Wireless card to Monitor mode

i was wondering how to set my wireless card to 'Monitor'
mode so that it can scan for all surrounding networks.

Now what I've noticed is that since i'm in promiscuous
mode, i'm only able to sniff packets after I have first
connected to my wirekss AP.

thanks in advance,
jo
1 answer Last reply
More about wireless card monitor mode

    As far as I know, you can only set specific wireless
    cards in monitor mode.
    The Orinoco Gold card "moitors" fine under windowsXP with
    a new driver. I'm using a software program specifically
    designed to monitor wireless networks. During a scan it
    is impossible to connect to any AP, the driver has set
    the card in monitor mode and is not allowed to transmit.
    Hope this helps a little.

Wireless Networking Monitors Microsoft Wireless Networking