    -----Original Message-----
    From: hou [mailto:hou@discussions.microsoft.com]
    Posted At: Wednesday, July 06, 2005 1:38 PM
    Posted To: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin
    Conversation: Can't log on after joining workgroup
    Subject: Can't log on after joining workgroup

    Hi
    I have just changed from a domain to a workgroup and now I can not log
    on.

    I wanted to share a library on my stationary PC with my wireless
    connected
    laptop.

    After having established a new workgroup, confirming via my password and

    restarting the laptop, I can't use the password anymore...

    What happened and what do i do to get reconnected?

    hou wrote:
    > Hi
    > I have just changed from a domain to a workgroup and now I can not log on.
    >
    > I wanted to share a library on my stationary PC with my wireless connected
    > laptop.
    >
    > After having established a new workgroup, confirming via my password and
    > restarting the laptop, I can't use the password anymore...
    >
    > What happened and what do i do to get reconnected?

    By changing the computer from the domain to a workgroup, you have
    destroyed the trust between the domain and the machine. In doing so,
    you have also rendered any domain login credentials as invalid. You
    need to be physically connected to the domain network, you need to have
    administrative privileges to the workstation, and you need to have
    administrative privileges on the domain. Then you can add the machine
    back on to the domain, after having first deleted the computer's old
    domain account (unless you've also renamed the computer).

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    "hou" <hou@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi
    > I have just changed from a domain to a workgroup and now I can not log on.
    >
    > I wanted to share a library on my stationary PC with my wireless connected
    > laptop.
    >
    > After having established a new workgroup, confirming via my password and
    > restarting the laptop, I can't use the password anymore...
    >
    > What happened and what do i do to get reconnected?

    Your domain account is no longer valid on that machine because you removed
    it from the domain. You need to re-add it to the domain (this may require
    the assistance of your network administrator/IT department.)

    --
    Colin Nash
    Microsoft MVP

Laptops Security Microsoft Windows XP