Same update keeps installing every time

Problem:
Security update for Microsoft VM installs, complains that update is for an
existing version of VM and installs again the next day. I don't have VM on my
machine. Seems like the OS does not know what I have on my machine and what
has been installed.

816093: Security Update Microsoft Virtual Machine (Microsoft VM)
This update helps resolve a vulnerability in the Microsoft virtual machine.

This setup will only upgrade over an existing version of the Microsoft VM.
8 answers Last reply
More about same update installing time

    Hi Bald,

    try the following:

    Start / Run: services.msc

    Double click Automatic Updates service and click STOP

    Change the startup type to Manual

    Open Windows Explorer

    Browse to %SystemRoot%\SoftwareDistribution (where %SystemRoot% is usually
    c:\windows)

    Copy Folders Download and DataStore to another location

    Open Download folder and delete the content

    Open DataStore and delete the content

    Start / Run: services.msc

    Change the startup type to Automatic

    Double click Automatic Updates service and click START

    Download the update again, restart your computer and check if the problem
    still exists.

    Let us know.

    For direct e-mailing remove "-spam" from my e-mail address
    --
    Best Regards,
    Matija Hrovat

    "Bald Eagle" <BaldEagle@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Problem:
    > Security update for Microsoft VM installs, complains that update is for an
    > existing version of VM and installs again the next day. I don't have VM on
    > my
    > machine. Seems like the OS does not know what I have on my machine and
    > what
    > has been installed.
    >
    > 816093: Security Update Microsoft Virtual Machine (Microsoft VM)
    > This update helps resolve a vulnerability in the Microsoft virtual
    > machine.
    >
    > This setup will only upgrade over an existing version of the Microsoft VM.

    Worked!! Thanks so much!!

    "Matija Hrovat" wrote:

    > Hi Bald,
    >
    > try the following:
    >

    > Start / Run: services.msc
    >

    > Double click Automatic Updates service and click STOP
    >
    > Change the startup type to Manual
    >

    > Open Windows Explorer
    >
    > Browse to %SystemRoot%\SoftwareDistribution (where %SystemRoot% is usually
    > c:\windows)
    >
    > Copy Folders Download and DataStore to another location
    >
    > Open Download folder and delete the content
    >
    > Open DataStore and delete the content
    >

    > Start / Run: services.msc
    >

    > Change the startup type to Automatic
    >
    > Double click Automatic Updates service and click START
    >

    > Download the update again, restart your computer and check if the problem
    > still exists.
    >

    > Let us know.

    > For direct e-mailing remove "-spam" from my e-mail address
    > --
    > Best Regards,
    > Matija Hrovat
    >
    > "Bald Eagle" <BaldEagle@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Problem:
    > > Security update for Microsoft VM installs, complains that update is for an
    > > existing version of VM and installs again the next day. I don't have VM on
    > > my
    > > machine. Seems like the OS does not know what I have on my machine and
    > > what
    > > has been installed.
    > >
    > > 816093: Security Update Microsoft Virtual Machine (Microsoft VM)
    > > This update helps resolve a vulnerability in the Microsoft virtual
    > > machine.
    > >
    > > This setup will only upgrade over an existing version of the Microsoft VM.

    You're welcome.

    > Worked!! Thanks so much!!
    >
    > "Matija Hrovat" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi Bald,
    >>
    >> try the following:
    >>

    >> Start / Run: services.msc
    >>

    >> Double click Automatic Updates service and click STOP
    >>
    >> Change the startup type to Manual
    >>

    >> Open Windows Explorer
    >>
    >> Browse to %SystemRoot%\SoftwareDistribution (where %SystemRoot% is
    >> usually
    >> c:\windows)
    >>
    >> Copy Folders Download and DataStore to another location
    >>
    >> Open Download folder and delete the content
    >>
    >> Open DataStore and delete the content
    >>

    >> Start / Run: services.msc
    >>

    >> Change the startup type to Automatic
    >>
    >> Double click Automatic Updates service and click START
    >>

