Safe mode-adminstrator

I set up XP Pro with myself (Tom) as the administrator with 2 limited user
accounts. I boot to the welcome screen where the 3 accounts are shown. I can
enter my password and use my account as the administrator.

However, when I boot in safe mode there are now 2 password protected
accounts. "Tom" which works with my password and "administrator" which
appears locked as it will not take my password.

I set my computer up myself. I have always been the password protected
administrator. No one should have access to my account without my password,
right? Where did this additional "administator" account come from? Without
the password how can I delete it so that I am the sole administrator?
--
Tom
10 answers Last reply

    Tom wrote:
    > I set up XP Pro with myself (Tom) as the administrator with 2 limited
    > user accounts. I boot to the welcome screen where the 3 accounts are
    > shown. I can enter my password and use my account as the
    > administrator.
    >
    > However, when I boot in safe mode there are now 2 password protected
    > accounts. "Tom" which works with my password and "administrator" which
    > appears locked as it will not take my password.
    >
    > I set my computer up myself. I have always been the password protected
    > administrator. No one should have access to my account without my
    > password, right? Where did this additional "administator" account
    > come from? Without the password how can I delete it so that I am the
    > sole administrator?

    >how can I delete it so that I am the sole administrator?
    You can't.
    The admin account you are talking about is part of the operating system and
    is their for emergency access to your system.The pass word it is looking for
    should have been setup at the time your Pro version was installed.
    Have you tried not entering a password? If your system came pre-installed on
    your computer the password might be blank.

    --
    Mike Pawlak

    "MAP" wrote:

    > >how can I delete it so that I am the sole administrator?
    > You can't.
    > The admin account you are talking about is part of the operating system and
    > is their for emergency access to your system.The pass word it is looking for
    > should have been setup at the time your Pro version was installed.
    > Have you tried not entering a password? If your system came pre-installed on
    > your computer the password might be blank.
    >
    > --
    > Mike Pawlak

    Yes, XP was preloaded on my Dell. When I first started it I went through the
    set up and accounts first thing. The password is not blank.

    So you are saying that in safe mode there are always 2 accounts?
    "Administrator" and myself as another administrator? I've always thought the
    only accounts were the ones I created that I see on the welcome screen.

    Thanks, Tom

    In news:0C614AE2-C65A-476F-85FE-2659285B64D2@microsoft.com,
    Tom <Tom@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
    > "MAP" wrote:
    >
    >>> how can I delete it so that I am the sole administrator?
    >> You can't.
    >> The admin account you are talking about is part of the operating
    >> system and is their for emergency access to your system.The pass
    >> word it is looking for should have been setup at the time your Pro
    >> version was installed.
    >> Have you tried not entering a password? If your system came
    >> pre-installed on your computer the password might be blank.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Mike Pawlak
    >>
    > Yes, XP was preloaded on my Dell. When I first started it I went
    > through the set up and accounts first thing. The password is not
    > blank.
    >
    > So you are saying that in safe mode there are always 2 accounts?
    > "Administrator" and myself as another administrator? I've always
    > thought the only accounts were the ones I created that I see on the
    > welcome screen.
    >
    > Thanks, Tom

    The Administrator account has always been there. You just don't see it when
    you're not in safe mode (although you could change this). You set up the
    account when you set up the computer....or someone else did.

    Lanwench [MVP - Exchange] wrote:

    > In news:0C614AE2-C65A-476F-85FE-2659285B64D2@microsoft.com,
    > Tom <Tom@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

    >>> You can't.
    >>> The admin account you are talking about is part of the operating
    >>> system and is their for emergency access to your system.The pass
    >>> word it is looking for should have been setup at the time your Pro
    >>> version was installed.
    >>> Have you tried not entering a password? If your system came
    >>> pre-installed on your computer the password might be blank.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Mike Pawlak
    >>>
    >> Yes, XP was preloaded on my Dell. When I first started it I went
    >> through the set up and accounts first thing. The password is not
    >> blank.
    >>
    >> So you are saying that in safe mode there are always 2 accounts?
    >> "Administrator" and myself as another administrator? I've always
    >> thought the only accounts were the ones I created that I see on the
    >> welcome screen.
    >>
    >> Thanks, Tom
    >
    > The Administrator account has always been there. You just don't see it
    > when you're not in safe mode (although you could change this). You set
    > up the account when you set up the computer....or someone else did.

