Doom3 too high benchmark w/o'clocked 9800 Pro?

I've got the following system specs:

9800 Pro @ 417/380
Mobile Barton @ 2600Mhz (200Mhz FSB)
dual channel PC3200 @ 3-3-3-11

I'm getting a consistent 44.0 FPS in Doom3 @ 1024x768 w/4xAA 8xAF
w/high-quality. The thing is, this doesn't jive w/the benchmarks I see here:
http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20041004/vga_charts-07.html

My benchmarks seem far too high (even for an o'clocked 9800 Pro) to be
reasonable. I'm using timedemo demo1, which looks like the same benchmark
Tom's Hardware is using.

--
Remove nospam to email
10 answers Last reply

    > 9800 Pro @ 417/380
    > Mobile Barton @ 2600Mhz (200Mhz FSB)
    > dual channel PC3200 @ 3-3-3-11
    >
    > I'm getting a consistent 44.0 FPS in Doom3 @ 1024x768 w/4xAA 8xAF
    > w/high-quality. The thing is, this doesn't jive w/the benchmarks I see
    here:
    > http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20041004/vga_charts-07.html
    >
    > My benchmarks seem far too high (even for an o'clocked 9800 Pro) to be
    > reasonable. I'm using timedemo demo1, which looks like the same benchmark
    > Tom's Hardware is using.

    LOL, you're the first one complaining about a too fast rig. ;-)
    But seriously, it seems that your AA settings are not recogniced. Is AA
    working in other titles? Your benchmark fits perfectly to Tom's without AA.
    I remember fiddling around with graphics settings in D3 and I found AA to be
    pretty useless. The game is too dark and too fast to even see a difference.
    So playing in a higher resolution (if your computer can do it) gives you
    probably a better visual quality.

    Cheers,
    Chris

    sounds like AA or possibly AF settings are not being applied.

    "Doug" <pigdos@nospamcharter.net> wrote in message
    > I've got the following system specs:
    >
    > 9800 Pro @ 417/380
    > Mobile Barton @ 2600Mhz (200Mhz FSB)
    > dual channel PC3200 @ 3-3-3-11
    >
    > I'm getting a consistent 44.0 FPS in Doom3 @ 1024x768 w/4xAA 8xAF
    > w/high-quality. The thing is, this doesn't jive w/the benchmarks I see
    > here: http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20041004/vga_charts-07.html
    >
    > My benchmarks seem far too high (even for an o'clocked 9800 Pro) to be
    > reasonable. I'm using timedemo demo1, which looks like the same benchmark
    > Tom's Hardware is using.
    >
    > --
    > Remove nospam to email

    That's what I was thinking as well, but when I looked up the cvars for
    anisotropy (image_anisotropy) and AA (r_multiSamples) they
    said "8" and "4" respectively. My 9800 Pro is overclocked well above even
    9800 XT levels.

    --
    Remove nospam to email
    "Tony DiMarzio" <djtone81@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > sounds like AA or possibly AF settings are not being applied.
    >

    > "Doug" <pigdos@nospamcharter.net> wrote in message
    >> I've got the following system specs:
    >>
    >> 9800 Pro @ 417/380
    >> Mobile Barton @ 2600Mhz (200Mhz FSB)
    >> dual channel PC3200 @ 3-3-3-11
    >>
    >> I'm getting a consistent 44.0 FPS in Doom3 @ 1024x768 w/4xAA 8xAF
    >> w/high-quality. The thing is, this doesn't jive w/the benchmarks I see
    >> here:
    >> http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20041004/vga_charts-07.html
    >>
    >> My benchmarks seem far too high (even for an o'clocked 9800 Pro) to be
    >> reasonable. I'm using timedemo demo1, which looks like the same benchmark
    >> Tom's Hardware is using.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Remove nospam to email

    Are the AA and AF settings applied from the driver control panel or from
    within the game?

    "Doug" <pigdos@nospamcharter.net> wrote in message
    > I've got the following system specs:
    >
    > 9800 Pro @ 417/380
    > Mobile Barton @ 2600Mhz (200Mhz FSB)
    > dual channel PC3200 @ 3-3-3-11
    >
    > I'm getting a consistent 44.0 FPS in Doom3 @ 1024x768 w/4xAA 8xAF
    > w/high-quality. The thing is, this doesn't jive w/the benchmarks I see
    here:
    > http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20041004/vga_charts-07.html
    >
    > My benchmarks seem far too high (even for an o'clocked 9800 Pro) to be
    > reasonable. I'm using timedemo demo1, which looks like the same benchmark
    > Tom's Hardware is using.
    >
    > --
    > Remove nospam to email

    I verified 4xAA and 8xAF by looking at the cvars which control these
    settings in the game, so no, they're not set in the ATI control panel. I
    verified the resolution was 1024x768 by looking at my monitor controls. I
    just re-verified and ran the benchmark again: 44.3FPS @ 1024x768, 4xAA,
    8xAF. The only setting I had to change was the AA, which I did by bringing
    down the console and typing r_multiSamples "4". The control panel of the
    game indicated 4xAA as well.

