System restore question

a b 8 Security
July 6, 2005 2:14:53 AM

If someone downloads and runs a trojan and then uses system restore to back
to a system restore point prior to running the virus, is that computer still
infected?

--
Nocturnal

http://www.spywaretalk.org
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
July 6, 2005 10:57:11 AM

Nocturnal wrote:
> If someone downloads and runs a trojan and then uses system restore
> to back to a system restore point prior to running the virus, is that
> computer still infected?

Likely - unless the virus specifically chnaged a system file then deleted
itself.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Hello Shenan Stanley,

> Nocturnal wrote:
>> If someone downloads and runs a trojan and then uses system restore
>> to back to a system restore point prior to running the virus, is that
>> computer still infected?

> Likely - unless the virus specifically chnaged a system file then deleted
> itself.

> --
> Shenan Stanley
> MS-MVP"

Adding my 2cents: My experiance tells that the restoring capabillity depends
also on how many times the computer has been restarted. This as there are
allways automatic updates done of the registry. Is that the fact with
restorepoints in win2k and winxp?

--
have a nice day,
begin@nogotoifelseanymore.end