AIW 8500DV PAL Nicam channels produce static sound

Hi there,

Nicam TV channels produce constant crackling
static sound even with good roof aerial (yet
reception is not as good as my actual TV set
running on the same aerial). Video is reasonably
fine and clear. No static through the soundcard on
non-nicam channels. So it's not the soundcard
causing this. I have turned down the line-in
input, to rule out distortion from overdriven
soundcard. Switching to mono does not fix this.
The TV tuner is unusable on Nican channels because
of this.

I tried diffferent TV tuner software (eg PowerVCR
II 3.0) and it's the same. So I guess I have a
problem with the ATI WDM Capture driver or the
physical Radeon 8500DV?

OS: Win98SE
Cats: 4.7
WDM: 6-14-10-6240, have tried an earlier version
MMC: 8.8.0.0, but have tried earlier versions

Cannot install 8.9.0.0 because of InstallShield
error 0x8002000B "Unhandled Exception:".

ATI tech support show that they don't properly
read the support requests, their stupid
suggestions proof it.

Is there a way to imrove reception on these
things? Mods? Shielding of some sort?

Any ideas? Many thanks in advance.

Regards,
grolschie
11 answers Last reply
More about 8500dv nicam channels produce static sound

    "grolschie" <grolschie@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi there,
    >
    > Nicam TV channels produce constant crackling
    > static sound even with good roof aerial (yet
    > reception is not as good as my actual TV set
    > running on the same aerial). Video is reasonably
    > fine and clear. No static through the soundcard on
    > non-nicam channels. So it's not the soundcard
    > causing this. I have turned down the line-in
    > input, to rule out distortion from overdriven
    > soundcard. Switching to mono does not fix this.
    > The TV tuner is unusable on Nican channels because
    > of this.
    >
    > I tried diffferent TV tuner software (eg PowerVCR
    > II 3.0) and it's the same. So I guess I have a
    > problem with the ATI WDM Capture driver or the
    > physical Radeon 8500DV?
    >
    > OS: Win98SE
    > Cats: 4.7
    > WDM: 6-14-10-6240, have tried an earlier version
    > MMC: 8.8.0.0, but have tried earlier versions
    >
    > Cannot install 8.9.0.0 because of InstallShield
    > error 0x8002000B "Unhandled Exception:".
    >
    > ATI tech support show that they don't properly
    > read the support requests, their stupid
    > suggestions proof it.
    >
    > Is there a way to imrove reception on these
    > things? Mods? Shielding of some sort?
    >
    > Any ideas? Many thanks in advance.
    >
    > Regards,
    > grolschie

    My Universal PAL/SECAM format 8500DV seems to handle NICAM sound without
    noticeable static here in the UK (it's PAL I here not PAL B/G as in New
    Zealand but that shouldn't make a difference). My operating system is Win
    XP Pro, I use an internal audio connection between the 8500DV and my
    soundcards AUX connector (with an old style CD Audio cable) and I use an
    aerial amplifier. It might be worth checking your audio cable (or trying an
    internal cable if you're currently using the external supplied cable on the
    purple lead).

    My suggestion would be to try the Catalyst 5.2 drivers for Win ME (these
    should install OK on Win 98 SE) and then MMC 8.9 (with all its
    prerequisites). You'll need to totally uninstall your existing MMC first
    using add/remove programs then reboot and uninstall the remaining ATI
    drivers and software in add/remove programs. When you do this (as well as
    for any installs) you should turn off all utilities and background
    applications for example antivirus software. Programs running in the
    background are a common cause of software failing to install. The other TV
    Tuner software should also be uninstalled before attempting to install MMC.
    You'll also need to make sure the prerequisites are correctly installed
    (including, but not limited to: DirectX 9.0C, the drivers and DAO/MDAC)
    rebooting after each install.

    You may want to have a look here:
    http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?s=&threadid=33753208 where its
    reported that MMC 9.0 has been successfully installed on a Windows 98SE
    machine. How long has it been since the machine had a fresh install from
    scratch on a newly formatted HDD and has this audio problem always been
    present?

