How do I make all files and folders available to all users?

Hi,

I run a single computer with WinXP SP2.

Originally, I had one user name to which I gave administrator rights.

A little later I made some setting errors, and as an easy way out
created a new user name to which also I gave administrator rights.

After that I found that files I had downloaded under the first user name
were unavailable to me under the new user name. The folders showed as
being empty, could not be moved or deleted.

Will you please tell me what settings I have to make such that all files
and folders on the computer will be available to all user names.

Thank you

Royston.

Malke

Royston Tin wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I run a single computer with WinXP SP2.
>
> Originally, I had one user name to which I gave administrator rights.
>
> A little later I made some setting errors, and as an easy way out
> created a new user name to which also I gave administrator rights.
>
> After that I found that files I had downloaded under the first user
> name were unavailable to me under the new user name. The folders
> showed as being empty, could not be moved or deleted.
>
> Will you please tell me what settings I have to make such that all
> files and folders on the computer will be available to all user names.

You need to take ownership of the files/folders. Either type "take
ownership" into XP's Help & Support or:

Take Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows XP [Q308421] -
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308421

Malke
--
MS-MVP Windows User/Shell