Still having probs with ATI Radeon 9800 Pro - Help please

It seemed to go away for a bit but is coming back with a vengeance.
Basically am getting lines of broken red pixels, or blue pixels garbling the
screen, in games they are lined up along obvious textures, in windows they
are usually vertical, and often show up when windows are moved, sometimes
you can "wipe them away" by dragging a window but they come back somewhere
else. It is caught on a screen grab in Paint Shop so I don't think it can be
a monitor or connection problem, it is on the video card or elsewhere in
hardware.

Are there diagnostic programs that can test your video card?

Should I just buy a new video card - if so, which?

I'm using a DVI flat panel, but it happens inboth digital and analog mode,
it also appears when I uninstall catalysts and start with VGA mode drivers,
so I don't even think it's the drivers.

At a bit of a loss here. I have a second monitor to test - a CRT to confirm
its not a monitor prob but can't see how it can be given what I've said
already

please help
very frustrating!
6 answers Last reply
More about still probs radeon 9800 please

    Lee Harris wrote:
    > It seemed to go away for a bit but is coming back with a vengeance.
    > Basically am getting lines of broken red pixels, or blue pixels garbling the
    > screen, in games they are lined up along obvious textures, in windows they
    > are usually vertical, and often show up when windows are moved, sometimes
    > you can "wipe them away" by dragging a window but they come back somewhere
    > else. It is caught on a screen grab in Paint Shop so I don't think it can be
    > a monitor or connection problem, it is on the video card or elsewhere in
    > hardware.
    >
    > Are there diagnostic programs that can test your video card?
    >
    > Should I just buy a new video card - if so, which?
    >
    > I'm using a DVI flat panel, but it happens inboth digital and analog mode,
    > it also appears when I uninstall catalysts and start with VGA mode drivers,
    > so I don't even think it's the drivers.
    >
    > At a bit of a loss here. I have a second monitor to test - a CRT to confirm
    > its not a monitor prob but can't see how it can be given what I've said
    > already
    >
    > please help
    > very frustrating!

    Have you checked the fan to see if it is clogged up at all/spinning
    properly? Did you ever overclock it in the past? Could be a heat issue
    due to the fan not working properly. I also saw recently that someone
    said they had their 9800 Pro go bad on them and they took the HSF off
    and the thermal paste had tried out badly so they re-applied some new
    stuff and the card worked fine. Hard to say if heat is the problem
    though or if it is just dying?

    "ofn01" <netusr@internet.not> wrote in message
    > Lee Harris wrote:
    >> It seemed to go away for a bit but is coming back with a vengeance.
    >> Basically am getting lines of broken red pixels, or blue pixels garbling
    >> the screen, in games they are lined up along obvious textures, in windows
    >> they are usually vertical, and often show up when windows are moved,
    >> sometimes you can "wipe them away" by dragging a window but they come
    >> back somewhere else. It is caught on a screen grab in Paint Shop so I
    >> don't think it can be a monitor or connection problem, it is on the video
    >> card or elsewhere in hardware.
    >>
    >> Are there diagnostic programs that can test your video card?
    >>
    >> Should I just buy a new video card - if so, which?
    >>
    >> I'm using a DVI flat panel, but it happens inboth digital and analog
    >> mode, it also appears when I uninstall catalysts and start with VGA mode
    >> drivers, so I don't even think it's the drivers.
    >>
    >> At a bit of a loss here. I have a second monitor to test - a CRT to
    >> confirm its not a monitor prob but can't see how it can be given what
    >> I've said already
    >>
    >> please help
    >> very frustrating!
    >
    > Have you checked the fan to see if it is clogged up at all/spinning
    > properly? Did you ever overclock it in the past? Could be a heat issue due
    > to the fan not working properly. I also saw recently that someone said
    > they had their 9800 Pro go bad on them and they took the HSF off and the
    > thermal paste had tried out badly so they re-applied some new stuff and
    > the card worked fine. Hard to say if heat is the problem though or if it
    > is just dying?

    I am beginning to think that the beeps I heard from the PC were my videocard
    warning me it was overheating. Damn it. Just stock cooling on there, but I
    guess I will open it up and see whats happened. My guess is if it is
    heating, it is too far gone now and needs replacing and extra cooling used.
    Bother

    Why not have a go at fixing the cooling. If it works, it will be much
    cheaper than a new card.

    JK

    "JK" <jkhpub@rogers.com> wrote in message
    > Why not have a go at fixing the cooling. If it works, it will be much
    > cheaper than a new card.

    I have no idea how to do that. The fan/sink seem to be permanently attached
    with plastic lugs and the screws holding the fan in place are tiny. I think
    the fan may not be working.

    as the problem appears very soon after turning it on, I fear it's
    permanently damaged

    > JK
    >
    > "Lee Harris" <lee.harris4@virgin.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "ofn01" <netusr@internet.not> wrote in message

    >>> Have you checked the fan to see if it is clogged up at all/spinning
    >>> properly? Did you ever overclock it in the past? Could be a heat issue
    >>> due to the fan not working properly. I also saw recently that someone
    >>> said they had their 9800 Pro go bad on them and they took the HSF off
    >>> and the thermal paste had tried out badly so they re-applied some new
    >>> stuff and the card worked fine. Hard to say if heat is the problem
    >>> though or if it is just dying?
    >>
    >> I am beginning to think that the beeps I heard from the PC were my
    >> videocard warning me it was overheating. Damn it. Just stock cooling on
    >> there, but I guess I will open it up and see whats happened. My guess is
    >> if it is heating, it is too far gone now and needs replacing and extra
    >> cooling used. Bother

    I had similar problems w/my 9800 Pro. Even though it wasn't overclocked
    (ever) it still was artifacting badly. I removed the heat sink and
    discovered the thermal paste (TIM) had dried out to a flaky crust, which is
    great for apple pies but not so good for thermal xfer. I cleaned off the old
    thermal paste (w/carb cleaner and then rubbing alcohol), put on some arctic
    silver III and added an old pentium high-speed, ball-bearing fan. All my
    artifacting disappeared and I even o'clocked my 9800 pro to 416/380!

    It's not too hard to get the heatsink off. You have to first remove the fan
    which is held on by screws. Then you have to pull the pins out of the push
    pins (from where the fan was located) and then gently push them out from the
    other side. Installation is the reverse. Just make damn sure you don't EVER
    apply too much pressure to the heatsink as you can damage the GPU core.

    --
    Remove nospam to email

    Lee Harris wrote:
    > "JK" <jkhpub@rogers.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>Why not have a go at fixing the cooling. If it works, it will be much
    >>cheaper than a new card.
    >>

    > I have no idea how to do that. The fan/sink seem to be permanently attached
    > with plastic lugs and the screws holding the fan in place are tiny. I think
    > the fan may not be working.
    >
    > as the problem appears very soon after turning it on, I fear it's
    > permanently damaged

    You can always have a go at fixing it.
    Main thing is to observe static precautions - make sure that you use
    either a static strap or if you don't have one you can get away with
    touching any non-painted part of your computer while it is plugged in
    (but not turned on!) and then not moving your feet while you do the job.

    This page here is a review for an arctic cooler but it also shows with
    pictures how to remove the 9800 Pro heatsink.

    http://www.pclabs.gen.tr/article.asp?doc=295

    You want to get yourself some ISO Propyl alcohol (most chemists or a
    good computer shop should have this) and some new thermal paste (like
    arctic silver) to clean and replace the existing thermal paste and then
    re-attach the heatsink to the card.

Radeon ATI Graphics