    Paul

    "grolschie" <grolschie@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi there,
    >
    > Nicam TV channels produce constant crackling
    > static sound even with good roof aerial (yet
    > reception is not as good as my actual TV set
    > running on the same aerial). Video is reasonably
    > fine and clear. No static through the soundcard
    on
    > non-nicam channels. So it's not the soundcard
    > causing this. I have turned down the line-in
    > input, to rule out distortion from overdriven
    > soundcard. Switching to mono does not fix this.
    > The TV tuner is unusable on Nican channels
    because
    > of this.
    >
    > I tried diffferent TV tuner software (eg
    PowerVCR
    > II 3.0) and it's the same. So I guess I have a
    > problem with the ATI WDM Capture driver or the
    > physical Radeon 8500DV?
    >
    > OS: Win98SE
    > Cats: 4.7
    > WDM: 6-14-10-6240, have tried an earlier version
    > MMC: 8.8.0.0, but have tried earlier versions
    >
    > Cannot install 8.9.0.0 because of InstallShield
    > error 0x8002000B "Unhandled Exception:".
    >
    > ATI tech support show that they don't properly
    > read the support requests, their stupid
    > suggestions proof it.
    >
    > Is there a way to imrove reception on these
    > things? Mods? Shielding of some sort?
    >
    > Any ideas? Many thanks in advance.
    >
    > Regards,
    > grolschie

    Just wondering, would PSU affect this? Currently
    been running a 300w psu, but can try a 450w.
    /grol

    > "grolschie" <grolschie@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Hi there,
    >>
    >> Nicam TV channels produce constant crackling
    >> static sound even with good roof aerial (yet
    >> reception is not as good as my actual TV set
    >> running on the same aerial). Video is reasonably
    >> fine and clear. No static through the soundcard
    > on
    >> non-nicam channels. So it's not the soundcard
    >> causing this. I have turned down the line-in
    >> input, to rule out distortion from overdriven
    >> soundcard. Switching to mono does not fix this.
    >> The TV tuner is unusable on Nican channels
    > because
    >> of this.
    >>
    >> I tried diffferent TV tuner software (eg
    > PowerVCR
    >> II 3.0) and it's the same. So I guess I have a
    >> problem with the ATI WDM Capture driver or the
    >> physical Radeon 8500DV?
    >>
    >> OS: Win98SE
    >> Cats: 4.7
    >> WDM: 6-14-10-6240, have tried an earlier version
    >> MMC: 8.8.0.0, but have tried earlier versions
    >>
    >> Cannot install 8.9.0.0 because of InstallShield
    >> error 0x8002000B "Unhandled Exception:".
    >>
    >> ATI tech support show that they don't properly
    >> read the support requests, their stupid
    >> suggestions proof it.
    >>
    >> Is there a way to imrove reception on these
    >> things? Mods? Shielding of some sort?
    >>
    >> Any ideas? Many thanks in advance.
    >>
    >> Regards,
    >> grolschie
    >
    > Just wondering, would PSU affect this? Currently
    > been running a 300w psu, but can try a 450w.
    > /grol

    The 8500DV isn't very power hungry by today's standards. A quality 300 Watt
    PSU is plenty for many systems (particularly older hardware) - what are the
    rest of your system specs?

