PLEASE EXTRA URGENT PLEASE! THIS IS EXTREMLY IMPORTANT

I am a user of windows XP home edition, and I had windows XP installed on C
drive partition and my documents on D drive partition (only 2 partitions). In
XP settings, I am the administrator, and I had a user name and password too
to my account.
Windows XP stopped responding and would never log in again, so I had to
format my c: drive, but after I reinstalled XP (also home edition), I couldnt
access my documents located on D:\ , and it would give me an error message
"access is denied". also it shows the size of the folder as 0bytes, despite
that I have more than 30GB of works in it! Please this is extremly urgent, I
am a medical student and have all my works and projects in my documents, and
cant even imagine losing them! How can i recover my documents and decrypt the
folder? Note that I didnt lose the password or username, I know it, but it
simply wouldnt let me access it or prompt for any user name or password.

please if u have any suggestion to do so email me at babi984@hotmail.com or
mob2003@med.cornell.edu

Thanks a lot in advance.

"Elija" <Elija@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am a user of windows XP home edition, and I had windows XP installed on C
> drive partition and my documents on D drive partition (only 2 partitions).
> In
> XP settings, I am the administrator, and I had a user name and password
> too
> to my account.
> Windows XP stopped responding and would never log in again, so I had to
> format my c: drive, but after I reinstalled XP (also home edition), I
> couldnt
> access my documents located on D:\ , and it would give me an error message
> "access is denied". also it shows the size of the folder as 0bytes,
> despite
> that I have more than 30GB of works in it! Please this is extremly urgent,
> am a medical student and have all my works and projects in my documents,
> and
> cant even imagine losing them! How can i recover my documents and decrypt
> the
> folder? Note that I didnt lose the password or username, I know it, but it
> simply wouldnt let me access it or prompt for any user name or password.
>
> please if u have any suggestion to do so email me at babi984@hotmail.com
> or
> mob2003@med.cornell.edu
>
> Thanks a lot in advance.

You have to take ownership of the files. Even though you may have used the
same user name and password Windows thinks you are a different user. When
you create a user Windows creates a Security Identifier called a SID. Even
though the username and password are the same the SIDs are different.

How to take ownership

Explanation of SIDs
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prdp_log_zhiu.asp

Kerry

Kerry, I went to the link you provided, but I couldnt find 1 of the things
that the web-site mentions.

Could u add me to ur msn messenger if u are online now, so u can tell me how
to do it by remote.

Thanks a lot for your time.

"Kerry Brown" wrote:

> "Elija" <Elija@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am a user of windows XP home edition, and I had windows XP installed on C
> > drive partition and my documents on D drive partition (only 2 partitions).
> > In
> > XP settings, I am the administrator, and I had a user name and password
> > too
> > to my account.
> > Windows XP stopped responding and would never log in again, so I had to
> > format my c: drive, but after I reinstalled XP (also home edition), I
> > couldnt
> > access my documents located on D:\ , and it would give me an error message
> > "access is denied". also it shows the size of the folder as 0bytes,
> > despite
> > that I have more than 30GB of works in it! Please this is extremly urgent,
> > am a medical student and have all my works and projects in my documents,
> > and
> > cant even imagine losing them! How can i recover my documents and decrypt
> > the
> > folder? Note that I didnt lose the password or username, I know it, but it
> > simply wouldnt let me access it or prompt for any user name or password.
> >
> > please if u have any suggestion to do so email me at babi984@hotmail.com
> > or
> > mob2003@med.cornell.edu
> >
> > Thanks a lot in advance.
>
> You have to take ownership of the files. Even though you may have used the
> same user name and password Windows thinks you are a different user. When
> you create a user Windows creates a Security Identifier called a SID. Even
> though the username and password are the same the SIDs are different.
>
> How to take ownership
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308421
>
> Explanation of SIDs
> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prdp_log_zhiu.asp
>
> Kerry

Thanks a lot for your help, it finally worked and i recovered my documents

> Thanks a lot for your help, it finally worked and i recovered my documents
>
> "Elija" wrote:

Glad you got it sorted out.

Kerry

>> Kerry, I went to the link you provided, but I couldnt find 1 of the
>> things
>> that the web-site mentions.
>>
>> Could u add me to ur msn messenger if u are online now, so u can tell me
>> how
>> to do it by remote.
>>
>> Thanks a lot for your time.
>>
>> "Kerry Brown" wrote:
>>
>> > "Elija" <Elija@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

>> > You have to take ownership of the files. Even though you may have used
>> > the
>> > same user name and password Windows thinks you are a different user.
>> > When
>> > you create a user Windows creates a Security Identifier called a SID.
>> > Even
>> > though the username and password are the same the SIDs are different.
>> >
>> > How to take ownership
>> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308421
>> >
>> > Explanation of SIDs
>> > http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prdp_log_zhiu.asp
>> >
>> > Kerry

For XP Home, you can only access the Security tab in Safe Mode. As the computer boots, press the F8 key between the BIOS POST screen and XP actually starting to load.

Additionally:

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=308421

HOW TO: Set, View, Change, or Remove File and Folder Permissions in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308418

HOW TO: Set, View, Change, or Remove Special Permissions for Files and Folders
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;308419

HOW TO: Disable Simplified Sharing and Password-Protect a Shared Folder in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;307874

Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
--------------------------------
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

Elija wrote:
> I am a user of windows XP home edition, and I had windows XP installed on C
> drive partition and my documents on D drive partition (only 2 partitions). In
> XP settings, I am the administrator, and I had a user name and password too
> to my account.
> Windows XP stopped responding and would never log in again, so I had to
> format my c: drive, but after I reinstalled XP (also home edition), I couldnt
> access my documents located on D:\ , and it would give me an error message
> "access is denied". also it shows the size of the folder as 0bytes, despite
> that I have more than 30GB of works in it! Please this is extremly urgent, I
> am a medical student and have all my works and projects in my documents, and
> cant even imagine losing them! How can i recover my documents and decrypt the
> folder? Note that I didnt lose the password or username, I know it, but it
> simply wouldnt let me access it or prompt for any user name or password.
>
> please if u have any suggestion to do so email me at babi984@hotmail.com or
> mob2003@med.cornell.edu
>
> Thanks a lot in advance.

Well, since your data is so extremely important, I'm sure that you have
a recent backup from which to restore, if necessary. Right?

As far as the OS is concerned, you're most not the same person who
created those data files; ergo, you shouldn't blindly be granted access
to them. You'll need to re-create your privileges to the files by
taking "ownership" of them.

HOW TO Take Ownership of a File or Folder in WinXP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q308421

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you: