Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

I registered Steam but no offline gaming allowed

Tags:
  • Connection
  • Steam
  • Video Games
Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
February 7, 2005 4:35:44 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

I already had a Steam account which I installed when I tried the
HL2 demo.
Impressed by the demo, I have bougth and installed my copy of
HL2.
Then I had to register HL2, I did it with success and then I
printed a text document stating that my HL2 game was tied to that
particular Steam account, and that I must be logged to that
account to play HL2.
Well, the first time I had to connect to internet and connect to
my Steam profile, and it all went fine.
Now, if I turn on my PC and try to log to my steam account
offline, Steam says "no data about a steam account are present on
this computer, check steam site ... etc etc".
The option "do not register steam profiles on this computer" is
not checked, so why is it saying that there are no account
informations on the pC?
If I connect to the internet and then launch Steam, I always have
to re-enter account name and password, no matter if I check "save
password".
Why this? Why do I always need to connect to the internet to play
offline?

How can I fix this situation?
Neeldess to say I have an original copy of the game.
--
Vilco
Think Pink , Drink Rose'

More about : registered steam offline gaming allowed

Anonymous
February 7, 2005 4:35:45 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

Vilco wrote:

> If I connect to the internet and then launch Steam, I always have
> to re-enter account name and password, no matter if I check "save
> password".
> Why this? Why do I always need to connect to the internet to play
> offline?
>
> How can I fix this situation?
> Neeldess to say I have an original copy of the game.

IIRC you should not log out of Steam - just exit, or close the program
from the System Tray. That way you can start it offline without any
problem.

BTW, to play offline, you must make sure there are no open internet
connections, or block Steam with a firewall or similar. The "offline
mode" check box in the options is rubbish. If Steam can get onto the
internet when you start it, it will. But if there is no open
connection, it will offer you "offline mode" in a dialog box and that
works properly. Annoying, but that's Steam for you.
February 8, 2005 10:03:21 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

I found STEAM offline mode very elusive and vague.
The ambivalent nature of STEAM offline mode is a very weakness that make
people frustrated and dislike it, regardless of many other merits that
STEAM may offer to users.
There are no set rule that if you follow strictly will allow you offline
mode absolutely and indefintely..
There is no absolute offline mode.
The offline mode ticket will expire with time and sooner or later you have
to connect to make your games run.
That's the long-term permanent authentication aimed to eradicating piracy
and that's STEAM's purpose designed by Valve: No indefinte offline mode.

Chadwick wrote:

> Vilco wrote:
>
> > If I connect to the internet and then launch Steam, I always have
> > to re-enter account name and password, no matter if I check "save
> > password".
> > Why this? Why do I always need to connect to the internet to play
> > offline?
> >
> > How can I fix this situation?
> > Neeldess to say I have an original copy of the game.
>
> IIRC you should not log out of Steam - just exit, or close the program
> from the System Tray. That way you can start it offline without any
> problem.
>
> BTW, to play offline, you must make sure there are no open internet
> connections, or block Steam with a firewall or similar. The "offline
> mode" check box in the options is rubbish. If Steam can get onto the
> internet when you start it, it will. But if there is no open
> connection, it will offer you "offline mode" in a dialog box and that
> works properly. Annoying, but that's Steam for you.
Related resources
Anonymous
February 8, 2005 10:03:22 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

Daniel wrote:
> I found STEAM offline mode very elusive and vague.
> The ambivalent nature of STEAM offline mode is a very weakness that make
> people frustrated and dislike it, regardless of many other merits that
> STEAM may offer to users.
> There are no set rule that if you follow strictly will allow you offline
> mode absolutely and indefintely..
> There is no absolute offline mode.
> The offline mode ticket will expire with time and sooner or later you have
> to connect to make your games run.
> That's the long-term permanent authentication aimed to eradicating piracy
> and that's STEAM's purpose designed by Valve: No indefinte offline mode.
>

I'll agree with you on this point: Steam NEEDS some kind of automatic
offline mode. If the user doesn't want to connect Steam to the network,
Steam should have the option to default to offline mode if the user so
chooses. This also ensures that any Steam network failure doesn't cause
offline mode to become unavailable by accident.
Anonymous
February 8, 2005 12:49:20 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

Chadwick wrote:

>> How can I fix this situation?
>> Neeldess to say I have an original copy of the game.