    --
    Remove nospam to email
    > Are the AA and AF settings applied from the driver control panel or from
    > within the game?

    > "Doug" <pigdos@nospamcharter.net> wrote in message
    >> I've got the following system specs:
    >>
    >> 9800 Pro @ 417/380
    >> Mobile Barton @ 2600Mhz (200Mhz FSB)
    >> dual channel PC3200 @ 3-3-3-11
    >>
    >> I'm getting a consistent 44.0 FPS in Doom3 @ 1024x768 w/4xAA 8xAF
    >> w/high-quality. The thing is, this doesn't jive w/the benchmarks I see
    > here:
    >> http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20041004/vga_charts-07.html
    >>
    >> My benchmarks seem far too high (even for an o'clocked 9800 Pro) to be
    >> reasonable. I'm using timedemo demo1, which looks like the same benchmark
    >> Tom's Hardware is using.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Remove nospam to email

    I can definitely notice the lack of AA. Try looking at any of the railings
    in the game w/o AA, it's really noticeable.

    --
    Remove nospam to email
    "Christian Atteneder" <christian.atteneder@aon.at> wrote in message
    >> 9800 Pro @ 417/380
    >> Mobile Barton @ 2600Mhz (200Mhz FSB)
    >> dual channel PC3200 @ 3-3-3-11
    >>
    >> I'm getting a consistent 44.0 FPS in Doom3 @ 1024x768 w/4xAA 8xAF
    >> w/high-quality. The thing is, this doesn't jive w/the benchmarks I see
    > here:
    >> http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20041004/vga_charts-07.html
    >>
    >> My benchmarks seem far too high (even for an o'clocked 9800 Pro) to be
    >> reasonable. I'm using timedemo demo1, which looks like the same benchmark
    >> Tom's Hardware is using.
    >>

    > LOL, you're the first one complaining about a too fast rig. ;-)
    > But seriously, it seems that your AA settings are not recogniced. Is AA
    > working in other titles? Your benchmark fits perfectly to Tom's without
    > AA.
    > I remember fiddling around with graphics settings in D3 and I found AA to
    > be
    > pretty useless. The game is too dark and too fast to even see a
    > difference.
    > So playing in a higher resolution (if your computer can do it) gives you
    > probably a better visual quality.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Chris

    I don't know where Tom's get's his numbers .. is it the average FPS .. the
    Max/Min ... ???

    "Doug" <pigdos@nospamcharter.net> wrote in message
    > I've got the following system specs:
    >
    > 9800 Pro @ 417/380
    > Mobile Barton @ 2600Mhz (200Mhz FSB)
    > dual channel PC3200 @ 3-3-3-11
    >
    > I'm getting a consistent 44.0 FPS in Doom3 @ 1024x768 w/4xAA 8xAF
    > w/high-quality. The thing is, this doesn't jive w/the benchmarks I see
    > here: http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20041004/vga_charts-07.html
    >
    > My benchmarks seem far too high (even for an o'clocked 9800 Pro) to be
    > reasonable. I'm using timedemo demo1, which looks like the same benchmark
    > Tom's Hardware is using.
    >
    > --
    > Remove nospam to email

    > That's what I was thinking as well, but when I looked up the cvars for
    > anisotropy (image_anisotropy) and AA (r_multiSamples) they
    > said "8" and "4" respectively. My 9800 Pro is overclocked well above even
    > 9800 XT levels.

    You ever tried any of the other benchmarks listed on Tom's page? Just to
    verify your score.

    You're right Tom's Hardware doesn't really state how they get their
    benchmarks. This might explain why my Doom3 benchmarks seem so high. I
    wonder if they just report the lowest benchmark they get?

    --
    Remove nospam to email

    On Sun, 3 Apr 2005 22:17:48 -0700, "Doug" <pigdos@nospamcharter.net>
    wrote:

    >I've got the following system specs:
    >
    >9800 Pro @ 417/380
    >Mobile Barton @ 2600Mhz (200Mhz FSB)
    >dual channel PC3200 @ 3-3-3-11
    >
    >I'm getting a consistent 44.0 FPS in Doom3 @ 1024x768 w/4xAA 8xAF
    >w/high-quality. The thing is, this doesn't jive w/the benchmarks I see here:
    >http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20041004/vga_charts-07.html
    >
    >My benchmarks seem far too high (even for an o'clocked 9800 Pro) to be
    >reasonable. I'm using timedemo demo1, which looks like the same benchmark
    >Tom's Hardware is using.

    What are you using for the benchmark. I've try fraps to check the fps
    and find out that in the config file of doom3 there is this line who
    looks like this show_fps: 0 the zero stand for no fps and the 1
    should be when it turn on.

    So by that i've been able to see that there were a difference of 5 to
    10 in some place.

    so you should check that .

Radeon Benchmark Graphics