Wireless card to Monitor mode

Last response: in Wireless Networking
Share
July 1, 2004 10:49:24 AM

i was wondering how to set my wireless card to 'Monitor'
mode so that it can scan for all surrounding networks.

Now what I've noticed is that since i'm in promiscuous
mode, i'm only able to sniff packets after I have first
connected to my wirekss AP.

thanks in advance,
jo
July 1, 2004 4:20:46 PM

As far as I know, you can only set specific wireless
cards in monitor mode.
The Orinoco Gold card "moitors" fine under windowsXP with
a new driver. I'm using a software program specifically
designed to monitor wireless networks. During a scan it
is impossible to connect to any AP, the driver has set
the card in monitor mode and is not allowed to transmit.
Hope this helps a little.