    And just to add to the very good advice you've already gotten - leave
    the built-in Administrator account alone. It is a failsafe account. The
    default password on a Windows XP Home Edition machine is blank and
    that's why it wouldn't take your own password. You can of course change
    the Administrator account's password but if you do so, make it
    something you will remember.

    Don't worry about the Administrator account. It is supposed to be there.
    It needs to be there. Don't mess with it. Some day you will be glad it
    is there.

    Malke
    --
    MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
    Elephant Boy Computers

    > > The Administrator account has always been there. You just don't see it
    > > when you're not in safe mode (although you could change this). You set
    > > up the account when you set up the computer....or someone else did.
    >
    > And just to add to the very good advice you've already gotten - leave
    > the built-in Administrator account alone. It is a failsafe account. The
    > default password on a Windows XP Home Edition machine is blank and
    > that's why it wouldn't take your own password. You can of course change
    > the Administrator account's password but if you do so, make it
    > something you will remember.
    >
    > Don't worry about the Administrator account. It is supposed to be there.
    > It needs to be there. Don't mess with it. Some day you will be glad it
    > is there.
    >
    > Malke
    > --
    > MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
    > Elephant Boy Computers
    > www.elephantboycomputers.com
    > "Don't Panic"

    The password is not blank, so I do not have access to this second
    adaminstrator account. Other employees use my computer which is why I set up
    the limited user accounts, but I do not want to leave my computer open to the
    administrator level.

    I didn't know about this safe mode adminstrator account until recently,
    actually learning about it here on this forum. Lacking the password how do I
    regain control of the safe mode adminstrator account?

    Thanks, Tom

    Tom wrote:

    > The password is not blank, so I do not have access to this second
    > adaminstrator account. Other employees use my computer which is why I
    > set up the limited user accounts, but I do not want to leave my
    > computer open to the administrator level.
    >
    > I didn't know about this safe mode adminstrator account until
    > recently, actually learning about it here on this forum. Lacking the
    > password how do I regain control of the safe mode adminstrator
    > account?

    Use NTpasswd and change the Administrator account to a blank.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com
    "Don't Panic!"
    MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

    Perhaps another employee has already accessed the default Admin account and
    installed their own password, blocking you out of it?
    Just a thought.

    --
    Mike Pawlak

    --
    Mike Pawlak

    In news:92D5099B-51F2-49BE-956A-9A6FA0C1AFFF@microsoft.com,
    Tom <Tom@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
    <snip>

    > The password is not blank, so I do not have access to this second
    > adaminstrator account. Other employees use my computer which is why I
    > set up the limited user accounts, but I do not want to leave my
    > computer open to the administrator level.
    >
    > I didn't know about this safe mode adminstrator account until
    > recently, actually learning about it here on this forum. Lacking the
    > password how do I regain control of the safe mode adminstrator
    > account?
    >
    > Thanks, Tom

    If your own account has administrator privileges, you can log in as yourself
    and change it. Control panel, computer management, local users &
    groups....right-click/reset password. This doesn't work in Home - just Pro.

    "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]" wrote:

    > If your own account has administrator privileges, you can log in as yourself
    > and change it. Control panel, computer management, local users &
    > groups....right-click/reset password. This doesn't work in Home - just Pro.

    Thank you. That was easy and just what I wanted. Tom
  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    In news:8A5AFCAF-139E-4DD4-9D5C-D39A8D69F60D@microsoft.com,
    Tom <Tom@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
    > "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]" wrote:
    >>
    >> If your own account has administrator privileges, you can log in as
    >> yourself and change it. Control panel, computer management, local
    >> users & groups....right-click/reset password. This doesn't work in
    >> Home - just Pro.
    >>

    > Thank you. That was easy and just what I wanted. Tom

    You're welcome!

Safe Mode Windows XP