Anyone know the status of Microsoft's antivirus software?

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2003/jun03/06-10gecadpr.mspx

This article says that Microsoft bought GeCAD / RAV antivirus, but I haven't
heard anything else. Anyone have any updates on this?

Thanks
4 answers Last reply
More about anyone status microsoft antivirus software

    Anti virus will be part of Windows One Care:
    http://beta.windowsonecare.com/

    --
    Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

    "MWH" <MWH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2003/jun03/06-10gecadpr.mspx
    >
    > This article says that Microsoft bought GeCAD / RAV antivirus, but I
    > haven't
    > heard anything else. Anyone have any updates on this?
    >
    > Thanks

    The press release says "Windows OneCare is being designed to address core
    safety concerns such as worms, viruses and spyware..."

    It seems that Microsoft will have multiple spyware programs. One will be
    included in a multi-purpose subscription package and the other will be free.
    Has anyone heard if this will affect the free status of Microsoft Antispyware
    currently in beta, but previously announced by Microsoft that it is to be
    free to consumers when it is released following beta testing?

    "Jupiter Jones [MVP]" wrote:

    > Anti virus will be part of Windows One Care:
    > http://beta.windowsonecare.com/
    >
    > --
    > Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    > http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
    > http://www.dts-l.org
    >

    > "MWH" <MWH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2003/jun03/06-10gecadpr.mspx
    > >
    > > This article says that Microsoft bought GeCAD / RAV antivirus, but I
    > > haven't
    > > heard anything else. Anyone have any updates on this?
    > >
    > > Thanks

    Everything so far suggests MSAS will be free for home users.
    Businesses will probably have to pay.
    More information is available at the MSAS newsgroups:
    http://communities.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.asp?ICP=spyware&sLCID=us

    --

    "CurtB" <CurtB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > The press release says "Windows OneCare is being designed to address core
    > safety concerns such as worms, viruses and spyware..."
    >
    > It seems that Microsoft will have multiple spyware programs. One will be
    > included in a multi-purpose subscription package and the other will be
    > free.
    > Has anyone heard if this will affect the free status of Microsoft
    > Antispyware
    > currently in beta, but previously announced by Microsoft that it is to be
    > free to consumers when it is released following beta testing?

    Thanks, that's what I last heard about it too, but I wanted to make sure I
    hadn't missed an announcement. I hope that remains the case because it is a
    useful tool that provides a lot more than just spyware detection and removal.

    "Jupiter Jones [MVP]" wrote:

    > Everything so far suggests MSAS will be free for home users.
    > Businesses will probably have to pay.
    > More information is available at the MSAS newsgroups:
    > http://communities.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.asp?ICP=spyware&sLCID=us
    >
    > --
    > Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    > http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
    > http://www.dts-l.org
    >

    > "CurtB" <CurtB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > The press release says "Windows OneCare is being designed to address core
    > > safety concerns such as worms, viruses and spyware..."
    > >
    > > It seems that Microsoft will have multiple spyware programs. One will be
    > > included in a multi-purpose subscription package and the other will be
    > > free.
    > > Has anyone heard if this will affect the free status of Microsoft
    > > Antispyware
    > > currently in beta, but previously announced by Microsoft that it is to be
    > > free to consumers when it is released following beta testing?

Microsoft Antivirus Software Windows XP