    Paul

    "Paul Murphy" <p_murphynothanks@tospamhotmail.com>
    wrote in message

    > > Just wondering, would PSU affect this?
    Currently
    > > been running a 300w psu, but can try a 450w.
    > > /grol
    > >
    > The 8500DV isn't very power hungry by today's
    standards. A quality 300 Watt
    > PSU is plenty for many systems (particularly
    older hardware) - what are the
    > rest of your system specs?
    >
    > Paul

    Thanks Paul. My specs:
    XP2400+
    512MB DDR
    SB Live 5.1 DE
    Win98SE

    grol

    > "Paul Murphy" <p_murphynothanks@tospamhotmail.com>
    > wrote in message
    >
    >> > Just wondering, would PSU affect this?
    > Currently
    >> > been running a 300w psu, but can try a 450w.
    >> > /grol
    >> >
    >> The 8500DV isn't very power hungry by today's
    > standards. A quality 300 Watt
    >> PSU is plenty for many systems (particularly
    > older hardware) - what are the
    >> rest of your system specs?
    >>
    >> Paul
    >
    > Thanks Paul. My specs:
    > XP2400+
    > 512MB DDR
    > SB Live 5.1 DE
    > Win98SE
    >
    > grol

    Given these specs, the fact the system had worked fine with another card
    (Radeon 9000 - as mentioned in your other post)) and the nature of the
    fault, I'd say the PSU is managing to cope ok and won't be the cause. This
    link to a power calculator:
    http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply/Power_Supply_Calculator.php?cmd=AMD
    also confirms 300 watts should be plenty.

    As long as the existing psu is a decent brand outputting stable power, there
    should be no need for the 450 watt unit.

    wrote in message
> [...]
    > for any installs) you should turn off all
    utilities and background
    > applications for example antivirus software.
    Programs running in the
    > background are a common cause of software
    failing to install. The other TV
    > Tuner software should also be uninstalled before
    attempting to install MMC.
    > You'll also need to make sure the prerequisites
    are correctly installed
    > (including, but not limited to: DirectX 9.0C,
    the drivers and DAO/MDAC)
    > rebooting after each install.
    >
    > You may want to have a look here:

    http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?s=&threadid=33753208
    where its
    > reported that MMC 9.0 has been successfully
    installed on a Windows 98SE
    > machine. How long has it been since the machine
    had a fresh install from
    > scratch on a newly formatted HDD and has this

    Hi Paul,

    Thanks for your reply.

    I tried installing MMC 9.06.1, but the installer
    exits without any message. Perhaps it detects 98SE
    and quits? Is there another version on MMC 9.0, I
    couldn't find one.

    My system was clean installed barely a week ago.
    The first ATI driver install screwed my Windows
    install, requiring a reinstall over-itself. I have
    only had the 8500DV less than a week.

    Previously with my old Radeon 9000 I had many
    BSODs with the Cat 5.2's, reverting to 4.7 fixed
    these. I never tried them with my 8500DV because
    of this.

    I will try the internal cable option. Probably
    better than line-in?
    grol

> [...]
    > are correctly installed
    >> (including, but not limited to: DirectX 9.0C,
    > the drivers and DAO/MDAC)
    >> rebooting after each install.
    >>
    >> You may want to have a look here:
    >>
    > http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?s=&threadid=33753208
    > where its
    >> reported that MMC 9.0 has been successfully
    > installed on a Windows 98SE
    >> machine. How long has it been since the machine
    > had a fresh install from
    >> scratch on a newly formatted HDD and has this
    > audio problem always been
    >> present?
    >>
    >> Paul
    >
    > Hi Paul,
    >
    > Thanks for your reply.
    >
    > I tried installing MMC 9.06.1, but the installer
    > exits without any message. Perhaps it detects 98SE
    > and quits? Is there another version on MMC 9.0, I

    The version I referred to was 9.0 and its available under the previous mmc
    versions for win2k on ATIs website. Look at the left hand menu for Previous
    Drivers and Software. The bottom link takes you to a page with Software
    versions prior to CATALYST 5.1 / Multimedia Center 9.03 and MMC 9.0.0 is
    about half way down it.

    > My system was clean installed barely a week ago.

    Great!

    > The first ATI driver install screwed my Windows
    > install, requiring a reinstall over-itself.

