGP card that I want to find a newer driver for. When I
    > search, I find "Rage 128" "Rage Pro" and 'Rage XL'... WTF is their problem
    > with just putting all of their drivers in one place...
    >
    > Anyway, enough venting - anybody know where I can track this down???
    > Thanks.

    For what OS?

    Tony

    "TMack" <REMOVETHECAPStonymackin@bigfoot.com> wrote in

    > "The Chris" <cabell@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> This is what pisses me off about ATI.. it's never easy finding a
    >> driver because they use such stupid names with their cards that don't
    >> correspond to what it *actually* is.
    >>
    >> I have a Rage IIc AGP card that I want to find a newer driver for.
    >> When I search, I find "Rage 128" "Rage Pro" and 'Rage XL'... WTF is
    >> their problem with just putting all of their drivers in one place...
    >>
    >> Anyway, enough venting - anybody know where I can track this down???
    >> Thanks.
    >
    > For what OS?
    >
    > Tony

    Sorry, should have made that clear - XP.

    >>> This is what pisses me off about ATI.. it's never easy finding a
    >>> driver because they use such stupid names with their cards that don't
    >>> correspond to what it *actually* is.
    >>>
    >>> I have a Rage IIc AGP card that I want to find a newer driver for.
    >>> When I search, I find "Rage 128" "Rage Pro" and 'Rage XL'... WTF is
    >>> their problem with just putting all of their drivers in one place...
    >>>
    >>> Anyway, enough venting - anybody know where I can track this down???
    >>> Thanks.
    >>

    > Sorry, should have made that clear - XP.

    I did same thing for same card. It turns out the driver comes with WinXP.
    There is no better or newer driver than that one. I still have the card in a
    drawer with a bunch of other old video cards. It is fine for 2D but forget
    about playing 3D games. The original Radeon (7200) or 8500 can be had for
    next to nothing and will still play the vast majority of 3D games just fine.

    -Kent

    "Kent_Diego" <None@Nomicrosoft.com> wrote in

    >> Sorry, should have made that clear - XP.
    >
    > I did same thing for same card. It turns out the driver comes with
    > WinXP. There is no better or newer driver than that one. I still have
    > the card in a drawer with a bunch of other old video cards. It is fine
    > for 2D but forget about playing 3D games. The original Radeon (7200)
    > or 8500 can be had for next to nothing and will still play the vast
    > majority of 3D games just fine.
    >
    > -Kent

    I'm not interested in games at all. I have an AIW 128 Pro that I wanted
    to use for video capture and for watching TV on my screen, but, it
    consistently locked up every time I tried to run that TV app.

    This card - for some reason - makes my Proview Flat Screen monitor look
    like it's burning. I don't know how to describe it better. Lots of
    blinking that the refresh rate won't fix. I have two PC's hooked up to a
    KVM, and it doesn't do that with my Dell and its NVidea card...

    These drivers are from 2001. ATI hasn't upgraded them?? Yikes.

    > These drivers are from 2001. ATI hasn't upgraded them?? Yikes.

    The same could be said for my old Xpert 2000 AGP video card. The last
    driver update was when Windows XP first came out in 2001. That card now
    sits in the basement somewhere and hasn't been used in a while.

    Anyway, even if you don't game (which I find surprising in itself), getting
    a video card better than the Rage IIc would cost very little. Even a 9200SE
    would be worlds ahead of the Rage IIc and would also be very cheap. And you
    could run current drivers with it.

    "NightSky 421" <nightsky421@yahoo.ca> wrote in

    > "The Chris" <cabell@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> These drivers are from 2001. ATI hasn't upgraded them?? Yikes.
    >>

    > The same could be said for my old Xpert 2000 AGP video card. The last
    > driver update was when Windows XP first came out in 2001. That card
    > now sits in the basement somewhere and hasn't been used in a while.
    >
    > Anyway, even if you don't game (which I find surprising in itself),
    > getting a video card better than the Rage IIc would cost very little.
    > Even a 9200SE would be worlds ahead of the Rage IIc and would also be
    > very cheap. And you could run current drivers with it.

    Nah - never was interested in games on the PC. I'm a musician and movie
    buff. As long as I can record and watch movies, I'm fine...

    I think I'm done with ATI. Like Creative, I don't like the way they
    support their products.

    > Nah - never was interested in games on the PC. I'm a musician and movie
    > buff. As long as I can record and watch movies, I'm fine...

    I guess it comes down to the old saying - to each their own! :-)

    > I think I'm done with ATI. Like Creative, I don't like the way they
    > support their products.

    I'm not too terribly thrilled with how Creative Labs supports their sound
    cards. It seems like as if you don't have the most current sound card,
    driver updates aren't a priority for them.

    As for ATI, if you have a Radeon 7000 and up, they're good about driver
    updates, but I admit that I wasn't too thrilled about how they dumped driver
    support for all other cards. My Xpert 2000 was still OK for basic tasks
    even in 2002, but all driver support ended after they released a driver for
    Windows XP in 2001. I thought they could have at least come out with one or
    two more updates. My next video card will probably be an ATI card, but
    that's because I've been happy with my experience with my 9800 Pro.

Radeon ATI Graphics