    >> Download the update again, restart your computer and check if the problem
    >> still exists.
    >>

    >> Let us know.
    >>

    >> --

    >> For direct e-mailing remove "-spam" from my e-mail address
    >> --
    >> Best Regards,
    >> Matija Hrovat
    >>
    >> "Bald Eagle" <BaldEagle@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Problem:
    >> > Security update for Microsoft VM installs, complains that update is for
    >> > an
    >> > existing version of VM and installs again the next day. I don't have VM
    >> > on
    >> > my
    >> > machine. Seems like the OS does not know what I have on my machine and
    >> > what
    >> > has been installed.
    >> >
    >> > 816093: Security Update Microsoft Virtual Machine (Microsoft VM)
    >> > This update helps resolve a vulnerability in the Microsoft virtual
    >> > machine.
    >> >
    >> > This setup will only upgrade over an existing version of the Microsoft
    >> > VM.

    Hi Matija

    I have the same problem but your suggestion didn't work for me. The only
    difference I can see is I do not have SystemRoot folder. SoftwareDistribution
    is found in C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution. I keep getting this VM update
    everyday no matter how many times I install! I did have it hidden but
    foolishly chose restore hidden updates. I can't now see any option for hiding
    this update again. Can you help Pleeease.

    Regards Garry

    "Matija Hrovat" wrote:

    > Hi Bald,
    >
    > try the following:
    >

    > Start / Run: services.msc
    >

    > Double click Automatic Updates service and click STOP
    >
    > Change the startup type to Manual
    >

    > Open Windows Explorer
    >
    > Browse to %SystemRoot%\SoftwareDistribution (where %SystemRoot% is usually
    > c:\windows)
    >
    > Copy Folders Download and DataStore to another location
    >
    > Open Download folder and delete the content
    >
    > Open DataStore and delete the content
    >

    > Start / Run: services.msc
    >

    > Change the startup type to Automatic
    >
    > Double click Automatic Updates service and click START
    >

    > Download the update again, restart your computer and check if the problem
    > still exists.
    >

    > Let us know.

    > For direct e-mailing remove "-spam" from my e-mail address
    > --
    > Best Regards,
    > Matija Hrovat
    >
    > "Bald Eagle" <BaldEagle@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Problem:
    > > Security update for Microsoft VM installs, complains that update is for an
    > > existing version of VM and installs again the next day. I don't have VM on
    > > my
    > > machine. Seems like the OS does not know what I have on my machine and
    > > what
    > > has been installed.
    > >
    > > 816093: Security Update Microsoft Virtual Machine (Microsoft VM)
    > > This update helps resolve a vulnerability in the Microsoft virtual
    > > machine.
    > >
    > > This setup will only upgrade over an existing version of the Microsoft VM.

    Garry,

    I have started a new thread (look for "Not applicable Update shows up" on
    7-13-05) on this and maybe someone will have a solution. The problem
    re-appeared for me. Maybe you can add your comments to that thread.

    Regards.

    "Garry Vistarini" wrote:

    > Hi Matija
    >
    > I have the same problem but your suggestion didn't work for me. The only
    > difference I can see is I do not have SystemRoot folder. SoftwareDistribution
    > is found in C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution. I keep getting this VM update
    > everyday no matter how many times I install! I did have it hidden but
    > foolishly chose restore hidden updates. I can't now see any option for hiding
    > this update again. Can you help Pleeease.
    >
    > Regards Garry
    >
    > "Matija Hrovat" wrote:
    >
    > > Hi Bald,
    > >
    > > try the following:
    > >

    > > Start / Run: services.msc
    > >

    > > Double click Automatic Updates service and click STOP
    > >
    > > Change the startup type to Manual
    > >

