Ok, Im 13 so plz make this simple enought for me to understand please.
I have 1500+ music which took me a very long time and lots of money to
download, and reccently my "C:" drive, which is XP Home, has "crashed", so i
put in a new HD and installed Xp Professional and i cannot access my files
for i have password protected them (it says access denied), i tried using
file scavenger and programs like so and they want me to pay. Being only 13
and parents not wanting to pay i will not purchase the program. So i was
wondering how i can retrieve the files, i hope i made the problem clear and
hope i can get all my music back.

See Help and Support and search for "take ownership"

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=308421

HOW TO: Set, View, Change, or Remove File and Folder Permissions in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308418

HOW TO: Set, View, Change, or Remove Special Permissions for Files and Folders
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;308419

HOW TO: Disable Simplified Sharing and Password-Protect a Shared Folder in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;307874

Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
--------------------------------
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

"Stumped" <Stumped@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:86D2F4BD-956D-4E7E-93D8-05B1E021B8A6@microsoft.com...
> Ok, Im 13 so plz make this simple enought for me to understand please.
> I have 1500+ music which took me a very long time and lots of money to
> download, and reccently my "C:" drive, which is XP Home, has "crashed", so i
> put in a new HD and installed Xp Professional and i cannot access my files
> for i have password protected them (it says access denied), i tried using
> file scavenger and programs like so and they want me to pay. Being only 13
> and parents not wanting to pay i will not purchase the program. So i was
> wondering how i can retrieve the files, i hope i made the problem clear and
> hope i can get all my music back.

i cant find my hard drive..the one that is where my files are...its there but
it wont show on "My Computer" and i havent touched the wires or anything

"Doug Knox MS-MVP" wrote:

> See Help and Support and search for "take ownership"
>
> HOW TO: Take Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=308421
>
> HOW TO: Set, View, Change, or Remove File and Folder Permissions in Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308418
>
> HOW TO: Set, View, Change, or Remove Special Permissions for Files and Folders
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;308419
>
> HOW TO: Disable Simplified Sharing and Password-Protect a Shared Folder in Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;307874

> Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
> http://www.dougknox.com
> --------------------------------
> --------------------------------
> Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.
>
> "Stumped" <Stumped@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:86D2F4BD-956D-4E7E-93D8-05B1E021B8A6@microsoft.com...
> > Ok, Im 13 so plz make this simple enought for me to understand please.
> > I have 1500+ music which took me a very long time and lots of money to
> > download, and reccently my "C:" drive, which is XP Home, has "crashed", so i
> > put in a new HD and installed Xp Professional and i cannot access my files
> > for i have password protected them (it says access denied), i tried using
> > file scavenger and programs like so and they want me to pay. Being only 13
> > and parents not wanting to pay i will not purchase the program. So i was
> > wondering how i can retrieve the files, i hope i made the problem clear and
> > hope i can get all my music back.

In that case, right click My Computer, select Manage, Disk Management. Locate the missing drive in the right panes. Right click it and select Change Drive Letter and Paths. Assign a drive letter to the drive.