Setting up an existing Domain user's computer

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

Hello,

Just wondering, is their anyway that anyone knows of to setup a computer
for an existing user on the domain without knowing their password? I know I
can just ask the user, but I hate doing so because it seems so
unprofessional, the user may not always be around. and I would think windows
would have some solution. Obviously I can make system-wide changes under
the admin account, but thinks like setting up outlook can only be done as
the locally logged on user. Any suggestions? How do other admins manage
their systems?

Eric Dropps wrote:
> Just wondering, is their anyway that anyone knows of to setup a
> computer for an existing user on the domain without knowing their
> password? I know I can just ask the user, but I hate doing so
> because it seems so unprofessional, the user may not always be
> around. and I would think windows would have some solution. Obviously I
> can make system-wide changes under the admin account, but
> thinks like setting up outlook can only be done as the locally logged
> on user. Any suggestions? How do other admins manage their systems?

Logon Scripts.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

How do you say...configure outlook via a command line though?

We already implement scripts for other things, like shared drives, time
sync, etc
We also use group policy for some software install.

Eric Dropps wrote:

> How do you say...configure outlook via a command line though?
Hi,

Some tools/tips at this web site:

http://www.slipstick.com/exs/olroam.htm

Some tips/links here also:

http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?selm=%23GZYRhC3DHA.540%40tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl

Might also look into the Office Resource Kit and configuring Outlook
profiles with an Outlook Profile File (PRF file):

Whitepaper: Configuring Outlook Profiles by Using a PRF File
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/HA011403051033.aspx

Customizing Profiles with an Outlook Profile File
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/HA011364251033.aspx

Updating Outlook Profiles by Using PRF Files
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/HA011402841033.aspx

the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

"Eric Dropps" <edropps@matsinc.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> Just wondering, is their anyway that anyone knows of to setup a
> computer for an existing user on the domain without knowing their
> password? I know I can just ask the user, but I hate doing so because it
> seems so unprofessional, the user may not always be around. and I would
> think windows would have some solution. Obviously I can make system-wide
> changes under the admin account, but thinks like setting up outlook can
> only be done as the locally logged on user. Any suggestions? How do
> other admins manage their systems?

These might also be of help:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/HA011362881033.aspx (Office
Profile Wizard)