    > > Open Windows Explorer
    > >
    > > Browse to %SystemRoot%\SoftwareDistribution (where %SystemRoot% is usually
    > > c:\windows)
    > >
    > > Copy Folders Download and DataStore to another location
    > >
    > > Open Download folder and delete the content
    > >
    > > Open DataStore and delete the content
    > >

    > > Start / Run: services.msc
    > >

    > > Change the startup type to Automatic
    > >
    > > Double click Automatic Updates service and click START
    > >

    > > Download the update again, restart your computer and check if the problem
    > > still exists.
    > >

    > > Let us know.
    > >

    > > --

    > > For direct e-mailing remove "-spam" from my e-mail address
    > > --
    > > Best Regards,
    > > Matija Hrovat
    > >
    > > "Bald Eagle" <BaldEagle@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > Problem:
    > > > Security update for Microsoft VM installs, complains that update is for an
    > > > existing version of VM and installs again the next day. I don't have VM on
    > > > my
    > > > machine. Seems like the OS does not know what I have on my machine and
    > > > what
    > > > has been installed.
    > > >
    > > > 816093: Security Update Microsoft Virtual Machine (Microsoft VM)
    > > > This update helps resolve a vulnerability in the Microsoft virtual
    > > > machine.
    > > >
    > > > This setup will only upgrade over an existing version of the Microsoft VM.

    Hi,
    About hidding and restoring updates;
    Go to Windows Updates / Choose custom
    Uncheck the update in question
    Expand it
    Check Don't show this update again
    Click Review and Install

    In rare cases you cannot hid an update:

    +++++++++++++++++++++++++
    I can't hide an update?
    If your computer is part of a network, a network administrator has
    determined that the update must be installed for security maintenance. The
    update will be installed on the schedule that the network administrator
    sets. In rare cases, Microsoft will issue an update deemed critical to how
    the Windows Update Web site or Automatic Updates functions. These updates
    cannot be hidden, so you will always be notified that they are available to
    be downloaded or installed so you can continue using Automatic Updates.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++
    But I don't think that this applies in your case.

    About SystemRoot - that means your windows directory - c:\windows

    With that said................

    What message do you get when you open cmd and type:
    jview

    If you get a message:
    'jview' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
    operable program or batch file.

    Look in %systemroot%\system32 folder for the following files:

    Javart.dll
    Jview.exe
    Msjava.dll

    Rename each file (e.g. javart.old) and reboot your computer.
    Try checking windows updates again.

    If you get a message with java version check your version.
    If it's lower then 5.00.3810 try downloading the update manually from the
    following site:

    http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/catalog

    Choose: Find updates for Microsoft Windows operating systems
    Choose: Windows Xp Sp1 (btw: whic service pack do you have installed
    ?)
    Choose: Critical Updates and Service Packs
    Find the update: 816093: Security Update Microsoft Virtual Machine
    (Microsoft VM)
    Click Add
    Click Go to Download Basket
    Specify the download location (e.g. Desktop)
    Download and run the update

    What error do you get, if any?

    Post back what worked and what didn't and if the problem still persists
    check your Windows Update log for errors:
    %systemroot%\Windows Update.log

    -----------------------
    Related Articles:
    -----------------------
    - Automatic Updates: Frequently Asked Questions
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsserver2003/library/ServerHelp/797e56e1-a611-4f36-8bfe-99f8e6af26cf.mspx
    or
    http://tinyurl.com/d9y5x

    - Microsoft Java Virtual Machine Support
    http://www.microsoft.com/java/

    - How to download Windows updates and drivers from the Windows Update
    Catalog
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=323166

    "Garry Vistarini" <Garry Vistarini@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message news:4DA6177F-901D-469A-B841-772F5AC1FEE1@microsoft.com...
    > Hi Matija
    >
    > I have the same problem but your suggestion didn't work for me. The only
    > difference I can see is I do not have SystemRoot folder.
    > SoftwareDistribution
    > is found in C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution. I keep getting this VM update
    > everyday no matter how many times I install! I did have it hidden but
    > foolishly chose restore hidden updates. I can't now see any option for
    > hiding
    > this update again. Can you help Pleeease.
    >
    > Regards Garry
    >
    > "Matija Hrovat" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi Bald,
    >>
    >> try the following:
    >>