> BTW, to play offline, you must make sure there are no
> open internet connections, or block Steam with a firewall
> or similar. The "offline mode" check box in the options
> is rubbish. If Steam can get onto the internet when you
> start it, it will. But if there is no open connection, it
> will offer you "offline mode" in a dialog box and that
> works properly. Annoying, but that's Steam for you.

I connect to the internet via a ethernet ADSL modem, so I tried
to unplug the ethernet cable from the NIC and boot up my PC, so
to have NO internet connection and NO possibility to get it, but
still no change, same result: steam says: "impossible to connect
to a steam account since no steam profile informations have been
saved on this computer".
I still have to connect to the internet to play.
Do I have to uninstall steam and retry, or do I have to uninstall
anything HL2 / Steam related?

Very nice protection system, Valve: I payd good money and I got
bad gaming. Result? I'm insulting myself for having bougth this
game instead of searching for pirated copies, sure that wouldn't
have forced me to connect to internet every damn time.
Very good job :( 
--
Vilco
Think Pink , Drink Rose'
Anonymous
February 8, 2005 12:55:21 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

Vilco wrote:

I forgot one thing: if I check the status of HL2 into Steam, it
says "percentage acquired: 100%".
--
Vilco
Think Pink , Drink Rose'
Anonymous
February 8, 2005 3:04:48 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

"Vilco" <a@b.c> wrote in message
news:AW%Nd.21675$lB4.588774@twister1.libero.it
> Chadwick wrote:
>
>>> How can I fix this situation?
>>> Neeldess to say I have an original copy of the game.
>
>> BTW, to play offline, you must make sure there are no
>> open internet connections, or block Steam with a firewall
>> or similar. The "offline mode" check box in the options
>> is rubbish. If Steam can get onto the internet when you
>> start it, it will. But if there is no open connection, it
>> will offer you "offline mode" in a dialog box and that
>> works properly. Annoying, but that's Steam for you.
>
> I connect to the internet via a ethernet ADSL modem, so I tried
> to unplug the ethernet cable from the NIC and boot up my PC, so
> to have NO internet connection and NO possibility to get it, but
> still no change, same result: steam says: "impossible to connect
> to a steam account since no steam profile informations have been
> saved on this computer".
> I still have to connect to the internet to play.
> Do I have to uninstall steam and retry, or do I have to uninstall
> anything HL2 / Steam related?
>
> Very nice protection system, Valve: I payd good money and I got
> bad gaming. Result? I'm insulting myself for having bougth this
> game instead of searching for pirated copies, sure that wouldn't
> have forced me to connect to internet every damn time.
> Very good job :( 

In Steam > Settings, is the box checked for "Don't save account
information on this computer" ? If that is checked Offline Mode is
disabled. Per note below that line in Settings.
McG.
Anonymous
February 8, 2005 4:49:14 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

Mi e' parso che McGrandpa abbia scritto:

> In Steam > Settings, is the box checked for "Don't save
> account information on this computer" ? If that is
> checked Offline Mode is disabled. Per note below that
> line in Settings.

Never checked it, thanks anyway.
--
Vilco
Think Pink , Drink Rose'
Anonymous
February 9, 2005 1:33:20 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

"GFree" <nickt4001@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
news:4207f147$1@yorrell.saard.net...
> Daniel wrote:

> > That's the long-term permanent authentication aimed to eradicating piracy
> > and that's STEAM's purpose designed by Valve: No indefinte offline mode.

> I'll agree with you on this point: Steam NEEDS some kind of automatic
> offline mode. If the user doesn't want to connect Steam to the network,
> Steam should have the option to default to offline mode if the user so
> chooses. This also ensures that any Steam network failure doesn't cause
> offline mode to become unavailable by accident.

According to Steam, the Jan 6 update added this feature:
"Pressing the cancel button while Steam is loading will bring up the
offline dialog"

However, as far as I can tell, it does not work. When I hit cancel,
Steam just quits.

At least they're thinking about it...
Anonymous
February 9, 2005 12:19:37 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

Mi e' parso che Vilco abbia scritto:

Solved : there were conflicts between steam from the demo and
steam from the HL2 DVD. I did uninstall the demo prior to
installing HL2, but something must have gone wrong.
Uninstalled all, cleaned the registry and reinstalled and
registered: now I can play also offline.
Thanks to anyone who helped.
--
Vilco
Think Pink , Drink Rose'
!