Firewall settings for non-domain machines

We are running a Windows 2000 AD domain and manage our firewall
settings via Group Policies for our Windows XP SP2 clients. This works
well for all machines in our domain.

However, we have a pool of checkout laptops that are non-domain
machines (allows the borrower to use the machine without first caching
credentials from the domain). These machines are set to automatically
logon using a restricted account, i.e., users do not have the ability
to select Unblock when the firewall blocks traffic. These machines
never see the domain firewall settings from the Default Workstation
policy.

Has anyone come across a way to manage Firewall settings for machines
of this type? We're contemplating using NETSH FIREWALL to create the
settings, but are not really excited about it.

Thanks,
John
1 answer Last reply
More about firewall settings domain machines

    Microsoft Shared Computer Toolkit for Windows XP (Beta)
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=7256d456-e3da-42ea-857d-92b716077a84&displaylang=en

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "John" wrote:

    | We are running a Windows 2000 AD domain and manage our firewall
    | settings via Group Policies for our Windows XP SP2 clients. This works
    | well for all machines in our domain.
    |
    | However, we have a pool of checkout laptops that are non-domain
    | machines (allows the borrower to use the machine without first caching
    | credentials from the domain). These machines are set to automatically
    | logon using a restricted account, i.e., users do not have the ability
    | to select Unblock when the firewall blocks traffic. These machines
    | never see the domain firewall settings from the Default Workstation
    | policy.
    |
    | Has anyone come across a way to manage Firewall settings for machines
    | of this type? We're contemplating using NETSH FIREWALL to create the
    | settings, but are not really excited about it.
    |
    | Thanks,
    | John

Domain Firewalls Windows XP