    >> Start / Run: services.msc
    >>

    >> Double click Automatic Updates service and click STOP
    >>
    >> Change the startup type to Manual
    >>

    >> Open Windows Explorer
    >>
    >> Browse to %SystemRoot%\SoftwareDistribution (where %SystemRoot% is
    >> usually
    >> c:\windows)
    >>
    >> Copy Folders Download and DataStore to another location
    >>
    >> Open Download folder and delete the content
    >>
    >> Open DataStore and delete the content
    >>

    >> Start / Run: services.msc
    >>

    >> Change the startup type to Automatic
    >>
    >> Double click Automatic Updates service and click START
    >>

    >> Download the update again, restart your computer and check if the problem
    >> still exists.
    >>

    >> Let us know.
    >>

    >> --

    >> For direct e-mailing remove "-spam" from my e-mail address
    >> --
    >> Best Regards,
    >> Matija Hrovat
    >>
    >> "Bald Eagle" <BaldEagle@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Problem:
    >> > Security update for Microsoft VM installs, complains that update is for
    >> > an
    >> > existing version of VM and installs again the next day. I don't have VM
    >> > on
    >> > my
    >> > machine. Seems like the OS does not know what I have on my machine and
    >> > what
    >> > has been installed.
    >> >
    >> > 816093: Security Update Microsoft Virtual Machine (Microsoft VM)
    >> > This update helps resolve a vulnerability in the Microsoft virtual
    >> > machine.
    >> >
    >> > This setup will only upgrade over an existing version of the Microsoft
    >> > VM.

    Matija

    I was able to hide the update. Windows update now doesn't keep reminding me
    I have a new update to install. I can live with that.

    Thanks,

    Garry.

    "Matija Hrovat" wrote:

> [...]
    > >>
    > >> try the following:
    > >>

    > >> Start / Run: services.msc
    > >>

    > >> Double click Automatic Updates service and click STOP
    > >>
    > >> Change the startup type to Manual
    > >>

    > >> Open Windows Explorer
    > >>
    > >> Browse to %SystemRoot%\SoftwareDistribution (where %SystemRoot% is
    > >> usually
    > >> c:\windows)
    > >>
    > >> Copy Folders Download and DataStore to another location
    > >>
    > >> Open Download folder and delete the content
    > >>
    > >> Open DataStore and delete the content
    > >>

    > >> Start / Run: services.msc
    > >>

    > >> Change the startup type to Automatic
    > >>
    > >> Double click Automatic Updates service and click START
    > >>

    > >> Download the update again, restart your computer and check if the problem
    > >> still exists.
    > >>

    > >> Let us know.
    > >>

    > >> --

    > >> For direct e-mailing remove "-spam" from my e-mail address

    ok :)

    "Garry Vistarini" <GarryVistarini@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message news:DF6BAEA9-560A-4160-B794-6E9B7340DBB8@microsoft.com...
> [...]
    >> For direct e-mailing remove "-spam" from my e-mail address
    >> --
    >> Best Regards,
    >> Matija Hrovat
    >>

    >> "Garry Vistarini" <Garry Vistarini@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    >> message news:4DA6177F-901D-469A-B841-772F5AC1FEE1@microsoft.com...
    >> > Hi Matija
    >> >
    >> > I have the same problem but your suggestion didn't work for me. The
    >> > only
    >> > difference I can see is I do not have SystemRoot folder.
    >> > SoftwareDistribution
    >> > is found in C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution. I keep getting this VM
    >> > update
    >> > everyday no matter how many times I install! I did have it hidden but
    >> > foolishly chose restore hidden updates. I can't now see any option for
    >> > hiding
    >> > this update again. Can you help Pleeease.

Virtual Machine Security Microsoft Windows XP