    Not so great. If you've reinstalled the OS while MMC (or ATI drivers) were
    on the system, this could be causing problems and I'd recommend a fresh
    install on a newly formatted HDD, with the software/driver versions I
    previously referred to. I have Cat 5.2's working fine with my (other) Win
    98SE machine with a Radeon All in wonder 32 MB "classic" installed (I even
    think it has MMC 9.0 on it too). It would be wise to only get to the MMC
    installation & testing stage and wait until this is confirmed as working
    fine before installing additional software.

    I have
    > only had the 8500DV less than a week.

    I'm feeling nosey - what does it cost for one of those over there in NZ.
    When I left 5 years ago to live in the UK, ATI were almost unheard of.

    > Previously with my old Radeon 9000 I had many
    > BSODs with the Cat 5.2's, reverting to 4.7 fixed
    > these. I never tried them with my 8500DV because
    > of this.

    Don't let that put you off 5.2. I'd say it was likely some other issue
    causing your problem and not the driver itself. I note from the Radeon
    8500DV Product info page on ATIs website, that the 8500DV isn't officially
    supported under Win 98SE and Win2k and above are the officially supported
    OSs. I've never tried running my 8500DV in my 98SE machine but my hunch is
    it should work fine although there may be issues with the firewire side of
    things if you want to use that. Perhaps someone who has this combination
    could comment?

    > I will try the internal cable option. Probably
    > better than line-in?

    I have 3 All In Wonder equipped machines and all have internal audio
    cables - much more professional than external. Newer high end AIWs under
    newer OS's with the latest drivers don't need the cable at all as ATI has
    swapped over to transferring the audio via the PCI bus. If the problem you
    have is only apparent with certain Nicam encoded programs, its unlikely this
    would be the cause as cables aren't selective. The main thing would be to
    make sure that purple breakout box is carefully but fully and squarely
    plugged into the connector on the back of the card. I've read that the
    connector can be a weak point with the 8500DV so they need carefull handling
    to avoid bent or broken pins.

    wrote in message

    > The version I referred to was 9.0 and its
    available under the previous mmc
    > versions for win2k on ATIs website. Look at the
    left hand menu for Previous
    > Drivers and Software. The bottom link takes you
    to a page with Software
    > versions prior to CATALYST 5.1 / Multimedia
    Center 9.03 and MMC 9.0.0 is
    > about half way down it.

    Sweet. Will grab it and try it. Thanks. What WDM
    version do I need for that?

    > > My system was clean installed barely a week
    ago.

    > Great!
    >
    > > The first ATI driver install screwed my
    Windows
    > > install, requiring a reinstall over-itself.
    >
    > Not so great. If you've reinstalled the OS while
    MMC (or ATI drivers) were
    > on the system, this could be causing problems
    and I'd recommend a fresh
    > install on a newly formatted HDD, with the
    software/driver versions I
    > previously referred to. I have Cat 5.2's working
    fine with my (other) Win
    > 98SE machine with a Radeon All in wonder 32 MB
    "classic" installed (I even
    > think it has MMC 9.0 on it too). It would be
    wise to only get to the MMC
    > installation & testing stage and wait until this
    is confirmed as working
    > fine before installing additional software.

    Ok, so the install order is: OS, Cats, WDM, DAO,
    WindowsMediaEncoder, MMC?

    > I have
    > > only had the 8500DV less than a week.
    >
    > I'm feeling nosey - what does it cost for one of
    those over there in NZ.
    > When I left 5 years ago to live in the UK, ATI
    were almost unheard of.

    When new, they were like NZ$700, which is I guess
    about 350 euros. I got mine brand new old stock
    for a clean $120, which is just a little more than
    a new tv tuner card here. It was a minor upgrade
    for my non-pro 9000, plus the video capture, tv
    and firewire. I was pretty stoked.

    > > Previously with my old Radeon 9000 I had many
    > > BSODs with the Cat 5.2's, reverting to 4.7
    fixed
    > > these. I never tried them with my 8500DV
    because
    > > of this.
    >
    > Don't let that put you off 5.2. I'd say it was
    likely some other issue
    > causing your problem and not the driver itself.
    I note from the Radeon
    > 8500DV Product info page on ATIs website, that
    the 8500DV isn't officially
    > supported under Win 98SE and Win2k and above are
    the officially supported
    > OSs. I've never tried running my 8500DV in my
    98SE machine but my hunch is
    > it should work fine although there may be issues
    with the firewire side of
    > things if you want to use that. Perhaps someone
    who has this combination
    > could comment?

    Ok, will give the 5.2s another go. Firewire works
    great on my PCI firewire card on 98SE. However, I
    have to swap sockets every time, else it freezes
    when I plug in the DV camera. Unfreezed when I
    unplug and put in another socket. Just as well
    I've got 2 firewires on the 8500DV, I should be
    able to free a PCI slot now.

    > > I will try the internal cable option. Probably
    > > better than line-in?
    >
    > I have 3 All In Wonder equipped machines and all
    have internal audio
    > cables - much more professional than external.
    Newer high end AIWs under
    > newer OS's with the latest drivers don't need
    the cable at all as ATI has
    > swapped over to transferring the audio via the
    PCI bus. If the problem you
    > have is only apparent with certain Nicam encoded
    programs, its unlikely this
    > would be the cause as cables aren't selective.
    The main thing would be to
    > make sure that purple breakout box is carefully
    but fully and squarely
    > plugged into the connector on the back of the
    card. I've read that the
    > connector can be a weak point with the 8500DV so
    they need carefull handling
    > to avoid bent or broken pins.

    Yeah, it's a bit wobbly. I wonder how long it will
    hold for. I wonder why it has a green plug that
    goes into the line-out? I mean, the tv goes
    through the soundcard anyways on the line-in. I
    noticed on one set of MMC that sound came out (but
    at different volume) when muting the line-in, but
    on 8.8.0.0 it doesn't.

    > > grol
    > >
    > Paul

    Thanks for your replies Paul. God bless ya!
    grol.

    > "Paul Murphy" <p_murphynothanks@tospamhotmail.com>
    > wrote in message
    >
    >> The version I referred to was 9.0 and its
    > available under the previous mmc
    >> versions for win2k on ATIs website. Look at the
    > left hand menu for Previous
    >> Drivers and Software. The bottom link takes you
    > to a page with Software
    >> versions prior to CATALYST 5.1 / Multimedia
    > Center 9.03 and MMC 9.0.0 is
    >> about half way down it.
    >
    > Sweet. Will grab it and try it. Thanks. What WDM
    > version do I need for that?

    6.14.10.6240 is the newest WDM version listed on ATIs website and goes with
    Catalyst 5.2 drivers for Windows ME/98 (make sure you don't get the win2k or
    XP version by mistake).

    >> > My system was clean installed barely a week
    > ago.
    >>
    >> Great!
    >>
    >> > The first ATI driver install screwed my
    > Windows
    >> > install, requiring a reinstall over-itself.
    >>
    >> Not so great. If you've reinstalled the OS while
    > MMC (or ATI drivers) were
    >> on the system, this could be causing problems
    > and I'd recommend a fresh
    >> install on a newly formatted HDD, with the
    > software/driver versions I
    >> previously referred to. I have Cat 5.2's working
    > fine with my (other) Win
    >> 98SE machine with a Radeon All in wonder 32 MB
    > "classic" installed (I even
    >> think it has MMC 9.0 on it too). It would be
    > wise to only get to the MMC
    >> installation & testing stage and wait until this
    > is confirmed as working
    >> fine before installing additional software.
    >
    > Ok, so the install order is: OS, Cats, WDM, DAO,
    > WindowsMediaEncoder, MMC?

    Nearly, OS, Motherboard chipset drivers, DirectX 9.0C, hardware drivers
    other than for motherboard chipset eg sound and graphics (WDMs before
    Catalyst 5.2), Windows Media Encoder, DAO/MDAC, MMC. Make sure you reboot
    after each install except between the WDMs and Cat 5.2 - reboot after Cat
    5.2. Make sure no other software is loaded before you've got MMC up and
    running/tested OK that way if there's a problem and you have to do it again,
    its less time wasted.

    ess than a week.

    >> I'm feeling nosey - what does it cost for one of
    > those over there in NZ.
    >> When I left 5 years ago to live in the UK, ATI
    > were almost unheard of.
    >
    > When new, they were like NZ$700, which is I guess
    > about 350 euros. I got mine brand new old stock
    > for a clean $120, which is just a little more than
    > a new tv tuner card here. It was a minor upgrade
    > for my non-pro 9000, plus the video capture, tv
    > and firewire. I was pretty stoked.

    There must have been a big glut of them - I got mine as a refurbished card
    from an eBay store for about £18 + £15 or so for a new purple cable from a
    seperate eBay store. I use my MMC CD and remote wonder from another AIW
    Radeon (ATI mistakenly sent me a second CD and both were free). I agree that
    NZ$ 120 is good going for a new one - presumably Hercules brand?

    >> > Previously with my old Radeon 9000 I had many
    >> > BSODs with the Cat 5.2's, reverting to 4.7
    > fixed
    >> > these. I never tried them with my 8500DV
    > because
    >> > of this.
    >>
    >> Don't let that put you off 5.2. I'd say it was
    > likely some other issue
    >> causing your problem and not the driver itself.
    > I note from the Radeon
    >> 8500DV Product info page on ATIs website, that
    > the 8500DV isn't officially
    >> supported under Win 98SE and Win2k and above are
    > the officially supported
    >> OSs. I've never tried running my 8500DV in my
    > 98SE machine but my hunch is
    >> it should work fine although there may be issues
    > with the firewire side of
    >> things if you want to use that. Perhaps someone
    > who has this combination
    >> could comment?
    >
    > Ok, will give the 5.2s another go. Firewire works
    > great on my PCI firewire card on 98SE. However, I
    > have to swap sockets every time, else it freezes
    > when I plug in the DV camera. Unfreezed when I
    > unplug and put in another socket. Just as well
    > I've got 2 firewires on the 8500DV, I should be
    > able to free a PCI slot now.

    I've not used my cards firewire ports but they're enabled in case I need
    them (there are a couple of tiny slide switches on the card which turn the
    ports on or off), also a floppy drive power connector which supplies
    additional power for firewire devices.

    <snip>

    wrote in message

    > There must have been a big glut of them - I got
    mine as a refurbished card
    > from an eBay store for about £18 + £15 or so for
    a new purple cable from a
    > seperate eBay store. I use my MMC CD and remote
    wonder from another AIW
    > Radeon (ATI mistakenly sent me a second CD and
    both were free). I agree that
    > NZ$ 120 is good going for a new one - presumably
    Hercules brand?

    Made by ATI. :-)

    > I've not used my cards firewire ports but
    they're enabled in case I need
    > them (there are a couple of tiny slide switches
    on the card which turn the
    > ports on or off), also a floppy drive power
    connector which supplies
    > additional power for firewire devices.

    I never noticed the floppy drive power connector.
    I think I'll put my card out and take a closer
    look at it. I didn't receive any manuals with the
    card. The card was brand new in a sealed
    anti-static bag - no box.

    grol

    "grolschie" <grolschie@gmail.com> wrote in message

    <snip>
    > I never noticed the floppy drive power connector.
    > I think I'll put my card out and take a closer
    > look at it. I didn't receive any manuals with the
    > card. The card was brand new in a sealed
    > anti-static bag - no box.

    There are manuals galore and even knowledgebase articles related to the
    firewire port switches and floppy drive style power connector at ATIs
    website - all you could need. The default settings are for both firewire
    ports switched on and a floppy style power supply connection isn't necessary
    unless your specific firewire devices draw their power supply directly from
    the firewire ports.

    Paul

Radeon TV Sound Cards ATI Graphics